MOT's are a farce - Truckersunite
Just had my 95' Laguna MOT'd today, It passed. But, 2 years ago the same garage made an advisery about the steering rack being loose!! Havent touced it in the 2 years, car has done 10k and no mention of it on either last years or this years!!! In fact, I cant remember having ever had "Advisery's" rectified and the following year they never appear again. The MOT system is a complete farce as far as I can see, It is in desperate need of updating and standardising. Discuss. ;o)
MOT's are a farce - trancer
I think it is a good test, but if there was a way to remove the testing from garages that stand to make a profit from finding faults then it would be much improved. If nothing else it would increase consumer confidence as I suspiciously feel that more than a few garages fail cars in the hope of picking up some extra money from the "repairs".
MOT's are a farce - Civic8
Cant say I agree with your point. A lot get adviserys.Take no notice and end up paying out fortunes for repairs.Small amount that dont bother may well be down to the tester getting it wrong.Personaly I would rather get an advisory sorted than hope its going to pass next year and wont..But all MOT testers are human and can get things wrong.In your favour tester probably did.I wonder what you would have said if it worked out different
--
Steve
MOT's are a farce - johnny
Same here - advised minor play on wishbone (this from MOT only centre), left it for a year and took it to my usual garage who found nothing, even though I mentioned it beforehand . Likewise a few months later at a different garage when I had the brake discs done - still no sign of wear.
Nothing to be gained from the MOT centre, as they don't carry out work. There's obviously a degree of judgement involved and different testers probably like to look for different things.
MOT's are a farce - mfarrow
The last time I had my car serviced by a garage (heaven forbid, but parents insisted for some reason) they found a cracking alternator belt and cracking CV boots, and a corroded seat mounting. Granted the boots are cracking if you look very closely, but the alternator drive belt just does that, drives an alternator, and doesn't look like it would fail soon.

--------------
Mike Farrow
MOT's are a farce - Clanger
2 years ago the same garage made an advisery about the steering
rack being loose!! Havent touced it in the 2 years, car
has done 10k and no mention of it on either last
years or this years!!!
The MOT system is a complete farce as far as I
can see, It is in desperate need of updating and standardising.
Discuss. ;o)

One tester made a decision a couple of years ago you don't agree with? Take it up with the garage. Not sufficient grounds IMO for a complete overhaul of the system. I always accompany the tester because I like to see the car properly lit from underneath and have a chat about anything I'm not sure about.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
One tester made a decision a couple of years ago you
don't agree with? Take it up with the garage. Not sufficient
grounds IMO for a complete overhaul of the system. I always
accompany the tester because I like to see the car properly
lit from underneath and have a chat about anything I'm not
sure about.

But I am not a tech. So I have little knowledge of what would be worn and what would not be, Therefore we use their "Skill" to guide us, My point is that there is very little consistency in the MOT. As has been said, one tester may pass a car, another may not! So which one of them is correct? Is it the one who failed and therefore will cost the customer money! Or the one who passed it, who therefore may be putting a potentialy dangerous car back on the road? Who do you trust?
MOT's are a farce - v8man
Surely a steering rack is either loose or it is not? There is no degree of judgment here unlike wear in a ball joint which may be open to interpretation.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
MOT's are a farce - Pete M
At our MOT centres, you certainly can't accompany the tester, as testing area is out of bounds to all but authorised personnel, for health and safety reasons. Here in New Zealand we have to get the equivalent of the MOT done every six months, and our environment is nowhere as corrosive or harsh as the UK. I think it's a hangover from the days when our vehicle fleet was about 20 years old on average.
MOT's are a farce - MichaelR
When I still had the Xantia, it failed an MOT on a leaking suspension strut and leaking rear height corrector.

I took it elsewhere and it passed with flying colours, no advisories - the tester even commented what good condition it was in for its age.

Bizarre.
MOT's are a farce - Bill Payer
Wife's 4 yr old Clio passed in local garage - all OK. Took it to main dealer for service next day - both rear springs were broken. Must be common fault as they has 10 springs in stock at the dealer (although I'm suspicious the dealer broke them) but Renault agreed to replace FOC after I suggested it would be expensive for them to recall every Clio in Europe to have the springs replaced.
Dealer also said front indicator bulbs were not orange enough and he would have failed it on that. Never replaced them and not mentioned following year.
MOT's are a farce - Cliff Pope
I think this is down to variations in individual testers' judgement on probably marginal cases, but also to variations between cars in the tolerances permitted.
eg Some wheelbearings are meant to be tight and pre-loaded, some have a few thou end play. If a tester who has just tested the former then tests one of the latter, he is likely, as only human, to be predisposed to see it as "excess play". But someone who has just tested a lot of end-float bearings might just see it as slightly too much play, and advise but not fail accordingly.

On the specific point about steering rack mountings, some are solid, some (eg my Triumph) are rubber and are meant to move a small amount to cushion the feel. There are solid mounts available for a more competitive feel. So a tester has to know this, and adjust his view of what is acceptable accordingly.

I think it really helps to adopt a friendly attitude to the tester, and discuss these points at the time, asking for advice but also pointing out any particular features of the car.
So my point is, how can we have a fair and valid system if there are variations, What you are saying (Cliff) is that a car may fail with a bearing problem when it is well within the tolerances, so th e ownwer would replace an item to pass the MOT when infact it was servicable. I know you can appeal against an MOT failure, but you only get the test fee back, and it takes weeks during which time you can not use the vehicle!!!!!! As the title of the post suggests, the system is a farce.
MOT's are a farce - Number_Cruncher
One person can't possibly remember all of the appropriate tolerances for all of the components and test aspects for all of the vehicle parc. A book containing all of these data would be rather thick and cumbersome!

If you put a car in front of the mechanics, technicians, and engineers who post on this site, and ask them to inspect it, you will get back a different report from each one. Hopefully all would pick up on critical safety problems, but after that, I suspect the lists would have little in common with each other. There isn't a correct list! Without specifying measurable pass/fail criteria for each component or aspect the decision is based upon opinion.

The current system has its problems, I agree, but I think that a rigourous examination, and measurement?, of all tests aspects against the correct, and validated criteria would cost a bomb - it would probably take all day just to do one test!

The current system has its checks and balances. If a tester becomes over cautious and picky, news spreads quickly, and that MOT station becomes quiet. If a tester becomes too cavalier, or lax, he is soon picked up by VOSA.

Some people, of course, would like their car to be serviced and inspected by someone who is very picky. Some, of course want to get away with all they can. The current system, within, hopefully, safe limits allows this.

If your car is well serviced and maintained, the MOT is largely a formality. If your car fails frequently it says that your maintenance regime is inadequate.

Some people would like to see more regulation, more involvement of government bodies in car testing, more regulation in motor servicing - I'm not sure.

I don't have a lax attitude to safety, but I wouldn't want to pay to have my car servicing to extremely fussy standards; attempting to keep it in as new condition. I am not ready to shell out to chase perfection, but I do not hesitate to correct safety critical faults or problems.

Number_Cruncher

MOT's are a farce - Mike H
Some 30-odd years ago, when I was running an old Mini on a shoestring I used to do just that - hawk it round a few places & see who failed it on what - then work out which would be the cheapest set of failures to get fixed!
MOT's are a farce - holly1
Some 30-odd years ago, when I was running an old Mini
on a shoestring I used to do just that - hawk
it round a few places & see who failed it on
what - then work out which would be the cheapest set
of failures to get fixed!

Ha ha ha been there done that .... several times. Its amazing how the list of failures can change so dramatically from garage to garage.
MOT's are a farce - Chad.R
I always accompany the tester....

I like to do this too, however not all garages will allow customers in or around the MOT bays.

Some garages I've been to, you are confined to a "Customer Area" in the reception and can't even see the MOT bay, in others the customers are hands-on - I've actually helped the tester by switching on the lights/indicators/fog lights etc. at their request!
MOT's are a farce - Thommo
These days it seems you have to go to MOT only places. Garages always seem to find a little job that needs doing and they can do it there and then for oh say £100...
MOT's are a farce - BrianW
The year before last on a service I was told that the front disks (and pads) needed replacing, despite having done only around 15,000 miles. I queried it and was told "Well, they will probably last a couple of thousand more miles".
Two services and two MOTs (and about 15,000 miles) later, the same disks and pads are still going strong.
MOT's are a farce - GrahamF1
The way to negate the pitfalls, Truckersunite, is to get to know your car better. That way, when the tester notifies you of a failure point you can say "show me" and verify it for yourself with confidence.

Build a relationship with your independent garage, and they'll come to realise that you can't be messed about. After last week when my garage phoned ME to ask me how to do something on MY Triumph, I think they accept that while I'm not a professional, I've got a reasonable idea about things. Incidentally, it was having new propshaft UJs - I'd do it myself but I don't have a pit or lift.

A lot probably depends on the circumstances of the test. If business is slow at the garage then the owner might pressure the tester(s) to find a few extra faults. If its a hot sunny day, they have more cars than they can deal with, and they just want to get off at 5 and go home, then they'd probably pass a car that was missing a wheel.
MOT's are a farce - Roberson
Build a relationship with your garage

Yeah, I think that?s quite important. At least try and find a garage and stick to it, then they'll probably get used to you and your ways of doing things.

At least go regularly enough to build up a sense of trust. I have used my garage now for over a year now, and have had the car there on at least 5 different occasions for problems big and small, and I can't fault their work. If they say something is broken or badly worn, they'll keep it back for you to look at yourself. You can ask any amount of questions including some pretty stupid ones, and they'll answer them without being patronizing.

Not only that, but I have had it in for diagnostic work on a suspension clonk. They said nothing was wrong, apart from some components being dry, and thus they lubed them appropriately, starting with the cheapest and simplest repair first. How many garages would just start replacing things willy nilly and charge the earth.

I once had mine for an MOT at a different place, and it passed. But when it came back to the garage (MOTs 'sub-contracted' to another garage) the front suspension spring was broken. Another time, it failed on emissions. The tester said they rarely pass first time and so tested it again, and it flew through.

If you trust the garage, then there is no reason to doubt what they say.
Build a relationship with your independent garage

fail to see what this has to do with MOT.Tester whether friend or foe.Has a job to do.Many moan about a failure.
But I think we all need to get real here.Whether you know about cars or not.if its failed its failed.In cases where an advice has been given. it in effect will not need sorting untill next MOT.
But as I mentioned before it should be looked at.whether or not its false.Needs a second person to check it out.
I dont hold with this advisory has been left/no action taken it promotes those that Know little about cars.Not to get the motor checked out.

IMO this could well be dangerous to anyone that has no idea about cars
--
Steve
No, I don't think it is a case of "if it's failed it's failed". There is plenty of room for subjectiveness, and no shortage of garages trying it on. My point was that if you build a relationship with your garage then firstly they might start to like you and hence be less likely to try it on, and secondly they might realise that you know a bit and hence realise that they'd probably get caught if they tried it on.

I certainly always ask to be shown the faults before I authorise any work or pay the MOT fee. If they can't demonstrate the fault to me, then they don't get paid and I go elsewhere. If the fault is real and it exists then they can demonstrate it - no excuses, no exceptions, nothing.

In what other line of business would you pay for goods or services on nothing more than someone's say-so that it was required, without ever seeing the work or the product?

Incidentally I always look at my advisories - it only takes a few moments of my life and I can spare that for the sake of my peace of mind. I don't necessarily have a garage look at them though, they don't have some sort of second-sight that I don't.
Incidentally I always look at my advisories - it only takes a few moments of my life and I can spare that for the sake of my peace of mind. I don't necessarily have a garage look at them though, they don't have some sort of second-sight that I don't.

Think you missed a bit.To anyone that has no idea.You can show them what you like.They still dont have a clue.That was what I was driving at.Too many say they can sort out problems of there own.And strangely enough they try to be clever.But end up leaving it because they cannot be bothered to check it out
--
Steve
Are people who don't have a clue about cars likely to ask you to show them the faults? Can't exactly see SWMBO tottering into the workshop to grab the wheel for herself and prove beyond doubt the excess play in that track-rod end! I though those without a clue simply tended to pay the bill and go on their way - though perhaps if the michael was extracted a tad too much they might go somewhere else next time.

Advisories are just that, advisories. Nothing required on those items to get the certificate, it's just information for the motorist which they may choose to use or ignore. Hardly reasonable for a mechanic to complain that too few take them up on the offer of putting the faults right. At least I think you're almost whinging about that, you're are at least saying that you think to many ignore the advisories - which nearly amounts to the same thing.
>>Hardly reasonable for a mechanic to complain that too few take them up on the offer of putting the faults right. At least I think you're almost whinging about that,

I dont whing.I do get annoyed when a person gets an advisory.Does nothing about it.Then complains on next mot its failed.Which happens a lot whether you agree or not..I will leave it there.As I think you got me wrong
--
Steve
MOT's are a farce - Mondaywoe
I've had my MOTs done by the same indy for over 20 years - as well as a few repairs that I haven't had time or inclination to do myself. I am allowed to sit in the car and apply brakes, switch on lights etc as required. If anything turns up the chap takes me under the car or wherever and shows me exactly what the problem is and if there is a cheap solution he'll go out of his way to do it. He is extremely methodical, fair and honest and one of the very very few garages that I would ever trust 100%

Sadly, he told me this year that this might be the last MOT he can do for me. Computerisation is simply going to be too costly. He says that his emissions equipment cost something like £8000 about 3-4 years ago and it will be obsolete within a year or so. He also complains bitterly about the amount of red tape involved.

Apparently MOT stations are very closely monitored by inspectors - they often do spot checks and your licence can be revoked at the drop of a hat. This might make many inexperienced mechanics 'play safe' by failing a component that has a small amount of wear, whereas a more experienced person would know exactly how much is 'too much' but of course many use the excuse of a small amount of wear as a chance to make a quick buck - in fact in cases where the owner is ignorant of mechanical things I daresay parts without any wear at all are changed!

I don't think MOTs are a farce when carried out by honest, decent people - but I do think that some operators exploit people's vulnerability (although this is probably equally true for routine repairs and servicing.)

Graeme
MOT's are a farce - none
T. Unite and Number Cruncher, There is one area of vehicle testing where the testers are unbiased, consistent, and every test result would be the same no matter which tester inspected it. Your local HGV testing centre.
I have to prepare about twenty 7.5t vehicles a year for testing and I KNOW that if one fails the test, it isn't due to over zealous testers, it's my fault.
The same high quality testing is available at your local Bus depot, or local highways depot. These guys aren't subject to the same pressures that the local garage tester might be, and are probably a lot more experienced as well.
I quite agree {none} LGV MOT's are alot better, but then most commercial garages are streets ahead of car garages. It always amazed me how much cheaper the hourly rate was for a commercial garage when the bill used to drop on my desk, and the service was so much better as well. Maybe thats what is needed, someone to set up a car business based on the commercial model!!!!!

But all the other replies basically back up what I have been saying, there is very little consitency in the test, so how are we supposed to trust it!!!!!
MOT's are a farce - rtaylor
its not that they are always over zealous, in many cases they are less than zealous, for instance if the testing station is also selling the same car quite bad faults will mysteriously get missed, also if their number plates disintergrate they will generally pass the car a year later rather than have the punter scream they should replace them for free - any other garage would fail them

MOT's are a farce - Number_Cruncher
none,

I agree that HGV testing is more consistent, but even they are not absolutely consistent. After a while, as I'm sure you know, you get to know the men from the ministry. And you also get to know which ones are more zealous, and more likely to fail components which show signs of wear, but aren't worn out.

The fundamental reason for inconsistency is that component wear isn't measured against a pass/fail criterion. Parts like king pins shackle pins, and brake z-cam shafts are wiggled, moved, actuated, and levered - and if, by eye, they move too far, you get a fail, a subjective opinion that varies - even between trained commercially independent people.

If a known force was applied to a component, and the play or movement measured using some kind of instrument, and that value compared against known values, then you have a consistent test method.

The general idea of testers being seperated from repair is, however, very reasonable. Here in Derby, I take our cars to an independent garage which only does MOTs. However, for me, it is largely irrelevant, any garage won't get much work out of me!

Making MOTs independent of repair is a good idea - it works well.

Number_Cruncher
MOT's are a farce - Dynamic Dave
Friend of mine used to work for a franchise garage in Oxford. They didn't do their own MOT's, so they took them to a bloke down the road.

If they were confident the car would pass an MOT, they would take it to him in the morning; but if there was the slightest doubt, they would leave it until the afternoon as the MOT tester loved his liquid lunches down the pub and he wasn't quite so strict in the afternoon for some reason.
MOT's are a farce - Roger Jones
For anyone within striking distance of Welwyn Garden City, on the road to Codicote there's Royton Express, an MOT test centre that proclaims "no repairs, just fair tests only" and charges only £26 too.

No comment on Royton Express, but I have little faith in MOT testing. When I revived my Capri, it came through the MOT (at the local Vauxhall dealership) with the offside rear brake about to fail; my mechanic knew that and was astonished that it had got through, not least because the tester himself spoke of smelling brake fluid. I recently acquired a W126 MB, complete with recent MOT certificate; it should have failed on at least three points. Fortunately, I can trust my mechanic to spot a lot more than gets noticed in the average test.

On reflection, the whole system would have been better with many fewer but much larger testing centres run by the public sector. The idea that distributing testing over the servicing-garage community would result in a good and reliable system was always fanciful. No doubt that community influenced the initial decision; now, who was the relevant minister at the time?
Thanks Roger, been after a place like this for a while now.
MOT's are a farce - BrianW
Our local Essex County Council workshop also does MOTs for the public.
They don't do repairs for the public and so have no vested interest in a false failure.
In addition, if a family member works for ECC you get a discount, my last one done there was £30.
MOT's are a farce - Hawesy1982
If you want to ensure a rigorous and professional test is done, try writing or rubbing into the grime on the underside of the chassis the acronym VOSA.

I remember a thread here once where VOSA had sent the same car round a number of centres as a means of testing the centres. They couldnt understand why after the first few, all the garages did an excellent job of the MOT test. Finally they realised a mechanic at an earlier garage had worked out that they were VOSA testers, and written on the underside of the car to warn future garages.

You might get a more cautious result than at some garages, but you'll definitely get as accurate a test as the mechanic can manage!
MOT's are a farce - HF
I think a lot of us, myself certainly included, very often miss the point on this. Holding breath praying to pass MOT, and damning the garage when we don't. Sure there's human error to take into consideration, but basically the MOT is done to provide *safety* for our cars - and MOT testers, for the most part, I'm sure do the best job they can. Having just had to scrap a car due to MOT failure, obviously I'm gutted but also glad I am not driving round in a potentially dangerous machine any more.