306 1.9TD - thomp1983
ok furthur to an old topic the headgasket has gone on my 306 and now im coming round to doing it thought id check see if im missing anything or if theres anything should be done at the time of the head being off, so far im doing/getting

headgasket,
headset,
headbolts,
glow plugs,
cambelt,
water pump,
oil filter,
15/40 diesel oil,
fuel filter,
air filter,

anybody think of anything else i should get or jobs to do? the head will be taken apart and cleaned up/decoked with a wire brush and put back together and everything checked.

cheers
chris
306 1.9TD - Crinkly Dave
Might be a good idea to check valve clearances before you take it off, so that if it needs reshimming you can have this done. The engineer may just check the head flatness for you to confirm if it needs machining
306 1.9TD - thomp1983
mmm in all honesty i wasn't even sending it to an engineers for skimming, the headgasket has only gone very recently only sign it's playing up is slight water usuage and slight mpg loss so can't see there bein an issue with the head needing a skim. valve clearences i can check anyway have all the relevent kit as stepdad is an engineer

chris
306 1.9TD - glowplug
Perhaps a cam belt tensioner, although this could add around £50 to the cost it would be a shame if after all that work it failed. If you are having the head checked then may be have it pressure tested too just in case there are any cracks.

Steve.
306 1.9TD - RichardW
You won't need a 'headset' as that only contains all the things you've listed (although maybe cam seals as well). The tensioner may need changing, but they're very robust and reliable on this engine - just check it for roughness / play. Use a quality head gasket (Meillor for preference). Only use Beru glow plugs, otherwise you'll have to do them again soon. Change the seal between the intercooler and inlet manifold (dealer only, but cheap). You'll need a new inlet / exhaust manifold gasket, and probably a thermostat housing gasket as well. Might be worth changing the stat as well while you've got it adrfit. Use good quality antifreeze to protect the heater matrix. If you want it to last, I'd recommend a head skim - at the very least, VERY careful checking that it's still flat - these heads warp on a whim.

Anything else? Lots of sticking plasters, cups of tea, large swear box..... Have fun!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
306 1.9TD - thomp1983
headseat will contain all the necessary gaskets thats why im getting it, really don't see the head being an issue but ill check it once it's off then decide

chris
306 1.9TD - Collos25
A torque wrench
306 1.9TD - hm
Hi there,

What you have listed and what I have read in this post seems fine.....but please, at least check the head and the block tolerance before changing her.

Also, you will need an angle measuring torque wrench as the bolts are stretch bolts.........have fun when you stretch them, if you have never done it before it can be quite uncomfortable.

WD40 is also a good idea the night before you start, spray it on the manifold bolts and the turbo bolts, these are oftern rusty and seized.

er...can not remember much else....did you say you were going to replace the cam belt? I hope so whilst you are there.

Richard W, I'm afraid I must disagree about the glowplugs, I always fit Bosch Duran, cost a little extra but are well worth the money, I have had mine fitted for over 3 years and she has never missed a beat.....

oh, coolant?
306 1.9TD - Bromptonaut
Anything else? Lots of sticking plasters, cups of tea, large
swear box..... Have fun!

Anyone else remember a piece in Diesel Car about 10yrs ago, probably by Ivor Carroll, describing this job ob a BX Turbo. A bottle or two of strong drink may be needed as well.

I'd get the head professionaly checked/skimmed; it'd be an awful shame to have to take it off a second time!
306 1.9TD - thomp1983
don't really see where people get so frustrated and upset working on engines i find it quite relaxing and easy really and just think of the things like bolts brekaing as part of the challenge really would be no fun if it went perfectly smoothly

chris
306 1.9TD - RichardW
I too enjoy working on engines, but whilst there are many good points about the XUD's design (eg robust cambelt tensioner, with auto tensioning, bomb proof bottom end) there are some things that are awful. Like the later bolt on cambelt covers that save about 20p on the engine's construction. Not too bad, except that the bolt down the back is invisible, almost unreachable AND a different size to the rest of the them - that's just vindictive! OK when you know, but really frustrating the first time (note to the original poster - it's just above the chasis rail on the back of the cover, and it's 11mm. You need a 16mm deep socket to get the engine mount off to change the cambelt. Not your everyday socket (although I have a spark plug socket that fits). The centre bolt on the inlet manifold is another - it's tight, rusts in, is almost inaccessible - and they fitted it with a socket cap bolt. Made of chocolate. WHY????

Keeps the dealer bills up I suppose!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....