Our forum software is the best - Happy Blue!
I've just hooked up to the Scoobynet site and had a look at their forum.

Ughh! Ugly. So user unfriendly. Not nice and clean and neat like ours is. No complaints about the content and some very interesting information supplied (like the viscosity of oil at below 0C and 100C), but simply much harder to navigate around.

So well done HJ for choosing this.

There was a surveyors forum set up a few months ago, but again it was so hard to navigate than I couldn't be bothered viewing and I think it folded.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Our forum software is the best - Ex-Moderator
HJ didn't so much choose it - it was written by Khoo Systems and this is the first ever place that it was used.
Our forum software is the best - v0n
We still could do with an edit button... I know, if you had one penny for every time someone said "edit button" you'd have enough money to buy one for us... ;)
I have to be honest, I wouldn't give you one if I could. I've seen too many games played where someone will type one thing to start and argument and then rephrase it slightly causing everybody else to look foolish.

You don't get an edit button when chatting in a pub, you just have to occasionally back pedal and explain what you really meant - its much the same here.
Our forum software is the best - local yokel
But you could have an edit function that only allowed a person to append an update their post, not change the orig. post. That could still take the heat out of a raging arguement, perhaps?
Its irrelevant since there isn't one. Nor are there any plans for there to be.
Our forum software is the best - No Do$h
No more so than a later post saying "sorry, didn't mean that, meant this".

No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Our forum software is the best - Badger
Aw, come on Mark. Most forums then say "this was edited on" etc., leaving no doubt that the originator has changed the text.
Our forum software is the best - Adam {P}
Nope. No edit button. I'll tell you why.

1) Sometimes, I'll arrive here to find a mystical comment by the mods which only serves to make me want to know what happened to cause it. E.g.

We'll have quite enough of that thank you. How to murder people/extremist views such as those/we've had enough of your kind here will not be tolerated on this forum - Mark.

Having an edit button would undoubtedly avoid the need for any of the mod's comments and so, make the forum a more boring place ;-)

2) Some of my posts are riddled with the most blatent typos because a) I don't proof read them and b) I'm ham fisted. The lack of an edit button would take away my excuse for them being there which leads me to...

3) If my posts have spelling errors then I'm sure as hell not letting you fix yours. You're all going down with me!

4) If you ever convinced Mark to agree with you on this, I would give you £10,000...and I don't have £10,000.

Down wiv d edit btn. Up wiv speling miztaks.
--
Adam
Our forum software is the best - Stuartli
>>and this is the first ever place that it was used.>>

Sorry to be pedantic, but first doesn't require the word ever to follow it...:-)

One of the first style book rulings that was emphasised to me and other journalists....:-))

To be serious, the website is basically simple, yet neatly laid out.

Too many websites have a mass of potential routes and this can put many people off.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Our forum software is the best - mare
There was a surveyors forum set up a few months ago,
but again it was so hard to navigate than I couldn't
be bothered viewing and I think it folded.
--

I am MRICS too, and the RICS forum is hopeless to navigate around. I have emailed them to say look at this one as a model.

FWIW the RICS forum is hampered because

a - your real name is up in lights rather than a pseudonym
b - you are see bound by the RICS regs about giving advice, which seems a bit OTT within the surveying community.

As an aside, the RICS have over 100,000 members, most of which i imagine have internet access. Yet the post rate is very low compared to this one.
Our forum software is the best - spikeyhead {p}
There's only one other forum that I post on, using another nic, that I won't name due to its adult content.

But the forum formats there, coded by the owner of the site are better that this because:-

There's an edit button, though if you do edit it then the post shows that you've edited it and the mods still have access to what's been changed.

They're pretty, with a black and purple background

but what is really important with any forum is the quality of the mods, and both here and there the fora are well moderated. Without that, the anonymity that comes from sitting befind a keyboard means that too many threads degerate into ad hominen filled slanging matches.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Our forum software is the best - Mapmaker
Best things about this forum software.

1. Small font - so you get more words on the screen at once.

2. Non-breaking of threads - so you get all 100 responses without having to click on multiple pages. Fora with 5-10 posts per page are sooooo slow & boring.

Our forum software is the best - Xileno {P}
Also there are none of those irritating smiley/grumpy face thingies.
>>Small font - so you get more words on the screen at once.>>

That will please the younger visitors but, for the old fogies amongst us, if you have Firefox and use Ctrl> or - you can enlarge or reduce the font size as required.
What's for you won't pass you by
I think the check system mistook f -ont size for something else..:-)
Our forum software is the best - Dynamic Dave
I think the check system mistook f -ont size for something
else..:-)

No. It's in our swearfilter to prevent people from mis-using the command. Text edited, btw.
Our forum software is the best - Pezzer
Stuart, top tip thanks for that.

P
Something that IE lacks...:-)

Re swearfilter - that was the word I was trying to remember...
I see the swearfilter took out the plus sign before Control as well...
I see the swearfilter took out the plus sign before Control
as well...

Er, not quite. It was there until I edited your post. For whatever reason whenever we edit a post it decides to omit the + symbol when we update the posting. Don't ask me why though.
Our forum software is the best - mfarrow
The best things about this forum software:

1. No edit button.
2. No garbage down the side full of user info/piccy/post count. I am still a "new member" of my mates website even though I've joined since September '04.
3. Small font makes it easy to navigate to bottom of page.
4. Only two main forum pages: Discussion and Technical. Too many sites have too many.
5. Good search facility that will search the whole back room, not just the forum you're on.
You can only choose one font and one font size/colour.

Bad things about this forum software:

1. "Preview" a message opens in another window via javascript, which Norton doesn't like. To get around this I have to disable Norton then refresh the page and type it in again, or Ctrl v. Not too much time wasted, but still a pain.
2. Bold and italic buttons would be nice, it's a pain when you forget the tag wrong and end up with an entire post of "bolalics".

--------------
Mike Farrow
Our forum software is the best - somebody
This software really is very good. Take a look at Slashdot sometime, supposedly written by the creme de la creme of geeks, but the HJ forum software is vastly easier to read, post and navigate.
Our forum software is the best - Big Bad Dave
As someone with a few obsessive compulsive disorder issues (mostly related to toys) I find that the little red "new" sign drives me crazy. I can?t shut down until I?ve clicked on every topic to make it disappear even if I?m not interested in that post. This is more difficult when people are posting rapidly and because high-speed internet in Poland is quite slow.
Were it not for my beautiful, tolerant wife to distract me and quit the program, there wouldn?t be time to draw round the base of all my daughter?s Playmobile characters so that I would know if they moved in the night.
Our forum software is the best - No Do$h
there wouldn?t be time to draw round
the base of all my daughter?s Playmobile characters so that I
would know if they moved in the night.

Once again you take the biscuit.

And the biscuit barrel

And some vouchers from the biscuit manufacturers for services to biscuitology.

:o)
Our forum software is the best - frostbite
"I find that the little red "new" sign drives me crazy."

It certainly does - to read all a longish thread and then see '3 new' when you go back to the index reminds me of 'Groundhog Day'.

It would be nice though if the 'new' was a different colour to the posters name - would make scanning through a thread easier.
Our forum software is the best - TimW
there wouldn?t be time to draw round
the base of all my daughter?s Playmobile characters so that I
would know if they moved in the night.

Unthinkable.
>>and because high-speed internet in Poland is quite slow.>>

I'd be glad I wasn't on dialup then...:-))
Our forum software is the best - JH
best contributors too.

John
Our forum software is the best - Happy Blue!
Just realised something though...and it could be an improvement to the software.

When you get to the bottom of a long thread, can we have a 'Discussion' button there as well as at the top. That means we can look at all the threads without having to go back up to the top of the current long thread.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Our forum software is the best - Garethj
Seems to work very well, but if I write a long, considered reply (yes, even I do it sometimes) it's annoying when you need to log in again and it deletes all the text.

Is there an easy way of making this time longer, or is there a reason why it's quite short?
Seems to work very well, but if I write a long,
considered reply (yes, even I do it sometimes) it's annoying when
you need to log in again and it deletes all the
text.

Details of how to recover / prevent it happening are mentioned in Announcements.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=3&t=78...5
Is there an easy way of making this time longer, or
is there a reason why it's quite short?

The auto timeout used to be approx 20 mins, unless it's been recently changed. No idea why it's not longer, but I wouldn't have said 20 mins was quite short to be honest.
Our forum software is the best - Garethj
The auto timeout used to be approx 20 mins, unless it's been recently changed. No idea why it's not longer, but I wouldn't have said 20 mins was quite short to be honest.

Thanks, Dave. It seems to be more like 5 minutes, so perhaps it's to do with the web server at the office.
Our forum software is the best - mfarrow
Yes, good suggestion Espada, as "back" on the browser doesn't refresh the page like clicking "Discussion" does.
Yes, good suggestion Espada, as "back" on the browser doesn't refresh
the page like clicking "Discussion" does.

You could of course just press the "Home" key (top row, middle, in the group of six keys, or key number 7 when the Num Lock is turned off) to take you back up to the top of the page to get to the Dicussion link.
Our forum software is the best - cheddar
When you get to the bottom of a long thread, can
we have a 'Discussion' button there as well as at the
top. That means we can look at all the threads
without having to go back up to the top of the
current long thread.

Agree 100%, a real improvement. Otherwise a "back" button, or a "go to" drop box.

Also I vote for an "edit" button.

Otherwise all works fine.
Our forum software is the best - Mapmaker
When you get to the bottom of a long thread, can
we have a 'Discussion' button there as well as at the
top. That means we can look at all the threads

I always launch each thread in a new window from the main index. That speeds up downloading time.
Our forum software is the best - autumnboy
The gripe I have with this site, is that you cannot edit your reply if you've made a mistake or wish to make adjustments.

I find Scooby and others very good, its what you get used to staying at one site.