new audi A6 - which diesel? - andy from embsay
Thinking of getting a new A6 as my next company car - but am unsure about which diesel engine to go for. I'm drawn to the 2.7TDi, with 180bhp - but the 2.0TDi (140bhp) would be £50 a month less cost to me (before tax, so actually £30), and is also about £60 a month less in tax.

What I'd be grateful for is anyone who has experience of both engines - I want something with a reasonable degree of poke, and this is a big car - not sorried about 0-60 acceleration, but want a goof bit of grunt 50-70mph-wise. If the 2.0TDi can accelerate reasonably well then I can spend the extra £100 a month on toys!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

andy
just done some more sums and the tax difference is £90 a month, plus the £30 net - so I think I'm definitely going to test drive the 2.0TDi at least - I could add DVD sat nav, electric seats and xenon headlights and still be better off! Now as long as it's not too sluggish...
new audi A6 - which diesel? - Roly93
just done some more sums and the tax difference is £90
a month, plus the £30 net - so I think I'm
definitely going to test drive the 2.0TDi at least - I
could add DVD sat nav, electric seats and xenon headlights and
still be better off! Now as long as it's not
too sluggish...

>>
I wouldn't worry, the 2.0 TDI has bags of power, and I wonder why people bother with the bigger engine personally, other than the fact that it is 6 cylinder.
new audi A6 - which diesel? - Avant
Do you need the extra room of the A6? If not, you could consider an A4 or A4 Avant and do the sums for a 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0. The 2.0 has enough poke for the A4 (though I'm glad to have the 2.5 myself) but would be only judt adequate for the A6.
new audi A6 - which diesel? - cheddar
How about a Jaguar X-Type which is shortly to be launched with the 2.2 TDCi engine, more torque than the A6 2.7, CO2 comparable to the 2.0, no auto option though. If you are not a badge snob the Ghia X Mondeo 2.2 TDCi offers everything the Jag does with better handling, more goodies and enough BiK saving (relative to the 2.7 Audi) to run a nice motorbike!
How about a Jaguar X-Type which is shortly to be launched
with the 2.2 TDCi engine, more torque than the A6 2.7,
CO2 comparable to the 2.0, no auto option though. If you
are not a badge snob the Ghia X Mondeo 2.2 TDCi
offers everything the Jag does with better handling, more goodies and
enough BiK saving (relative to the 2.7 Audi) to run a
nice motorbike!

I looked at the X-type when I was buying my A4 Avant, but I deceided that the Jaguar came a poor second to the Audi in quality and functionality. To be honest, rather like the Rover 75, I just didn't like the styling of the Jag, it made me feel that I would have to go out and buy a gold medallion to wear before I drove it !
Growing children with a growing number of friends and clobber means I'm looking at a bigger car this time - A6, especially the 2.0 is miles cheaper on our car list than things like the E-class and 5 series - plus my favourite ever car was an Audi 80 I had back in the early '80s.

Test driving a Saab 9-3, a 3 series and a C-class to see about rear room, but drawn to the A6 for interior size and aesthetic reasons.

Is the A6 auto worth a look then? Never had an auto before.
new audi A6 - which diesel? - Martin Sweeney
I?ve recently got the 2.7tdi but have test driven the 2.0tdi for about 2 weeks all in. I was in a similar dilemma to yourself with the 2.0tdi and options or the 2.7tdi with few options. I?ve got to say that given the size, the 2.0tdi was surprisingly swift from the off right upto silly speeds and in the important 50-70 band you mentioned it was superb. Even more surprising was how relaxed, composed and quiet the car is with this engine, especially at motorway speeds and there was plenty of acceleration left if cruising 80 or 90. As I?ve pointed out here before, this A6 is the same weight as the Touran. It has to be said that on idle and at low urban speeds you could feel and hear that the engine isn?t the most refined but still the cabin was relatively quiet. The torque delivery was still muscular but nothing like as sudden and all or nothing as the tdi130. My wife recently changed her A4tdi 130 for a new A4 2.0tdi and greatly improved though it is, she freely concedes that it?s not nearly as composed and quiet as the A6 and doesn?t feel as surefooted or even fun as the A6, whose handling belies it?s size.

I would have happily ordered the 2.0tdi had I not had a change of position which let me have the 2.7tdi and options. I got very excited, test drove the 525d which was superb to drive but not easy on the eyes and pretty downmarket inside next to the A6, and then I test drove the 3.0tdi again since they didn?t have the 2.7tdi. The 2.7tdi is much quieter at idle and urban, sounds less clunky generally and seems effortless all round but as 90% of my driving is motorway and A-roads and I have to confess that once you?re on the move, I?d be pushed to tell the difference. I have no doubt that on unrestricted autobahn you?d realize the limitations of the 2.0tdi but on our congested roads I?d be surprised. Basically I really love the 2.7tdi engine and so far, for me, the A6 is a fantastic car, but on reflection I wonder if I wouldn?t have been just as happy with the 2.0tdi. I think the extra tax hit of over £3k over the 3 years is something you need to consider given your circumstances and if your driving needs can?t justify the 2.7tdi, I would be surprised if you were anything but very happy with the 2.0tdi, but alternatively you might think it?s an unbearable bag of nails so get a test drive, preferably on one with several thousand miles on it and 16? wheels. In marked contrast to our previous dealings with Audi, Audi corporate and the business sales guy was brilliant and happy to indulge me with numerous lengthy test drives. The multitronic wasn?t available on the new A6 when I was test driving but I had a drive in an old shape A6 avant with multitronic and whilst it did indeed even out the torque response of the old 1.9tdi, I went through a few pairs of pants when there was slight delay as I floored it to get onto a roundabout. When I asked the sales guy about this he said that yes, in those circumstances, he usually put it into sport mode and then back to normal afterwards. Seemed quite worrying and a bit of a faff to me but maybe they?ve addressed this with the new model. Otherwise seemed good to drive.

Size wise the boot is stupidly big, much bigger than my old Sportwagon and other lifestyle estates and the space in the rear seats is fantastic so the front seat don?t get a kicking, the kids have loads of space for their gear and they are much happier journeying in the A6. What I will say though is that the A6 really is a very comfortable 4 seater and whilst space would allow a child to sit on the centre squab, they?ll very quickly hate you for it. So if you?ve more than 2 kids I?d be careful.

A few practical points. I?ve driven the car on standard 16?, 17? and 18? and found that the ride quality was significantly better on the 16? and really uncomfortable on the 18?s on any rough surface. The standard wheels on the 2.0tdi look really terrible and I would have changed for other 16? inchers, but the 2.7tdi comes with nicer looking 16? inchers as standard. The only problem is that like most cars now, anything less than 17? looks like a shirt button.
Unless you never listen to music you will need to specify a multi-changer as the stndard single player is in the glovebox which is miles away and not accessible whilst you are driving. I think that you might get this if you get the very expensive DVD navigation. Need to check this.
The MF steering wheel is no great shakes and not worth paying for. Under seat storage also pointless.
Automatic boot opening a surprise bargain and very useful.
The standard climate control is a bit basic and doesn?t perform as well as the system in the A4. You might want to investigate the upgrade.
Lastly a bit superficial. This thing looks best in dark colours with gloss pack/alu trim strips. Well worth the extra £150 or so for the gloss pack.

We tried the 9-3, 3 series, x-type and c-class and the rear space was poor in all. I think that the Saab was the tightest and the Merc relatively the best. The A4 and 3 series seem almost identical in this respect. The only decent alternatives in respect of leg room we found were the 5 series, e-class, Mondeo and Skoda Superb and the Octavia wasn?t too bad. The e-class was much more expensive on our list and I was relieved when I wasn?t overly impressed with the test drive, whereas the 525d was a similar cost as the 2.7tdi on our list. Good luck.
Wow! Thanks Martin - sounds like you went through almost exactly the same dilemma as me! I'll definitely be testing both engines, but think I'm veering towards the smaller one. As you've pointed out the tax differential (we keep cars for 4 years - so over 4 grand, over the life of it allows for lots of options.

Will look into the wheel thing - but have definitely decided on the DVD navigation, split/fold rear seats, folding mirrors (my journey to work has some very narrow lanes!) and parking sensors - not sure about the electric seat pack or xenon lights - but both would be 'within budget' if I went for the 2.0TDi.

No chance of me getting upgraded on the car front - just changed role to allow me to get this rather than an A4!

Interested to see what you say about colour - we get metallics free, so was thinking about pearl black or silver - but having seen photos I think the darker colours are best.
Blimey! got the 2.7TDi on an overnight test drive tonight - feels very spacious (mrs andy moaning about having to reverse her car further than usual so it doesn't stick too far out of the drive!) and spectacularly well screwed togther. This one's come with the DVD sat nav (very impressive and quick) and leather interior (very nice). But blimey it's quick! Went for a 10 mile tootle down an a-road near here and before I knew it was in licence losing territory! If the 2.0TDi is even half as pokey as the 2.7 then I'll be well happy.

Spoke to a mate who has the A4 with this engine and he's more than happy. Not sure about the performance difference, but weight wise there's a 90kg difference, so not massive.

Amazed by the size of the boot - will try my bike in there with the front wheel off and may then swap the £250 folding seats I've specified for the £375 advanced air-con.

How long did yours take to come, Martin? dealer said end of August - which is what, 8 weeks?
It is very spacious and hence a very long car and in the odd tight multi-story it can be a bit of a sweat.

As I've said the 2.0tdi is indeed pokey but with the PD engine you will be more aware of the engine at work than in the 2.7tdi. That said I was still very impressed for the money.

The boot is ridiculously big and IME swallows more than any of the "lifestyle" estates. I haven't tried putting a bike in there so it might be a push, I don't know.

Hard to know about the split seat option. You'd definitely get a bike, surf board etc. in with the seats down and more importantly, you'd be able to specify luggage hooks and nets in the boot to stop your shopping from rolling all over the place. Always with the eye on a quick euro, Audi won't let you have the £80 hooks and nets option unless you have the £250 split seats.

The AC situation is just my take comparing it to the A4s we've had, but maybe I'm being fussy and £375 does in retrospect seem a chunky outlay for better AC. I'd make sure that you have decent test drives, preferably in sweaty conditions, using both systems.

I waited just just over 4 months so 8 weeks is very good.
I?ve recently got the 2.7tdi but have test driven the 2.0tdi
for about 2 weeks all in. I was in a similar
dilemma to yourself with the 2.0tdi and options or the 2.7tdi
with few options. I?ve got to say that given the size,
the 2.0tdi was surprisingly swift from the off right upto silly
speeds and in the important 50-70 band you mentioned it was
superb. Even more surprising was how relaxed, composed and quiet the
car is with this engine, especially at motorway speeds and there
was plenty of acceleration left if cruising 80 or 90. As

Its strange how people are still sceptical about whether a 2 litre turbo-diesel will be fast enough for them !

My sister just bought a BMW 318SE and was telling me 'I dont like diesels' - noisey slow etc etc. I told her that my A4 130 BHP TDi would slaughter the 318 in terms of performance in every area where it counts except from the initial pull-away !
new audi A6 - which diesel? - Ex-Moderator
You mean like more noise, more smell, more expensive fuel, those sorts of areas ?
Probably in the more fun, flexibility, and effortless driving for considerably less tax hit areas. I'd guess for 90% of my driving the car is no noisier than it's petrol equivalent and at other times it's barely perceptible. I can't discern any difference in the smell driving diesels or petrol. I'd be rather concerned if I did. I've driven the 2.4 A6 and fine car that is it, the diesels had it easily licked.
new audi A6 - which diesel? - Smarttrams
i can see that you are set on the A6. but have you thought about an S6o, i think you will be plesently surprized, and also try the diesel, good consumption, possibly better than A6.
Hmmm...nevr considered Volvo - will have a cogitate - thanks for the suggestion!
S60 soon with 185bhp engine, though neither this or the 2.7 A6 as torquey as the 2.2 X-Type / Mondeo. Re bike - X-Type estate?
new audi A6 - which diesel? - CM
Why not wait until the new Passat estate comes out? I know that the engine bay is too small to take the V6 engines so no choice at this stage but the 2.0tdi and you will save yourself a fortune. Not sure what the difference is - £6k?
This is a very decent suggestion or indeed have a look at the saloon available now, as the boot also seems huge. Not sure about rear seat leg room but certainly worth a look.
new audi A6 - which diesel? - andyw
Interesting, but as I'm not paying for the car the outright cost isn't the maon issue. New Passat's not on our list yet, so don't know how it'll compare - but if anything like the old one there'll be lots of them in our car parks - hence another attraction for the Audi!
new audi A6 - which diesel? - flat cap
what about a left field alternate thought? How about the skoda superb elegance (this trim level essential for credibility and kit) TDi 130 with chip to take it to 150 bhp power? rear legroom in my car beats anything ive ever been in that i can remember at anything like the price or at any price. Well worth a look; my dealer could not have been more helpful. Read Car magazine for the fact that mercedes and skoda have swopped places in all except reputation amongst the least well informed of car drivers / purchasers. My Superb is just that & im not a skoda employee!!!
Read Car magazine for the fact that mercedes and skoda have swopped places in all except reputation amongst the least well informed of car drivers / purchasers.

So i'm ill informed because I would prefer a Mercedes to a Skoda?
Skodas not on our car list - should be though - mate has one and it looks a great car.

I'm being a bit of a badge snob here, i know - but there are lots of Passats, A4s and C-classes at work - but not one A6 as far as I can see.

Spoke to the dealers yesterday - apparentlt delivery on factory order A6s is mid-August - seems a ludicorusly short time to me.
Well...it's ordered - delivery 'late September', so the lad i spoke to was being a bit optimistic with mid-August.

Gone for the 2.0TDi, dark pearl blue, DVD sat-nav, headlight washers, split rear seat, front and back parking sensors, folding mirrors and auto boot.

Just had a 9-3 150bhp auto on test - impressed with th power, but didn't seem terribly well screwed together and not very roomy at all.

Anyway - 12 weeks or so!