Insuring car from discount dealer - macklane
Over the last few months I have been considering buying a new car from one of the discount dealers that advertise on the internet (including some on this site).
All the ones that have given me quotes say,that in order to be able to give the discount, they have to retain the registration document for up to 6 months.
I finally placed an order with one of these companies for delivery in September.
I have recently contacted my insurance company for an amended premium for the new car, and they have told me that they can not insure me unless I am the registered keeper of the vehicle. I have since made enquiries to several other companies, all of whom give me the same answer.

Does anyone know how to get insurance under these circumstances?
Insuring car from discount dealer - Armitage Shanks {p}
They may want to retain the document although I can't think why, but you can still be the registered keeper of the car on the document, wherever it is actually kept SFAIK
Insuring car from discount dealer - Blue {P}
If you're stuck then you could try Elephant.co.uk they insured me on a car that was registered under my dad's name instead of mine, but they might get twitchy about a car that is still registered to the garage.

They probably need to keep the reg document as it will still be under the name of a company like a rental fleet or something, they get the cars cheap so long as they are not sold on within 6 months sometimes.

Something similar used to happen with Ford demonstrator cars, I'll stress it never happened at the company I worked for, but basically, when Ford give a dealer a discount on a demo car, they have to keep it on the demo fleet for 3 months. When the new Mondeo ST TDCi came out I know of a dealership who sold their demo in the first week and just hung onto the logbook for 3 months before changing it into the customer's name.

Blue
Insuring car from discount dealer - Collos25
They cannot keep the documents there is some sort of tax scam involving vat going here.Docs or no sale.The old adage buyer beware.