Reshells and VICS - Annie sw
Has anyone gone through the process of reshelling a Cat C vehicle and can clarify the process for me?

Do I take the car to be inspected by the DVLA and then try for a VIC?

I've already tried applying for a VIC to be told that as the new shell won't have the VIN number stamped in it that they can't VIC it. I can't believe that this is the case. Does anyone know please?
Reshells and VICS - martint123
I think you have to go via the DVLA to get a VIN number first.

www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regrebil.htm

Vehicle Identification Number

This is a legal requirement for all vehicles used on the public highway to carry a Vehicle Identity Number (VIN). This may be lost when a vehicle is substantially rebuilt, particularly in the case of kit vehicles where the chassis/bodyshell may not have been stamped by the manufacturer. In such circumstances the DVLA Local Office will allocate a replacement VIN.

Reshells and VICS - Annie sw
However that comes under Part B of that page - my car falls into A. Vehicles that have been rebuilt using a mix of new/used parts, and complies fully with that. The Vin plate was transferred with the rest of the vehicle, it's only the stamped VIN number in the original shell that is not present. With the exception of the body shell the car is the same vehicle as the VIN was originally allocated to.