Smokin 405 - brenus
Hello all

Sorry to burst straight in with some quesies.

I have a 95 reg 405 td estate. The problem is upon starting it smokes like hell until the engine is warmed up.

I have tried leaving the glow plugs on a bit longer this did not help at all. The engine also runs very lumpy.

There is a valve on the side of the intercooler that is blowing air out and the haynes manual shows two pipes on it. However on mine there is only one the bottom one. It clearly looks as though a pipe has come off however i cannot find one or the place this pipe connects to after the intercooler valve.
Any help would be very much appreciated. Picies even better "monkey see monkey do".

Thankyou Brenus
Smokin 405 - glowplug
Hi,

I'll have a look on mine and let you know. I think you're looking at a timing/injection system problem. If it's smokin that much until warm, I'd think it was the cold start mechanism that's faulty, maybe excess fuel. Does it run lumpy all the time? Or just when cold? Has the cam belt been changed? If so could be the timings out and so it will smoke and run like a pig.

Maybe a set of dealer CD ROM discs from Ebay would be a good purchase, I paid about £5 for mine.

Steve.
405 GTX TD EST.
Smokin 405 - glowplug
On the front of the intercooler is a small bore pipe that connects to the top of the injector pump (mine's a Bosch), this is how the fueling is controlled as boost pressure increases. On the right hand side of the intercooler is a circular fitting, off this are 2 medium bore pipes. 1 goes to the oil filler cap and the other hose goes to the air filter housing.

Steve.
Smokin 405 - dieselhead
Hi,
Really need more information such as mileage, colour of smoke and oil consumption. Seems unlikely to be the pump timing unless this has been disturbed. Could be that injectors need cleaning and setting up or valve clearances are too tight.
Valves tend to sink sometimes after 100k on these engines.

The pipe from the intercooler connects to a diaphragm on the injector pump that increases fuel delivery with boost pressure - would cause poor performance but not smoking i should think. Others may know better.