3 series beemer advice - andy51
hi folks,

hope someone can help..

1 i have a 2000 318se touring and have an intermittent rattle in the drivers door...it comes from the window which when dropped by only half an inch stops rattling....bmw mechanics have changed window seals on more than one occasion for no lasting benefit....also when it is rattling i can feel any play between window and frame that could cause such an annoying noise on an otherwise good car
2 is this a chain driven cam or belt? - at what mileage should it be changed
3 can anyone recommend a good servicing garage (non franchise) in west london area

thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions andy :)
3 series beemer advice - bimmer-driver
I can't answer about the window or the garage in London but I do know that your engine has a chain not a cambelt, as all recent BMWs have.
3 series beemer advice - trancer
Remove the door card exposing the window motor, regulator and lifting mechanism. Raise the window to the "rattle position" then reach in and wiggle the window mechanism to see if anything is loose. If you do find something loose, lower the window to the "non-rattle position" and see if that bit is still loose. If it isn't then you have probably found the culprit.

If the above is more than you want to try on your own, take the car to a garage that is capable of more than just changing the easiest bits they can get to. Try the BMW club GB (don't remember the URL, but you could do worse than google for it) for garage recommendations in your area.
thanks for your advice

i got very close to popping the inner door panel off myself...but wasn't sure from which point i could safely lever it off without breaking it...also stumped by the fact that the inner handle is secured with an obscure bolt...- actually...two bolts...one is is an allen screw the other a different drive!

rgds andy
3 series beemer advice - storme
just try and smear a bit of vaseline around the window seals,,,
see if it makes a difference....
i do this to mine every month to quieten the windows,,,,altho mine is a coupe so i have no frame....
but it does help me

--
www.storme.co.uk
good advice storme...will do

thanks a lot andy
3 series beemer advice - Dude - {P}
Apparently lanolin is a better option than vaseline , the following thread from BMW Land may be of help :-

www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=16495&hig...6
thanks dude p

not sure where i'll get lanolin in west london...not many sheep flocks 'round here but i guess that silicone will suffice.

i'll get on to it in the next few days....been driving me nuts for ages....such a pity to spoil an otherwise excellent car.

brgds andy (1 beemer, a yamaha tmax and three bicycles)
3 series beemer advice - Blue {P}
I've got an E36 with a rattling passenger door card, it was badly re-fitted after a trip to the bodyshop.

Anyway, it seems that it is actually held in place by small plastic clips, two or three of which are broken, suprisingly though, they are easily replaced and can be bout for about £2 for 20 clips from a BMW dealership. I thought that the entire door panel would need changing as seems to happen with other makes.

If the panel in the E46 is fixed on in the same way then don't worry about causing damage when you pull it off, in fact I'd recommend using new clips as a matter of course, our bodyshop didn't and now I'm going to have to dismantle it myself!

Blue