Legroom for lanky people?? - franco
I'm looking for advice on which smallish cars (1.2 to 1.4 litre) for under a grand, around 10 years old or more years old offer a good bit of legroom for someone who is 6ft 5 and very long in the legs.

The only car I know for sure which I drove years ago was a Vauxhall Corsa although it might have been just that model of Corsa as other tall people I've spoke to have had a different experiences with the Corsa.

Other cars I'm thinking of are the Astra and Seat Ibiza. If I have to I will consider going for a 1.6. I was thinking in that case of a Mondeo or Orion, but when I had a Sierra years ago even the legroom in that wasn't long enough. After driving for more than 20 or 30 minutes it kind of leaves the knees sore.
Legroom for lanky people?? - Adam {P}
Franco,

I'm 6ft 5 and I had a Mark 4 Fiesta for a year (the 1996-2000ish Version)

Granted, I had to have the seat fully back but the entire base reclined (may only have been on the Ghia spec) which helped.

I used it every day both on fast roads and motorway cruising without a problem but after an hour or two, in baking sun with no air con did make it a little uncomfy but I suspect that was due to the heat more than anything else.

--
Adam
Legroom for lanky people?? - RichardW
I'm 6ft, but have quite long legs. Citroen ZX is the only car I have driven where I don't have to have the seat all the way back to get in. Will be well under your budget in 1.4 guise, and you can get a very nice TD for under a grand - I've just bought a 94M with only 65k miles and excellent condition for £800 (don't get a look in though as my wife has bagged it all the time!)

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Actually I was going to mention the Citroen ZX as it was on my list. I must have seen it recommended somewhere. I was discounting it as my sister had an Xsara, which was a bit short on leg room as well for me.

Yeah I'll add the Fiesta to my list as well. I'd also like to hear what people think of the Mondeo or Orion for leg room, even though they are a second choice for me. I seen one at a good price, but the reason I'm here asking is I wouldn't want to travel all the way to see the car then find as soon as I get in I've wasted a journey.
Legroom for lanky people?? - Adam {P}
A Mondeo is fine too for legroom. Stands to reason I suppose being a bigger Ford.

Can't commet on the Orion. Only ever been a passenger.
--
Adam
Legroom for lanky people?? - Mapmaker
A Jetta? The saving on initial cost will make up for the slightly higher running costs...
Legroom for lanky people?? - bimmer-driver
I remember once seeing somewhere on the telly a bloke of your size saying that the only small car he could fit into was the Renault 5. Even the latest ones ( M-reg?) would leave you plenty to spend on repairs.
Legroom for lanky people?? - trancer
Honda Civic 3 door hatchback.
Legroom for lanky people?? - blue_haddock
Peugeot 306's have lots of leg room - a good friend on mine is 6"8 and 18 stone and he does lots of miles in his.
Thanks for those, guys. I'm feeling spoiled for choice with all those suggestions. The only one I'd miss out on is the Renault. My dad always advised me against them as he reckons some jobs that should be simple are hard work and cost a lot more on Renaults.