Stalling Lotus Elan - Motormark
Took out my '72 Elan on Sunday with my youngest son for a run. Filled up with BP Ulitmate Unleaded @96P litre. Within 1 mile the car stalled at approach to major roundabout. Got started after about 5 - 10 minutes. Car then repeated the exercise 5 times in space of 1 mile. Every time I approached set of lights car would cough and stall. I have just had £1000 of work done including full serviuce and car was starting and running better than ever.
Upto now been putting in horrible Tesco petrol deceided to give it atreat with BP 98O octane. Is there a connection or am I just paranoid. Could it have been the heat?
Suggestions welcome, really dented my confidence in car and made me deeply unpopular with Reading population on a busy Sunday afternoon
Stalling Lotus Elan - Aprilia
Sounds like a blocked idle jet in the carb - or at least a carb problem. Do you have a fuel filter fitted?
Stalling Lotus Elan - Harmattan
Presumably it is running on twin Webers and should in theory run well on the higher octane (with an additive for the lack of lead, I assume) so suggest trying it again in the coolness of the evening/night to test the heat possibility. Alternatives, if the servicing included the Webers, are a dodgy batch of fuel or the tank had got particularly low and a lot of crud has been stirred up and passed into the system. Been a few years since I ran a twink so don't recall the fuel system to well to suggest any useful tricks other than to check through the obvious filters and fuel pump.
Stalling Lotus Elan - mjm
If you are running on twin Webbers, and it has just been serviced, was the garage that carried out the service aware that the carbs are mounted via a spacer plare, with O rings and that there should be movement between the carbs and the manifold? From memory the "Thackary" washers which give the movement should have a gap of 40 thou. between the coils. If this is not done and the carbs have no movement then fuel frothing in the float chambers will result. At worst the spacer plates will split and break up leading to manifold air leaks.
Another thought is a vacuum leak in the headlight circuit, could lead to the same thing.
Another thought, some cars ran on strombergs, they also had a different flexible carb mount, they can develop splits.
Sorry, should be spacer plate, not plare. Too much red wine with the evening meal!
Stalling Lotus Elan - madf
If Webers, have they been dismantled? If so were the float heights chnaged? I found on my Sreies 3, the incorrect float heights gave rise to rough running at idle and odd misfires (including seriously noisy backfires due to excess fuelling:-)

madf

Stalling Lotus Elan - Crinkly Dave
Logically the first thing to do would be to identify if the fault was due to the new petrol. You would need to empty the tank (I'd pay someone to do it) and pump the final bit out through the fuel lines,then refill with cheap and nasty Tesco

If that doesn't make a difference start looking elsewhere.

A few years ago a local garage opened a new fuel station and put water in the first 200 cars. Now that was expensive
Stalling Lotus Elan - GGH
40DCOE18 were fine but 40DCOE31 were not as a small part of the first progression hole was on the wrong side of the butterfly when the throttle was at tickover. This caused a very rich tickover and was cured by a factory modified butterfly. I can look up the pt. no. if you require it. Secondly the pump/power jet (one to each throat) can self siphon if the anti siphon ball and weight are not seating properly, again causing a rich mixture at tickover. These jets can be viewed down the throat from the outside, they should not be dripping at tickover.