nissan primera 1994 abs light - nutty_nissan
Light comes on and then off as part of diagnostic check when starting engine. Once car moves off and reaches a speed of about 5mph, the light comes on, and stays on. A mate reckoned one of the abs speed sensors is dirty, and just needs a clean. Any ideas? How do I check this?
nissan primera 1994 abs light - Dynamic Dave
Your mate's diagnostic sounds about right. The ABS system does a self check once moving off. Remove each wheel in turn and look to see if the sensor has a build up of crud on it. The sensors on the front *should* sit quite closely to the outer driveshafts. Not sure about the rear wheels, but I imagine the sensor is around the back of the hub somewhere.
Thanks. In the meantime, the standard braking system is still ok, but it's the ABS that is off?
nissan primera 1994 abs light - Aprilia
This system is 'safe' with the ABS inactive - i.e. brakes work as normal but without ABS.

It could be a sensor fault, but the usual source of this problem on a Primera is a cracked reluctor ring (the toothed ring that the sensor is pointed at). Usually it is the front nearside one. Easiest option is to replace the CV joint, of which it is a component.
Take your front wheels off and investigate thoroughly..
Thanks for the insight. Any ideas how much a CV joint would cost to get replaced?
nissan primera 1994 abs light - Aprilia
An aftermarket CV joint would cost me either £35 or about £80 - depending on which model Primera you have. Make sure you get the one for ABS cars (42 little teeth on a ring). It is then 1-2 hours labour, depending on who does the job. Any independent should be able to do it. I would say overall not more than £200, probably considerablly less depending on your local labour rates.
Check it is actually a cracked ring before replacing though!