Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Peter M.
Does anyone have the recipe for a cheap and effective screen defrost liquid to use in a squeezy spray bottle? I seem to be using a can every morning, and it freezes over again within seconds.
Many thanks,
P.
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Alwyn
Use a couple of large jugs of warm water instead. Works for me and many others.
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Andy Bairsto
Be careful if the screen is to cold it will crack ,It was -22c in Dresden today and as warm water freezes faster than cold water you would end up with ice an inch thick.Cold water is much better and safer or use a car top.
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Mark (Brazil)
> and as warm water freezes faster than cold water

Oh, Andy !! You of all people.

Warm water does not freeze faster than cold water.

If you think about it, water which was 10 degrees could not freeze faster than water which was 5 degrees, since at some point the 10 degree water would become 5 degree water and adopt its characteristics. To all intents and purposes cooling does not have inertia.

What it does do is lose more heat per time period, since it has got more heat to lose (greater temperature differential).

M.
You do not know your physics Mark, the cooling is not linear and hot water freezes much faster than cold water .Water at 20c taken into a room at -20c will freeze twice as fast as water at 5c.The hot water will take seconds and the cold water minutes .Its all that sun you get

> You do not know your physics Mark, the cooling is not linear
> and hot water freezes much faster than cold water .Water at
> 20c taken into a room at -20c will freeze twice as fast as
> water at 5c.The hot water will take seconds and the cold
> water minutes .Its all that sun you get

Cooling is not linear, I agree. Heat loss from warm water will be faster I agree - for as long as the water *is* warmer. When it is the same temperature as the other water heat loss and cooling will match.

However, hot water will not *freeze* faster than cold water although it will *cool* faster.

Andy - I bet you a virtual beer that I am right. In fact, I am so confident make that *2* virtual beers.
> Andy - I bet you a virtual beer that I am right. In fact, I am so confident make that *2* virtual beers.

Aww, goddamn it.

www.weburbia.com/physics/hot_water.html

Mark. (off to look for conflicting arguments and pointing out that it says under *some* circumstances not *all* and not even *most*)
Your wrong Mark,Two vitual beers behind the bar in Omalleys Sau paulo.Difference of opinion apart pouring hot water onto a cold screen and sealing rubber can be disasterous.Having said that the thought of a beer sounds good of to bar next door.If you get down to Coratiba try get up to the German town in the mountains behind it its brilliant there is even a small train that will take you.
Favourite bar in Sao Paulo is Charles Edward on Juscelino Kubitscheck. If you don't know it, its opposite Dado Beer which you *must* know.

Don't like Curitiba, it rains all the time.
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Alwyn
Gents, Stop fighting. I did not say hot water, I said warm water.

I have been doing this for 40 years - not continually - and never had a screen crack yet. Use plenty of warm (just) water and it will defrost both inside and out.

I have often wondered why hot water might freeze faster than cold. (Yes I have heard it before) As has been pointed out, as the hot water cools, it will fall to the same temperature level as the cold water and will forget it was once hot water and behave the same as the cold water.
hot and cold water - ian (cape town)
The old metal ice-cube makers, filled with warm water, would partially melt the ice in the fridge compartment, thus giving a metal-to-metal contact, which would freeze the cubes quicker than if the (cold) ice maker had been resting on an uneven icy surface.
This is probably how the myth originated.Now, where's my gin and tonic?
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Fred
instead of a car top, use sheets of newspaper on windscreen the night before, works 100% on frosty mornings, however if it rains it can make a mess!
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Tomo
There was a similar case in Africa, where a class was set to make ice cream. One of the class declared it was made quicker from mixture at ambient temperature rather than pre-cooled. The teacher, bless him, decided to divest the pupil of his notion by demonstration rather than didactically, and found that what was claimed was so.

It may be in the files of Nature.

Anyway, I'd be dubious about pouring hot water over a very cold windscreen - I imagine the freezing temperature of water is irrelevant, the temperature differential and thermal shock is what counts - but our neighbours seem to get away with it. Probably a laminated windscreen is less at risk than the old toughened variety.
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Brian
I never have understood the theory that warm water freezes faster than cold water.
To my simple way of thinking, warm water will, at some point on its' cooling path, come down to the same temperature at which the cold water started and will therefore take the same time from that point on.
So to that time you have to add the time the warm water takes to get from its' warm state down to the common cold state.
Discuss.
Plastic car cover from Argos @ £7.50
Brain ,see my above reply.I agree 7.50 ukp is not a lot to pay cheaper than sprays in the long run.I am lucky that I have a underground garage and if we go out and the weather is that cold I put my preheater on when we park and its lovely and warm when I come back
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Bob H
The subject of warm v cold water freezing quicker was on that well known scientific TV programme 'Blue Peter' - yonks ago. I think they concluded that it can happen under certain conditions.

Bob
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Andrew Hamilton
Was an article in New Scientist, years ago. that proved, that in fridge freezer section, warm water became ice cubes quicker than cold water. They could not explain result, except to suggest that the circulation patterns could have contributed.
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Lekas
I use Holts Destroyer De-Icer, which answers your problem and is claimed not to re-ice down to -20C. In is in a squeezy bottle. A little spray round the window edges should free them, into the bargain. (You could also try peeing on the glass.) Make sure the wipers are free before turning them on, otherwise you may blow a fuse.
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Anthony Farrar
Did you know that warm pee freezes quicker than cold pee?
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - crazed idiot
this reminds me of all the science books that say fill tow balloons, one with hydrogen and the other with helium, the ends and leave them to go down naturally over the course of a few days

which one goes down first

the books say hydrogen goes down first (as any 'o' level chemist would know from the periodic table and a bit of guess work)

sadly the helium one is the one that goes down first

dunno about the water, doesnt make sense under any theory i remember from my (quite high level) science studies - although that was some time ago, maybe one water source had small bubbles or something to confuse the issue ? Other than that it doesnt make sense, somebody tell me the scientific explanation, otherwise I'll remain a cynic - and i'll even agree with matey boy in brazil on this one
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - David W
Mark/Andy,

I've always thought this (hot water freezing faster than cold) an old wives tale.

To be honest the stuff in the link would not be out of place in an April Fools article because I struggle to understand how it took the boffins 'till 1969 to discover/investigate this. And how come there are so many "well it might not work in this or that circumstance" get outs? Most important the article writer states that the effect isn't fully understood by the scientific community.

What? As a race we can send a man to the moon and produce the Toyota Yaris but not prove a simple (?) effect like this.

I'm straight out in the morning with two mugs of water in the freezer, I'll let you know!

David

PS. I have thought this effect was claimed due to the rapid evaporation of the hot water allowing the remaining smaller volume to easily freeze.

In an approximate section from the site which I must credit to Monwhea Jeng (Momo), Department of Physics, University of California they do expand on this aspect.....

.......As the initially warmer water cools to the initial temperature of the initially cooler water, it may lose significant amounts of water to evaporation. The reduced mass will make it easier for the water to cool and freeze. Then the initially warmer water can freeze before the initially cooler water, but will make less ice. Theoretical calculations have shown that evaporation can explain the Mpemba effect if you assume that the water loses heat solely through evaporation. This explanation is solid and evaporation is undoubtedly important in most situations. However, it is not the only mechanism. Evaporation cannot explain experiments which were done in closed containers, where no mass was lost to evaporation. And many scientists have claimed that evaporation alone is insufficient to explain their results.....
Maybe if the "warm" water has been boiled, or at least highly heated before attaining the "warm" state, any air dissolved in the water has been forced out and this affects the freezing qualities viz a viz unheated water which still contains microscopic air bubbles?
Re: Windscreen Defrost Mixture - Guy Lacey
Water goes against a number of laws/theories that apply to most other liquids. For example, how many materials do you know that, when solid, float in the corresponding liquid? Any GCSE physicist/chemist will tell you that as the state decreases along lines of entropy the density will increase. In water this is false - ice floats, hence icebergs. Due to hydrogen bonding.

Water is also the *only* universal solvent. All materials are solvent in water to some degree.
uuh, guys, didn`t you read the pointer I posted above ? It was quite a serious and detailed explanation as to why under some circumstances with some influences, warm water can freeze faster than cold.

Once I realised I was wrong I lost interest, but it was something about the increased molecular activity exposed a larger volume of water to the cooling influence or some such.

However, it is not the norm and relies on outside influence and specific circumstances.

I am still not sure I believe it since it sounds flat out wrong to be, but since my science education was regrettably, and rather abruptly, curtailed prematurely after an unfortunate incident with some magnesium ribbon and a dead rat, I am not really qualified to say.

Regards,

Matey Boy from Brazil
but does it really matter! - Iain
Warm water is still the best way of removing ice from windscreens and side windows, etc. The fact that it freezes quicker than cold water is neither here nor there - because when you get in the car you operate your windscreen wipers and hey presto the water (warm or cold) gets swept off the windscreen!! :). For the ultra careful I suggest using two containers with different temperatures of water in each. Start with the cooler first.