Petrol oil in diesel engine !!! - Dezzy
Hi,

Quick question.

I have stupidly put the wrong oil in my Renault Trafic 2.1 Diesel engine. It's a campervan so does some hard mileage.

The oil I have put in is 15w40 Castrol High Mileage oil which is intended for petrol engines.

a) will I have done any damage to the diesel engine, (done over 1000 miles with wrong oil).
b) will it be okay to leave until next change or should I change it asap, (inc. filter ???).

Many thanks
Petrol oil in diesel engine !!! - Xileno {P}
You engine is one of the older low tech Renault diesels, unlike the all singing all dancing common rail dCi ones. So it should be ok but I would get it changed asap.
Petrol oil in diesel engine !!! - Roberson
a) I would say you have done little damage to the engine with this oil, although if you continue to use it, this may not be the case for much longer.

b) No, if I was you, I would change it now.

As far as I?m aware (I?m not a mechanic), the only major difference between Petrol lube oil and Diesel lube oil, is the concentration/amount of detergents. So, with time, you may find that the oil turns to sludge quite quickly and that engine internals become quite gunked up.

A more experience mechanic or engineer should be able to offer a better/correct explanation
Petrol oil in diesel engine !!! - OldOiler
Would concurr with this, make sure you change the oil filter also.
Make sure you don't do the same with the fuel though that w i l l be expensive.!!!!!!!!!!!..........
K2
Petrol oil in diesel engine !!! - Drb
Should I use some sort of Engine flush additive first to try and clean it up a bit.

I have a tin of engine flush in the garage which I bought for a classic car I once owned and never used it - someone spooked me about using engine flush, can't remember why though.
Petrol oil in diesel engine !!! - Xileno {P}
It's always possible that with these engine flush chemicals that a piece of crud that was otherwise firmly embedded somewhere could be dislodged and then get into an oil feed pipe.

On balance I think they are worthwhile though.
Petrol oil in diesel engine !!! - Altea Ego
DO NOT flush the engine. You will cause no end of problems.

You are worrying for no good reason. The oil is fine, just change it in 5k miles time.
Petrol oil in diesel engine !!! - quizman
I have just looked at the Castrol.co.uk website, and Castrol GTX high mileage oil is SL/CF.

The CF bit meens that it is OK for older diesel engines.

So I think you will be fine with this oil.
Petrol oil in diesel engine !!! - Colonel Panic
api-ep.api.org/quality/index.cfm?bitmask=5447BD83-...#

If you look at the tech shelf card, CF should be fine, I bet your owner's manual states CD.
These days, most diesel oil is the same as petrol oil but in different fancy retail packaging. The same oil supplied for the trade makes no distinction.
Petrol oil in diesel engine !!! - oilman
Indeed, if it carries API "C" or ACEA "B" specs then it's fine for a diesel engine.

Cheers
Simon