Mitsubishi Galant - JohnG66
Looking to buy an S/T plate for about 2 grand - probably a 2.0 GLS. They look solid cars for the money, been advised to make sure the cambelt has been changed as it is a very expensive job. Anyone got any views or further tips ?

Cheers
Mitsubishi Galant - blue_haddock
I know naff all about them but I'm sure Aprilia will be along shortly to let you know more about these cars.
Aprilia were are you.............................
Mitsubishi Galant - rtj70
Give him or anyone a chance. Not given much time for a response have you.

Don't know much (anything to be honest) about that car. But make sure all oustanding recall work, if any, has been done. Mitsubishi had a reputation of reliable cars that didn't go wrong. But the truth was they didn't tell anyone of the problems with their cars and they got into trouble for that.

Rob
Mitsubishi Galant - Aprilia
Very good cars. The only thing I would avoid is the GDi engine (direct injection) which suffers from coking up.

The two main engines 2.0i (4G63) and 2.5 V6 (6A13 - similar to 6A12 on the Lancer VR6, but with only two cams as opposed to four) are very good engines. The 4G63 has been around years and is mega reliable - 4cyl with balancer shaft.

The cambelt is no more difficult than any other car. They take about 2 hours to do. I've done one on the V6 and it took me 3 hours of working steady. Blueprint do a belt and tensioner for about £70.

The Tip auto boxes are fine (5sp after '97 IIRC) - pretty reliable. Just don't let anyone fill them with Dexron III ATF. You should use Mitsi's Diamond SPII/III fluid. Some people use Dexron III with a friction modifier additive - but I'd stick to the Mitsi stuff (Hyundai and Kia dealers also sell it).

Other than that, nothing to say. Very sound and reliable cars at great used prices. Watch out for Mitsi dealers parts prices (a bit crazy) and OTT labour rates. Blueprint can supply lots of parts, as can the likes of Camskill (www.camskill.co.uk) for some other bits and pieces.
PS - should add that the manual 'boxes on Mitsi's can be a bit notchy and baulky, especially when cold. If you have this then drain out the old gear oil and replace with a lighter grade of synthetic GL-4 - try Castrol SMX-S, Redline MTL or similar.
Mitsubishi Galant - Pete M
The 2.5 V6 6A13TT with the twin turbos has quad cams and 24 valves, 280bhp. Fitted to 96-03 Galants and Legnums (Estate version). Very tasy, CBCB is complimentary too. Active UK (& NZ) club: www.clubvr4.com

Ahem, tasy= tasty... oops.
Mitsubishi Galant - petethehat
My Uncle delivered hundreds of cars around the country and says that this is the nicest car he has driven. I wouldn't mind one myself. However, parts are ridiculously priced, and you'll be lucky to find an independent garage with the necessary diagnostic equipment if things go wrong, which does tie you to dealer prices. We ran a T reg Spacewagon with a 2.4 GDI engine, and had no problems with coking, and ran very smoothly. However, during our ownership of about eighteen months, we spent more than £2,000 on parts (exhaust section, catalytic converter, engine management sensors) and found petrol consumption very high. On balance, I would steer clear if money is a factor.
You were very very unlucky to have such problems with a Mitsubishi. They are generally extremely reliable, although I would avoid the GDi engine.
There are plenty of 10+ year old Galants that have never had a spanner on them.

The cars are actually pretty straightforward and well engineered - any independent will have no problems doing regular service work.

There are a number of aftermarket scanners that will read Mitsi fault codes - as will the scanners used by Kia, Hyundai and Proton dealers. Mitsi engine electronics are among the best and ahead of BMW, MB, VW and anything French or Italian. The autoboxes are also widely used and well-proven (e.g. Kia, Hyundai also use them). Not a lot of pitfalls really. Just be aware that in the unlikely event of a major component failure the parts will be expensive.
Thanks very much for those bits of advice, really appreciate it !
I think it's a pity about the high spares prices for Japanese cars in the UK. I found the same thing when living in the UK and driving a Mazda 626. It's always possible to get parts from sources other than the main dealer, and prices are sometimes lower. There are a number of firms that import parts from Japan, and as a last resort, get them sent from New Zealand. The parts are generally fairly cheap here for Japanese cars (80%+ of all cars on NZ roads) and the exchange rate (NZ$1.00 = UKP 0.38) makes it feasible. Usually delivery time of about a week.
Yes, I've bought Mitsubishi stuff from Kempys in Auckland. Excellent customer service and about 5-7 day delivery by air. Much cheaper than local dealer!
Mitsubishi Galant - AngryJonny
I sold the E34 and got a Galant V6-24 Auto a couple of months ago. I absolutely love it. 62000 miles but feels like it's brand new. All the toys: CD changer, climate control, cruise control, tan leather, electric seats etc etc. Very quiet and refined ride but with plenty of power when I need it.

The only problem I've had (as others have hinted) is parts. You want a replacement wing mirror for a Mondeo you go to Halfords. You want a replacement wing mirror for a Galant you order it from Japan.
Yes, but the Mitsubishi one will have been broken by hitting something. The Mondeo one might have fallen off.