Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9 starting problem - Neal
I Have recently purchased a pug 205gti 1.9 to re live our youth car in lovely condition not been played with and lots of tickets also. One thing i am finding is it for no apprent reason sometimes just will not start turns over but just will not fire changed all plugs and distributor and rotary arm. you can then go to it 5 mins later and it will start 100 times over but will just then cut out with out any warning seems something electrical to me any ideas from you guys really appreciated before i head for the garage thanks Neal
Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9 starting problem - elekie&a/c doctor
could be a possible intermittant fuel pump relay.Located above underdash panel to the right of steering column.This controls the EFI system & fuel pump but not ignition system.Also check engine wiring earth leads,bolted to top of gearbox.
Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9 starting problem - blue_haddock
Can't help you personally mate but a lot of my mates probably will.

Have a look at www.psooc.com
Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9 starting problem - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Agree with relay suggestion as likely cause, cheap to rectify. Cutting out on the move however points more to ignition module or distributor trigger going open circuit with the heat. Something else to consider is that this car,being THE boy-racer car of the 90s, probably has an aftermarket immobiliser which may be causing the non-start prob.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9 starting problem - pug3
Fuel pump relays are a common problem with the GTi.Euro Carparts sell them for £35.88 plus vat.

www.eurocarparts.com

Peugeot charge a fortune for the relays and I paid over £70.00!
Thanks for that i know this is probably a silly question but are they easy to change or can i by a manual to help me just got car as a 2nd car do not want any big garage bill thanks neal
Had today off to try and sort this drove about 20 miles then it just died can always get it started by pushing lead going from ditrubtor cap into the coil ( ithink its the coil say lucas on it) then it started drove home pull into drive sat with it running then without warning just dies no stuttering seems mad because lead into coil does not seem loose or anything checked all leads into dist. cap but really baffled now do you think it could be fuel pump relay by the sound of it many thanks neal
peugeot 205 gti 1.9 Fuel relay switch - Neal
Can any one tell me is it easy to do or worth putting into a garage many thanks neal
peugeot 205 gti 1.9 Fuel relay switch - pug3
The fuel pump relay on my 1990 GTi is under the drivers side dash,in front of the injection ECU.The panel has to be removed under the dash to see the relay.The relay is a push fit.

I think earlier models had the relay under the bonnet in a box below the battery.

When I visited my Peugeot Dealer I was told the relay had been modified and they required the part number of the existing unit. As I did not have any tools with me and the lower panel was still in place I managed to see the reference number by laying with my back on the seat, my legs in the air and my head under the dash!

When my relay was confirmed as being the problem I managed to make a small wiring loom that plugged into the lighter socket and connected to the fuel pump under the back seat, which enabled me to drive to the Dealer for a replacement.There are some dangers in providing power direct to the pump so it should only be used in an emergency.

I first had the problem after leaving the battery connected to a charger/conditioner for a week. Before I could identify the reason why the engine would not fire, as I checked for a spark and fuel pressure, the engine fired and ran perfectly for about a year.The second time was after returning to my car with shopping from the supermarket. The engine would not fire.After the assistance of the RAC it was confirmed as the relay and I was towed home.

Since the relay has been changed I have not had anymore trouble.