Is it illegal to.... - Chad.R
display a reg no e.g. XX05 ABC, as follows on a square number plate?
XX0
5ABC

The norm seems to be
XX05
ABC

This question would also apply to the previous reg "A123 XYZ" type no.s

and.... rather bizzarely....is it illegal to drive barefoot?

Is it illegal to.... - AR-CoolC
and.... rather bizzarely....is it illegal to drive barefoot?

I don't know but quite like to do it.
Is it illegal to.... - SjB {P}
Yes, it's illegal.

From www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_curren...t
helaw

"The law states that,

> You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers
> Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC).

Offences may result in any or all of the following:

> A fine of up to £1,000
> The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN
> The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test
> Full details of the requirements are included in The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001"
Is it illegal to.... - Bromptonaut
Re the plates. You're allocated a registration mark and it's illegal to alter the spacings or use a non approved font.

Can't see why barefoot driving should be a problem, had to do it in the past when shoe sole was over slippy.

Is it illegal to.... - Vansboy
I'm a barefoot driver ALL the time (well 99.9%) & our yardman, always used to tell me it was forbidden!!

Much more comfortable, better 'feel' of the vehicle & more MPG. I think so anyway!!

So ...am I wrong, too!!??

VB
Is it illegal to.... - Tim Allcott
Always confused by barefoot (and do socks count?) Also driving in flip flops. Confusing: in France, one or other is illegal, and in Britain, its the opposite. I can never remember which way round it is...
Tim{P}
Is it illegal to.... - Robin Reliant
There is no law specifying the type of footware that must be worn while driving, neither is there one that says you must wear any at all.

If I had a pound for everytime pupils had asked me that one...
Is it illegal to.... - Sofa Spud
Most of us drive bare-handed most of the time, so I can't see how driving barefoot can be illegal. It would be pretty uncomfortable in some cars, like old Land Rovers, though.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Is it illegal to.... - Vansboy
Spud, what are you on about??

BAREHANDED???? What about those tan, leather & ventilated cloth gloves, with 2 little press stud fasteners on the bit that flips over the back of your hand?

We ALL wear those, as a condition of being Backroomers - weren't you told at the initiation ceromony???

VB

VB
Is it illegal to.... - Sofa Spud
>>>BAREHANDED???? What about those tan, leather & ventilated cloth gloves, with 2 little press stud fasteners on the bit that flips over the back of your hand?

We ALL wear those, as a condition of being Backroomers - weren't you told at the initiation ceromony???

I gave mine up with the flat cap, sheepskin car coat and driving shoes with rubber heels extending up the back that I never had.

Cheers, SS
Is it illegal to.... - frostbite
I trust you've kept the Night Driving Glasses though?
Is it illegal to.... - tack
Have never driven bare footed, but have often shown bare-faced cheek in some of my manouvres.
Is it illegal to.... - NowWheels
A Finnish friend told me that in Finland it's illegal to drive whilst wearing high heels. Not having been to Finland, I have never driven there, so I can't tell you how they define "high".

This sounds logical, but possibly a little hard to enforce without checkpoints*. Anyway, every driver I know who often wears high heels keeps a pair of flats under the driving seat, so I'm not sure why the Finns have felt the need to make it an offence.

* Maybe they could instal special heel cameras at the roadside ;-)
Is it illegal to.... - Robin Reliant
That's the nanny state for you, I've driven in high heels for years without problems. I do find the suspenders snag on the upholstery, however.

Maybe I should wear a longer skirt.
Is it illegal to.... - THe Growler
Where I live it is illegal to drive with bare feet, wearing rubber fliup-tops or without a shirt. Go figger.
Is it illegal to.... - Cliff Pope
Where I live it is illegal to drive with bare feet,
wearing rubber fliup-tops or without a shirt.

So trousers, skirt, etc not obligatory?
Thanks SJB, Bromptonaut for clarifying the position on the reg plate.

Also, I'm really surprised at the number of BR whom admit to being "barefoot drivers", don't worry though, I'm the sole of descretion.

Ok, Ok, I'll get my coat!
Is it illegal to.... - Chris S
Thanks SJB, Bromptonaut for clarifying the position on the reg plate.

It's a bit of a nerve for the DVLA to sell 'private plates' that look like certain words with the numbers/letters spaced incorrectly and then for the CPA to prosecute you for doing so.
--
Relax, it`s a Rover!
Is it illegal to.... - v8man
I have heard that the congestion charging cameras cannot read square plates. I don't know how true this is.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
If so, I'll use the LC to driving into London as it has square plates back and front ;-)
However the only time I would seriously consider driving into town would be the middle of the night, weekends or if I was going insane!