Focus CMAX Fuel Consumption - bgolden
Just bought a Focus CMAX 2.0 TDCi Zetec, 8k, one year old from Ford Direct via a Ford dealer.

I've had it for about a week and the fuel consumption is about 30mpg on average for 50% town/50% motorway. Is this right? The specs for this car on the Ford website state 50.4mpg, should I expect my car to do this? Could there be something wrong with the engine? There are no performance problems or signs that there is a fault.

Also, I'm not sure if this is connected with the above but just after I bought it the sales man drove with me to the petrol station to put 1/4 tank of diesel in. Just as I pulled into the garage a big cloud of white smoke came from the back of the car. I queried this with the salesman and he said that it was normal and down to the self-cleaning catalytic converter. Has anyone else come across this? Is it likely to be the cat? I've heard that this type of diesel doesn't have a cat but I'm not sure if this is true or not.

Thanks for any info anyone can give me!

Ben
Focus CMAX Fuel Consumption - c h a r l e s
I'm sure HJ won't mind me pointing you in the direction of the Ford Focus Owners Club website forum (www.ffoc.co.uk/forum/ ) to answer your question. There is a section devoted to CMAX owners, and you'll find you're not alone in being disappointed with the real world economy.

You could ask the dealer to check the ECU software as there may be upgrades available to remedy the economy problem.

Not heard of the white smoke problem before.

Hope this helps,

Charles
Focus CMAX Fuel Consumption - dodo
I have nearly 6000 miles with my C Maz 2.0 TDci and I am delighted with it. My fuel consumption has improved significantly of late and responds well to motorway driving. As for the white smoke be alarmed as our previous Galaxy Tdi went up in white smoke when the secondary heater gave up under the car on the passenger side. I have heard this working on the C Max too so ther must be one there too. Ford quoted £480 to fix it but I followed advice on the Galaxy owners website and just removed the fuse, removing power to it. We kept the cat another two years with no ill effects until traded in for a very under rated Mazda MPV TD (why oh why did they stop making them?). hope this helps!