£3k commuter - Jase
Hello,

A friend wants a family size car that must be comfortable for his daily commute of 60ish miles (mainly motorway). No frills but reliable and cheap to run. Shouldn't be more than £3k ideally.

I was thinking last shape Mondeo is tough to beat for value but he also mentioned he likes previous shape Astra.

So whats the sensible purchase please people?

Thanks in advance

£3k commuter - Blue {P}
You've already mentioned it, I reckon £3K will buy him a lot more old shape Mondeo than it will old shape Astra.

Got to be the Mondeo every time over the Astra for a drive like that IMO, they get good mileage, if he doesn't want a diesel (most of the £3K diesel ones may be a bit tatty) then the 1.8 16V is the one to go for, it provides the best mix of economy and power.

Failing that I don't suppose the Vectra is too bad value now, but I don't think they seem to be so highly rated for their reliability.

Blue
£3k commuter - Aprilia
Nissan Primera, 1.8 or 2.0.

Handles well, very reliable and quite cheap to buy. Lots of aftermarket parts available now for the P11 series ('96-'02) at very good prices.
£3k commuter - Hugo {P}
Late model Xantia with the HDI engine in it.

H
£3k commuter - Jase
Thanks Chaps,

I thought Mondeo was tough to beat for value for money. £3k seems to be easily enought to get into one of the last of the old shape ones. 1.8 or 2.0 seem readily available (is one better than the other as a motorway car?) with air con.

There are a couple of the very first Y reg new shape ones for around £3k (probably big miles).

Do you think last of the old or very first of the new is a better bet? This car will be run for years I should note so relative costs to maintain both is a key consideration (Insurance, servicing etc..)

Cheers guys.

£3k commuter - Blue {P}
I would hazard a guess that a much better condition last of the old shape for £3K will probably give more faultless service than a tatty, high mileage early new shape one.

Bear in mind that at £3K you're getting amongst the best old shapers out there, at £3K you are getting amongst the very, very worst new shapers available.

That's my view on it anyway, if you can find a GOOD new shape Mondeo for £3K then go for that one, it is better vehicle and will probably last longer, but I wouldn't say it's so much better that I would take a 120,000 mile LX new shape over say, a 50,000 mile old shape Ghia or Zetec.

Blue