Vauxhall Carlton stalling - MCH
Would be grateful for any ideas/help...
I have a 1993 Carlton 2.0 CDX on 110k which has given me trouble-free service for the past 36k.
Lately it has started to stall after being fully warmed-up then parked for a while. The car restarts (sometimes needing several attempts) but when drive or reverse are engaged the revs dip and it stalls, it is OK if slight throttle is kept on for a while or I am able to engage drive with some throttle and "bounce" away.
This never happens when cold or if the engine is switched off for just a few minutes, only when left for 20 mins- 1 hour or so.
It has good plugs, recent change of air filter and all fluids changed recently.
Could it require a new fuel filter which hasn't been done since I've had it.
Also I want to replace the distributor cap but it looks to be a nightmare job being hard up against the bulkhead. Surely I don't have to remove the cylinder head to do this??
Vauxhall Carlton stalling - Number_Cruncher
1) Check and clean the idle air control valve - the valve should move freely without any sign of sticking.
2) Check and clean out the throttle body and throttle plate
3) Check that the throttle cable is not tight - it should have quite a bit of slack in it - to ensure the throttle can shut properly.
4) Ensure that no-one has messed with the throttle stop settings, and the throttle is closing properly. There should be un-disturbed yellow paint sealing the throttle stop screw - if not, I can run through the re-setting procedure.

If the throttle isn't shutting properly, the TPS doesn't think the car is idling, and therefore doesn't engage the idle speed control program.

Number_Cruncher
I will try these tips as soon as I can although I know nobody has messed with the car as I try to do all maintenance myself.

Many thanks.

ps Any thoughts on the distributor problem - is it a mechanic-only job?
Vauxhall Carlton stalling - Number_Cruncher
You can replace the distributor cap in situ - although it is quite difficult. IIRC, it is easiest with a 1/4" drive socket. You don't need to take the head off!

There are a couple of socket head screws holding the rotor arm into the end of the cam. 5mm allen key IIRC.

The throttle bodies should not need adjustment if they have never been touched, but, they do attract the wrong kind of attention - mechanics who should know better!

In a mistaken attempt to fix poor idling problems, people try to adjust the throttle stops like you would on a car with a carburettor. All it acheives is to confuse the engine management system!

Number_Cruncher
That's my next job then.
Thanks again.
Vauxhall Carlton stalling - outkast
I had a similar prob on a GSI 3000 and it turned out to be the lambada sensor on the exhaust,you can check it by trying to hold the revs at 2000,3000 if its faulty it should dip and rise instead of holding steady.