Another VW Passat misfire - hellojohn
I own a 1997 Mk5 Passat 1.8 20V. It started to misfire last weekend running intermittently on anything from 2, 3 or all 4 cylinders.

I have since changed the plugs, and the coil pack and this has not made a difference. Also, I have ran a compression test without receiving an adverse result.

I therefore deduct that there may be a fault must be with whatever powers the coil. What is this? And where can I find this item? Where can I find this item.

However....

I have also read somewhere that carbon build up in the intake manifold can also cause misfires. This is an interesting tidbid as my car started backfiring before it started misfiring.

Also, my multipoint fuel injected car runs on LPG using a single point LPG injection system (Leonardo). I mention this in case it may increase the chance of carbon build up?

Anyway, the backfires only ever happened on 3 occasions.
> 6th Aug after 60 mile motorway journey. The backfire seemed to be in the manifold? As it was not loud but I could feel it through the pedals, and it felt liked it had jumped out of gear or blown up!
> 29th Aug after a 100 mile motorway journey. The car backfired just as it had before.
>3rd Sept After a 4000 YARD journey. The car backfired repeatedly and and very loudly and behind my driving position, probably further down the exhaust system.
Another VW Passat misfire - dougielogan
get it on to a scanner of some sort and get the fault codes read, it sounds if it could be the air mass meter.
Another VW Passat misfire - hellojohn
Thanks for the advice, I have that booked.

May I just add I ran it on Gas on 18th Sept and it ran on all four cylinders, took it for a quick 600yd jaunt (steadylike). Just before I got home it backfired which stalled the engine and now it runs worse than ever on petrol and on gas - whooops.