Voiding warranty - can they do this? - andy76
I have a 2 and a half year old Clio 172 and need to get all the brake discs and pads changed.
I can either get the parts and do it myself or have other contacts that can do it for me fairly cheaply.

However, when I questioned my local dealer I was told that if the work was NOT carried out by an authorised Reanult dealer/garage I would VOID the ENTIRE warranty on the vehicle.

The car still has 6 months warranty, but the dealer wants to charge nearly £600 to the job where as I can source the parts myself for less than £200 and get them fitted for no more than an extra £100.

Can the dealer/renault leagally void a warranty in this way?
I can understand if they said the brakes were no longer covered.
Surely, brakes, as a consumable should be exempt and I should be able to get them changed where and when I require it?

On this line getting tyres changed would also void a warranty?!
The exhaust will also need changing shortly too!!

An exasperated Renault owner.
Andrew
Voiding warranty - can they do this? - Adam {P}
I'm almost sure that there's a law of some sort (which someone will be able to help you with) that states you can have the car serviced (thinking about it - not sure if this covers repairs or not) anywhere to stop dealers having the monopoly.

The only proviso is that you use OEM parts but I'm not sure this applies to something like discs or just to servicing.

Someone will be along soon to help more....or even at all which will be more than I did!
--
Adam
Voiding warranty - can they do this? - Stuartli
I also thought that a ruling had been brought in whereby new car owners who have their vehicles serviced, repaired etc at other than a franchised dealership did not lose their warranty rights.

Whether any progress was made on these reports will have to be ferreted out:

tinyurl.com/8ou7l

tinyurl.com/7jkeu
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Voiding warranty - can they do this? - Adam {P}
I'm 99% certain Stuart that you're right in as much that you can get it serviced anywhere you like. I'm only unsure of the repair side of things but I'd be surprised if it were any different.
--
Adam
Voiding warranty - can they do this? - David Horn
Believe the only requirement is that the fitting garage is VAT registered.
IIRC it was to bring an end to the monopoly enjoyed by manufacturers and franchised dealers which was generally considered by the public as being outside the force and benefits of most consumer protection legislation.

Yet a car is, more often than not, the second most expensive purchase buyers normally make.
PS

The most informative information will be gained by contacting your local Trading Standards office - I've always found the staff of my local office more than willing to assist and advise as much as possible on the occasions I've had reason to approach them.
Thanks everyone for the replies so far.
If anyone else has additional info I would still be interested to hear it.
I will be ringing both Trading Standards and renault UK on Monday to see what both sides have to say.

The posts all agree with what I thought but I wanted some confirmation before I get awkward about it.

I could just get the discs changed anyway but I wanted some thoughts on the situation first in case I suddenly need a warranty claim - sods law says that is bound to be the case!!

Andrew
Voiding warranty - can they do this? - BobbyG
Andy, attached is the reply I got from renault when I asked about the rules regarding getting an oil and filter change. Would imagine it would be a similar scenario for your brakes.

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the servicing of your Renault Scenic 1.9dci.

I can confirm you are entitled to take your vehicle to a fast fit centre to carry out your service if you wish to do so. However, please be aware that any servicing must be carried out to Renault standards and using genuine Renault parts to prevent any implications on your warranty.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Renault and if you would like any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated Customer Services department on 0800 072 33 72. Our department is open from 8.30am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank holidays) and is committed to providing the best service in the industry.

Regards

Renault Customer Services
www.renault.co.uk

{Address shortened to remove persons name. DD}

Voiding warranty - can they do this? - PhilW
Hang on a mo! Is the warranty a 3 year warranty from Renault or, like my car, a one year manufacturers warranty followed by a 2 year dealer warranty? My local independent tried to persuade me to get mine serviced by him rather than the main dealer and gave me the relevant literature but I gathered from this that it only covered manufacturers warranty, not dealer warranty and therefore I would have to continue to have it serviced at the dealer until it was 3 years old. After that I will go to the independent!
I will try to find the relevant leaflet.
Can't find leaflet but this may be of use
www.oft.gov.uk/News/Press+releases/2004/85-04.htm
I get the impression you would be OK getting it done elsewhere provided it complies with certain conditions.
Renault is specifically mentioned in note 1
A few more interesting replies there!
Reply from Customer Services is promising - just dropped them an email too.
Yes, I guess years 2 and 3 are dealer backed warranties.

Guess perhaps I have found a grey area!

Andrew
Sorry, didn't realise that Stuart had already provided a link to same place I quoted above.
In my ignorance, I'm interested in how this would work. I can understand that a main dealer carrying out warranty work would (I suppose?) get his money for parts, labour charges etc back from the manufacturer, but how would an independent do it?
If Andy gets the work done elsewhere does he pay the bill then claim it back? (Perhaps even claim back the £600 that the dealer quoted??)Does the independent say to Renault (or the dealer) "We have done £300 worth of warranty work on one of your cars and would like you to pay us the money"?. Would the manufacturer want to have his main dealer inspect the car first to make sure the work was "under warranty" then approve the independent? Would the independent write to Renault and say "We have done warranty work that your dealer quoted at £600, please pay us that" (And conveniently omit to mention that they did the work for £300?)
How does it work??
Voiding warranty - can they do this? - andymc {P}
I thought that as of over 3 years ago, all cars sold in the EU had to have at least two years of warranty backed by the manufacturer - is this not the case? I understood this meant that three year warranties would consist of two years from the manufacturer and one from the dealer - for some companies (such as Toyota) all three years of warranty are backed by the manufacturer. Certainly when I imported my Seat from Holland in late 2001, I had organised a two-year aftermarket warranty at the time of ordering to make sure I wasn't left with just one year of cover. However, Seat introduced the standard two year manufacturer's warranty in early 2002, as the rules would have compelled them to do so quite soon anyway, and back-dated it for all cars manufactured from September 2001, which meant I was able to change the date from which my aftermarket warranty took effect and ended up with four years' cover in total.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Philw - thanks for the link too.
I re read it and it makes it clearer second time round!
Just to clarify - the work I want doing is NOT warranty work in itself so there would be no issue with an independant garage having to claim from Renault.

It is just that Renault are saying to me that any work carried out by independants will VOID the warranty for any future claims.

Just looked through the paper work that came with the car - purchased second hand.
It actually has ONE year manufacturers and TWO years dealer warranty and goes on to say that it must be serviced and dealer stamped by Renault to qualify, but makes no mention of other non service work.
This is of course prior to the new OFT regs.

One thought - if my car was registered in 2003, which was before the OFT article above, do the new regs affect it?

Andrew
Voiding warranty - can they do this? - nick
If you had the brakes done somewhere else, how would Renault ever know? If you wanted to make a warranty claim on the brakes, maybe, but otherwise? If you went in with an engine problem, would they check to see if Renault discs are fitted? I doubt it. Of course, the cat may now be out of the bag as you have asked the question of them.
Well spoke to both Trading Standards and Renault today.
Trading Standards were fairly useless to be honest. First off they weren't sure and did not know about the OFT report.
Finally came to the conclusion that even now some manufacturers can/have restrictions relating to warranty and anyway as the car was registered before the new legislation came out it would not be applicabale.

Renault though have basically said what others here have.
That is, that if the work is carried out by a VAT registered garage to Renault standards using Renault parts there should be no problem.
First off they said I could not do the work myself but after digging they effectively said that if I did the work then any claim relating to the brakes or a problem that could be attributed to the work I did would be invalid.

Inmportant thing from my original question was that whatever the circumstance it would NOT invalidate the whole warranty, contrary to what the dealer told me.

I shall be having words with the dealer....

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Pays not to listen to the dealer all the time! Really annoying thing about this is I know the dealer really well - I even used to work there!

Andrew
Voiding warranty - can they do this? - Bill Payer
Does the dealer have a fast-fit (Renault Minute) facility? They might be more competitive, or else ask the dealer to compete with the Indy's quote.
Just found this which might clear up a few points:

www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/blockcars.htm
Voiding warranty - can they do this? - v8man
If the dealer is anything like my local Renault dealer you would be best off going elsewhere anyway.
The law you are all refering to is the removal of block exemption. You can get your car serviced elsewhere providing it is done to the manufacturers standards. I think Renault would indeed recognise if the parts fitted were not original as the part numbers would be missing!
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
>>The law you are all refering to is the removal of block exemption.>>

That is made clear by the link I posted last night.

Unfortunately, when the thread was active, the words "block exemption" were unbeknown to us - I came across it quite by chance looking for something else.