Bugs on front of car - BobbyG
My local radio station has a phone in every morning on things to "help the listeners".

The other day there, it was how to shift dead bugs off the windscreen, front of car etc. Usual ideas inc vinegar and newspaper on windows, off the shelf bug killers etc.

However, one person said that when going on long journey, they just smear front of car with a Vaseline type jelly and then hose off at the end of journey.

Would this work, I assume it wouldn't damage the paintwork but would it have any affect on the waxes / polish on the car?

For those of you that hammer along each day then I can see you not bothering too much, but for someone like myself who might travel down South a couple of times a year I think it might not be too bad an idea as I usually have to wash car several times to get rid of all the bugs.

What do you use, and is it effective?
Bugs on front of car - blue_haddock
A mate of mine does a lot of downhill mountain biking and he smears the bikes frame with vaseline then just jetwashes it off afterwards.
Bugs on front of car - Truckersunite
One of the best methods of removing bugs from the front of a vehicle is to use an old pair of tights and put a sponge inside them then use soapy water, it used to work a treat on my motorbike - best to ask b4 you start using the tights though!!!!
Bugs on front of car - spikeyhead {p}
Use truckwash. Spray on, leave for not too long, jetwash off. Its the lazy persons way of cleaning a car when its a real mess.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Bugs on front of car - Altea Ego
Are you trying to say that the only bugs are down south?
Bugs on front of car - BobbyG
RF, absolutely not!
Many a time I have came back from the North of Scotland with the car front covered in midgies to the extent that the number plate was probably illegal!
Bugs on front of car - trancer
An old towel soaked in hot (from tap) water laid over the bug smeared body work. Leave it a few mins and the bug guts dissolve and can easily be wiped away with the same towel or with a proper soapy water wash.
Bugs on front of car - Citroënian {P}
Best thing I've found is an old toothbrush, works a treat if a bit labour intensive.
-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
Bugs on front of car - THe Growler
That's the way we do it in the tropics, with a wet towel. Anything that really refuses to move after this: Simoniz Bug & Tar Cleaner.
Bugs on front of car - pmh
It has been noted before that the french solvents for screen cleaing, screen wash etc are MUCH better than anything you can buy in the UK! So next time you do a booze cruise, forget the wine and fill up with aerosols and screen wash. There is probably more alcohol in them than "vin de table", so be prepared to declare it for 'personal use' only, or get the car confiscated!

If you buy from a diy super market it is also worth buying 1litre bottles of the commonly available solvents, including acetone, tri bent????, alcohol, Carbon tetrachloride (and also hydrochloric acid) etc that are available off the shelf at a fraction of the UK prices. Swimming pool chemicals can be as little as 30% of UK prices.

But dont hit anything on the way back and let them all mix together, I am not sure EuroTunnel would like it either!

--

pmh (was peter)

Bugs on front of car - blue_haddock
Why not go the whole hog and buy a car bra?