Vauxhall Indicators - peterb
I seem to remember some moans about these two-three years ago. Naively, I imagined they'd sorted it by now...

I had an Astra (1.6 SXi) hire car earlier in the week. A pretty good car and a big improvement over other Vauxhalls I've driven. But...

The indicator (and wiper) stalks drove me 'round the bend. Every time I cancelled an indicator I ended up indicating the other way and the easiest way to stop the winscreen wipers and bidet working was to switch the ignition off....

WHY?!!!!!!!
Vauxhall Indicators - SjB {P}
See www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=34296&...e and the posts that follow.

Vauxhall Indicators - turbo11
I had a vectra hire car.Yes,the indicators are a rubbish idea.whats wrong with traditional indicator stalk mechanisms.As we say in the trade"don't fix what ain't broke"
Vauxhall Indicators - henry k
As we say in the trade"don't fix what ain't broke"
>>
Do tell Ford as they have rubbish headlamp flashers on the Focus.
Vauxhall Indicators - Adam {P}
Agreed. Why couldn't they stick to the old Ford way of doing it?
--
Adam
Vauxhall Indicators - Dynamic Dave
WHY?!!!!!!!

Progress and new technology, Personally I don't have any problem with them. However I do hate the artificial 'tick tock' in the latest Astra. The artificial 'tick tock' in my Vectra sounds more like a real indicator relay.
Vauxhall Indicators - Craggyislander
Haven't BMW gone over to these as well? I am used to the ones on my Vectra now - the only thing I dont like is the tendency for them to self cancel just at the most inappropriate moment - like in the middle of a turn.
As for the wipers - no problem with the way they are switched at all,in fact I like em!
Vauxhall Indicators - Pugugly {P}
Haven't BMW gone over to these as well?
Yes.
Vauxhall Indicators - Avant
If you drive one of these every day I'm sure you get used to the indicators. But Peter's point is 'why?'. There's nothing wrong with the VAG system where a light tap up or down gives 3 flashes for a lane change, and moving the stalk fully leaves it in position until it self-cancels.

Manufacturers should stop trying to be too clever. Leaving aside the obviously important areas of performance, economy and ride / handling, one of the good things about the two VAG cars I've had are the lack of the things that infuriate. Both the Golf Estate and the A4 Avant have, apart from the aforementioned indicators:

- supportive seats
- clear analogue instruments in front of the driver
- combined ignition / starter
- handbrake between the seats
- full-size spare wheel
- map pockets that can take maps
- the ability for the driver to see out of the back when reversing
- windscreen wash-wipe stalk which you pull for windscreen wash, push away from you for bidet.

Not an unreasonable list is it - but there are an awful lot of cars which deny you these simple pleasures. It makes a difference, both for people new to a car and for those doing long trips like the one I've just done to Perth and Stirling and back the next day.

If VWs and Audis are too high a price to pay for the privilege, I think you get most if not all of that lot on a Skoda.
Vauxhall Indicators - rtj70
Had a few Vectras as temporary hire cars and those indicators took some learning. The surrounding cars will wonder what you're doing whilst you learn how they work --- because you start driving before realise they don't work like 99% of other cars you've driven.

I did like the slight depress and three flashes for indicators. But my current Mondeo does that (like the current VAG cars) but to switch on properly they click/move as you'd expect and cancel intuitively too. And lights are standard Ford for now... don't like mainbeam/flash of lights though.

So out of ten, Vauxhall/Opel/GM get 0.
Vauxhall Indicators - Dynamic Dave
Here's a helpful tip with anyone struggling with Vauxhall indicators.

If you want to cancel them yourself, DON'T flick the indicator stalk in the opposite direction to where you're already indicating - flick the indicator stalk lightly in the same direction. That way if you do happen to press too hard the same indicator stays on rather than accidentally turning the other side on. ie. If you're indicating right, then lightly tap the stalk toward the right to cancel.
Vauxhall Indicators - mike hannon
When I took my driving test I had to indicate by sticking my right arm out of the window. I think if I had a new Vauxhall I'd go back to doing just that.