New Steering Rack on 2001 BMW 320D - RogerPJ
The steering rack on my 51 reg 320D has just failed at 83k miles. Is this normal or should I be pushing for 100% payment from BMW for the parts? Total bill will be just over £1000 OUCH!
New Steering Rack on 2001 BMW 320D - Roly93
It depends on what you mean by failed, ie excessive wear, or a hydraulic seal problem ? Either way this is poor performance from BMW so I would expect them to stump up part of the cost, or rplace the part, with you only having to pay for the labour.
New Steering Rack on 2001 BMW 320D - RogerPJ
BMW have got back to me and declined to make any goodwill gesture at all! I think this is very shortsighted as I will now avoid buying a BMW after my wife and I owning 6 in total.

In answer to everyone who kindly posted replies to my post it was a mechanical failure (you could hear a grinding noise and the steering was too stiff to move by turning the wheels on a ramp). I bought the car 2nd hand at 58k and it has always been serviced at the correct intervals and by a BMW dealer.

I shall be writing a strongly worded letter to BMW Customer Services and I will also e-mail What Car? and Trading Standards. I will keep you posted with BMW's response...
New Steering Rack on 2001 BMW 320D - Aprilia
Its not normal, but not unheard of. They normally last to 150k+. My 7-series had a (genuine) 99k miles on it when I got shot of it, and there was a lot of wear in it - but then it was a heavy car. What was the nature of the failure?
New Steering Rack on 2001 BMW 320D - kal
In my opinion they should pay up, BMW are one of the most profitable car manufacturers in the world, they can afford to, that's of course if they want your repeat business...in my opinion though German cars in general have poor levels of relaibility and frankly are not worth the bother or expense, my own expereince with my 3 series has been frankly poor. Your car is only just out of warranty ..
New Steering Rack on 2001 BMW 320D - Xileno {P}
If you've had the car from new then it's poor for a car that is marketed as being expensive and good quality. But if you've had it secondhand, then you don't know how it's been treated before. Turning the wheels whilst stationary places extra stress on the rack.