A tale of two renaults - Altea Ego
A tale of three Renaults actually

Renault 1, is my Laguna.
Its been acting the goat lately. Slightly overdue for its 36k
Miles service, the clutch pedal started to loose feel. And sticking down. And dragging
In the morning. And finally the clutch would bite about 3 mm off the floor when cold.
Checking on technical reveals its probably the master cylinder. So I phone up and I say "It needs 36k miles service, and the clutch master cylinder is going and will need
replacing". All gets written down.

Car goes in the first time and I come to pick it up that evening. "Needs a new master
Cylinder sir." Yes I know that, I told you that, look its written on your booking form there from two weeks ago. "yes sir you were right so we have had to order a new one"

Lord give me strength.

So over two visits a week apart Laguna has had 36k miles service, new wiper blades all round, new clutch master cylinder, new rear brake calliper, pads all round, and as
it has a bent front alloy (n/s/f inner) they dumped a new one in the boot. It needs new rubber all round so it will get used then.

Renault 2 is first courtesy car,

A Modus, A 1.6 auto Modus to be precise. This will be biased, because as you know I am a Renault lover. Its utter carp. What a totally pointless car. I am not small but had Enough head room above me for a top hat. Why?
Minute boot space despite the moving rear seats, horrible to drive, nasty instruments, rotten ride, slug slow & badly matched autobox changing at the wrong time with a neck snapping lurch. The trip computer reveals it has been averaging 27.8mpg.

Renault 3 is second courtesy car

A Scenic. A 1.9 dCi dynamique.
What a joy. I drove one of these on launch day. Its improved since then. Cracking
Piece of kit. Not a rattle or squeak, the lovely dCi feeling less sharp but much smoother in this configuration. The 6 speed box now feels really nice, just a wrist action away from the wheel. Great handling for one so tall, compliant ride to boot.
The hands free card is the way the card system should be, totally user friendly. Reacquainting myself with the electronic parking brake reminding me how well thought out it is.

RFs next wagon I think.

PS I chatted up the service receptionist and she gave me two clips for the goona key card that allows you to hang keys on them?..

A tale of two renaults - bimmer-driver
So the Modus shows that all car companys have off days then? ;-)
A tale of two renaults - Bagpuss
I got given a Modus as a hire car yesterday as the company didn't have anything else left. I drove 10km, turned around and took it back. I've not driven such an absolutely unappealing heap of junk for a long time. Are Renault trying to force us to take public transport?
A tale of two renaults - BobbyG
RF, glad you like the Scenic! Out of curiosity, I see that Renault have increased to 130 bhp from the 120 that I have. Do you know which version you had?

On a slightly different note, and touching on a post that I will do later, I currently have an Astra sports hatch from Vauxhall on their 3 day trial thingy. I know its totally different to Scenic but I would take the Scenic anytime and the Astra engine feels lousy compared to my dci!
Also, on a further different note, my Scenic was in last week for a fault repair, and they gave me a Kangoo courtesy car. I had always wanted to drive one and try it.

For a car, it is very van like. I suppose the Kangoo van will maybe be felt to be quite car like!

Kids refused to get in it. SWMBO refused to drive it!

In fact, think I have just sold myself on it.......
"Do you know which version you had?"

No idea BobbyG, It had a 1000 miles up so still tight.

Suprised tho that the auto parking brake does not disengage on reverse!
Suprised tho that the auto parking brake does not disengage on reverse!

I am surprised as well as mine does release when reversing! Sure it wasn't just slow to release?
Nope, not slow. I even got to the stage where the botty went in the air as I tried to reverse against the handbrake.
A tale of two renaults - JohnM{P}
RF - again, I agree and disagree...

My LagunaII 1.9DCi was a really nice car, but it always had something wrong with it that the dealers couldn't fix, if at all, in less than 3 visits. Not sure whether it was the car being devious or the dealer not on the ball, though I suspect both.

Earlier this new year, I had a Scenic 1.5 DCi demonstrator for 3 days; I too was impressed, but I didn't like the speedo in the centre of the dash - you have to look away from the road for too long to see it. The hands free card was an improvement over the Laguna card, but I wouldn't pay much over the odds for it. The radio sounded tinny (just like the Laguna) and there seemed to be rubber bands in place of track rods. The auto handbrake was good, but as the handbrake had failed 3 times on the Laguna in 37k miles/16 months, I felt doubly uneasy not having a conventional handle.

In March, I rented a Modus 1.5 DCi in Basel to drive to the Geneva motor show and around Bern and Thun. It was brand new and very slow (lower output engine variant, I believe) but I enjoyed driving it around. For a small car, I thought it very refined and quiet. Its steering was more precise than the Scenic, but as you observe, there is little boot space. The central speedo was not quite so irritating, as it didn't need quite such a turn of gaze to read it, however I'd much prefer a safer central set of instruments. The radio was tinny also, though in a Modus this seemed more acceptable than in the considerably more expensive Laguna and Scenic. I reckon it did around 45mpg, though it was not possible to be exact as I didn't do enough miles to brim it.

Similar cars, similar and differing opinions... JohnM
A tale of two renaults - Avant
Interesting reading this - when I first joined the forum there was a Renault Knocking Thread, where Renaults were roundly abused by almost everyone except RF and me (we had seven big family Renaults in a row from 1908 to 2001, all excellent).

Now this is much more measured (so far at least). Either Renaults have improved or we have....

Disappointing to see that the Modus isn't exactly a smash hit. I haven't tried one yet but it looks good from the outside with what look like a slightly less obstructive rear C-pillar than the Megane and Laguna.

Anyone tried a 1.5 DCI with the more powerful engine (80 bhp I think)? There is I believe a 105 bhp version coming out - now that might be an interesting although quite different alternative to the Mini Cooper that SWMBO has her eye on.
My b-i-l got a Modus 1.5dci 80hp after looking at various cars inc C2, Yaris etc.

He loves it, as he says, it does what it says on the packaging!
Its just the utter pointlessness of the thing, still it wont be around for long, Renault are selling them by the bucketl....no I lie, they cant give them away.

A slight confession. My veiw of this car is coloured. The one I got was blue, and as I climbed out Nicolle said, where is the sliding door and wheelchair? and this ones got four wheels rather than three.

5 foot nothing that Nicolle but very cutting.
A tale of two renaults - Xileno {P}
In my opinion the problems with the Modus are:

1. It's a car Renault didn't really need. It's a cross between a small car and a MPV. But if you want a small Renault you buy a Clio, if you want a MPV you buy the Scenic.

2. The Clio, despite being an elderly design, is still a remarkably fresh and competent car. It doesn't look old by any means.

3. There's a new Clio due in the autumn.

4. It's too expensive - especially the dCi 105bhp model.

5. The boot is too small.

6. The styling is a bit dull compared to other Renaults such as the Megane. It doesn't make you look twice. I think in reality it is quite dramatically styled but unfortunately for Renault the competition seem to be stealing their territory. The Honda Jazz and Mitsubishi Colt are quite finely styled.

7. Not sure Renault's advertising has been that good. They have been running a series of small adverts in the Broadsheets; and for me they don't grap my attention and enthuse my need to read on.

But in the interests of balance, it's well built, very economical and I am sure would be a pleasurable car to own. Oh and those rear seats are clever.

SWMBO is looking to replace her Yaris and she's warming to the Modus. Like me she's not really taken on the styling but it does seem to grow on you. I think the basic models offer the best value for
money.

For me though, I'm sticking with my Megane. I love the styling and the dCi engine.

Xileno
A tale of two renaults - derek
why bother with the modus when the twingo is still popular in europe

also megane scenics are mega cheap at motability auctions
4000 for an o2 if anyones interested
Because the Twingo is smaller than a Clio and not available in Britain, certainly not in RHD.
A tale of two renaults - cheddar
And there was me thinking that the Modus could be an ideal replacement for the wife's Clio (she wants a Freelander!), I think it looks great in a cheeky chic sort of way and reports have been good, will perhaps try a 1.6 manual and DCi.

Re the Laguna v Scenic, depending on age RF's Laguna may have the 120ps / 280nm version of the engine where the new Scenic was launched with the 120ps / 300nm engine, a bit more torquey. Both are now avialble with the E4 130ps version.
A tale of two renaults - Xileno {P}
Shame Renault don't tune the 1.9dCi up to 150bhp, like the VW TDi. Now that would make an interesting drive - I would definitely buy one as a Megane.
"RF's Laguna may have the 120ps / 280nm version of the engine"

Tick - confirm

"Scenic was launched with the 120ps / 300nm engine, a bit more torquey"
And with lower gear ratios in the 6 speed box.

"Both are now avialble with the E4 130ps version"

And may well have been the one I tried. In the Scenic configuration it did seem much smoother, possibly more torquey albeit lacking a bit of throttle sharpness.
A tale of two renaults - tyro
In my opinion the problems with the Modus are:

You aren't the only one who isn't impressed. And there may be some you've missed. John Simister, in his comments as a ECOTY judge (see the ECOTY website) says:

"Neat idea, but it doesn't work. The Modus has a happy face and it's pleasing to drive, with a roll-along ride in the old-school French manner. But if you fold the rear seat forward to carry a big load, you have to push the front seats so far forward that the Modus becomes almost undriveable. Someone has slipped up with the packaging here."