Duplicate Tax Disc - holly1
How long does it take to obtain a duplicate tax disc?

I ask because I think my employers arent telling the full truth. The tax expired on some of our vans on 31st July 2005, original discs posted to us from our head office but they never arrived. Been fighting for duplicates ever since, but been told it takes a long time for them to come through. Its now 31st August 2005 and still no tax discs. Do duplicates really take this long?

Head office say if the drivers get pulled they should tell the Police the vehicles are taxed and we are awaiting duplicate discs, but understandably the drivers are concerned. What are the implications of driving a vehicle which is taxed but not displaying a current tax disc.

Thanks
Duplicate Tax Disc - commerdriver
Duplicates are available over the counter at a DVLA office
I think you can still be done for not displaying but one of the BR experts will probably be along soon
Duplicate Tax Disc - Adam {P}
Your best bet is DVD or PU to come along (which they undoubtedly will very soon).

As I understand, theres an offence for the vehicles not being taxed (which hopefully they are) and a separate offence for not displaying the tax disc. From memory, this isn't as severe but I'm afraid I can't remember the specifics.

One of the lads will know more.
--
Adam
Duplicate Tax Disc - Dwight Van Driver
Shouldn't take that long IMHo. DVLA should confirm.

Section 33, Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994, use, or keep on a public road a vehicle for which Excise Duty chargeable and if no such Licence is exhibited - OFFENCE - 200 note fine.

Mention is made that these are firms van so will be out and about on Firm's business so THEY ARE LIABLE as users. Use that bit of info to get them to get it sorted.....fast.

dvd
Duplicate Tax Disc - holly1
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Drivers have refused to use the vehicles as of today so hopefully our head office with get their act together and get something sorted. They use a vehicle management company so its probably taking so long because they do everything by post - cannot see anyone nipping down to the local DVLA office for duplicates.
Duplicate Tax Disc - Bill Payer
So who is committing an offence, is it the drivers, the company, or both?
If it's the company, is it the local branch or head office (they may legally be separate companies) or is it the vehicle management company (typically a leasing company?

As an (ex) company car driver this used to apply to me (and in the structure I've outlined above). My tax disk *always* came late and I've several rows about it over the years.
Duplicate Tax Disc - Frankoids
Had a similar problem when driving a company van many moons ago although this time it was "insurance" that was lacking, not to my knowledge I assure you! Was waiting in court to cop for it when the duty solicitor/barrister stood up, quoted some past case and I was cleared due to being a company van on company business.

Re Dupicate Tax Disc, aplied online 17 Aug, on 7th Day 26/08, asked for duplicate to be sent out, dupicate finally arrived today,previous disc expires tomorrow, no sign of original.

When on the phone to DVLA they said I could, to make sure I had a new disc on time, pick up a duplicate from nearest Licence Office, Stanmore I think, a nice 15 mile journey across London. Mentioned that this was not the reason I applied online!!

Will take a good old fashioned walk down to the P.O. next year!
Duplicate Tax Disc - Pugugly {P}
Down to the company. I hope they are insured though....

Basically comes under the Use, Cause or Permit rules.

Driver always "uses" owner may also use if in the passenger seat,
permit is where I lend you my car/van/bike and you use (e.g. no insurance x2 then) Cause is where the company own (usually the poor old Company Secretary) and instruct a driver to "use", liability is always on an individual. VEL rules a bit different. DVLA prosecute based in information laid in the old days by the Police increasingly now by their own "agents" look out for multi-agency stop checks. Police round here sieze untaxed vehilces through liaison with DVLA office. If they are untaxed the company will get hammered. No points. Very rare for a driver to get done for fail to display although there is a fixed penalty offence code for it.
Duplicate Tax Disc - martint123
Could you check on the dvla web site to see if really has been taxed??