tyres for Mondeo - oldpostie
My 2003 TDC has covered 22000 miles, and i've just come back from holiday in Scotland. One tyre had to be replaced before I went away as it had a worn band, which looked as if it had been on the front, and kerbed badly. The tracking was correct when I had it checked. The other tyre, now on the back, was not badly worn before I left, but is barely legal now, if that, and will need replacing tomorrow. These are original fit Pirellis. Is it usual for a tyre to wear so soon ? Does the MkII wear that much more than the MkI (my old 2.0 did over 50k on original tyres)? Or was the original owner that heavy footed ? The car was bought at a closed Ford auction so I don't know who drove it, although Mr.Ford owned it.
Can anyone recommend a better wearing tyre than the Pirelli ? I am reluctant to put two different tyres on one axle though. Any comments will be appreciated.
tyres for Mondeo - aliveankikin
Most major tyre manufacturers give good wear and performance these days, its hard to say if one is better than the other.
It certainly sounds as though someone has thrown the car into a few corners at speed for them to wear like that, which doesn't help maintain the structure of the tyre which will lead to unusual wear characteristics. DONT MIX TYRE BRANDS ON ANY AXLE.
tyres for Mondeo - rtj70
My Mondeo TDCi 130 did about 22k on the front tyres before they needed replacing. Wear was more on the inside edge of the tyre. Probably wrong but makes me wonder about speed humps --- all over the place near where I live. But I'm not complaining 'cos it's slowed down the drivers on our street (lost one cat) and it's only a quiet residential street.

Previous car was a Passat 1.8T Sport and that did no better on most tyre brands used on front. Best were some Avons which at the time I didn't want fitting but as a company driver, had no option.
tyres for Mondeo - cheddar
I have had 25k/30k + front/rear from Conti's, though the current Bridgestone Potenzas dont seem to be wearing quite as well.
Mine is a Ghia X on 17", 205/50's.
I've just bought a new tyre, this morning. The boss man at Wellingborough tyres was very surprised at the wear in 1500 miles, from what he saw when I replaced the first tyre. He reckoned something was amiss, especially as the first new tyre showed signs of wearing. So I took it to the Ford dealer who supplied the car. I shall find out next Tuesday what is wrong, when it has been checked.
What I find annoying is when someone tells you things like, 'That's been like it a long time', when you have independent witnesses who saw it before and after, less than two weeks ago. I don't think that's the way to speak to a customer who paid £12000 six months ago in their garage. However, to give thema chance to redeem themselves, they are to lend me a car tomorrow until mine is sorted out, as I am not keen on driving it like this.
tyres for Mondeo - AR-CoolC
OP
It sounds like you would benefit from one of those all singing all dancing four wheel alignment jobbies. By all acounts they make a fantastic difference, not only to the tyre wear but the handling.

I am having a full set of four fitted tommorow on my Focus and then getting the four wheel alignment next week some time. I don't know how mutch they cost as I have managed to blag myself a freebee.
tyres for Mondeo - Chad.R
I don't know how mutch they cost as I
have managed to blag myself a freebee.

Somewhere around £25-30 should do it. Looking at the receipt from the last time I had it done (Micheldever Tyres) they charged me £22.13+VAT for 4 wheel alignment on the Landcruiser.

tyres for Mondeo - percy
My Mk 1 has always been fairly heavy on tyres (Continentals) 20k-ish front, 30k-ish rear but I do drive fairly steady.
Interestingly our local tyre supplier does £30 4 wheel alignment and I was a tad sceptical about his abilities. However our low mileage works transit had never felt right steering-wise, so when it was serviced by the local Ford agent, they were asked to check out the tracking.
Naturally they charged us an arm and a leg and it was no better.
When the nearside front tyre was worn out I suggested that the van was taken to the local supplier.
He did the business ok and when I got to drive it again the steering was much improved.
Same old story, you have to suffer to find out who the good guys are!
tyres for Mondeo - kithmo
After renewing my front tyres (at £125 each) on my 2.5 V6 Mk3 Mondeo, I had a 4 wheel alignment check at a local tyre fitters. They said it was OK and made no adjustment so didn't charge me for just checking it. 7,000 miles later the new tyres were scrubbed bald on the inside. I put new tyres on again and had it 4 wheel checked again at a different tyre fitters and to my suprise they said it was OK and again it didn't cost me anything. I then took it to Rapid fit at the local Ford agents and asked them to check for any abnormalities in the suspension/steering. They did a 4 wheel alignment check and said although the alignment was within Ford specs it was slightly out. They then adjusted it and as I drove down the road I noticed that the steering wheel was now off centre. I took the car back and they re-checked it and said it was all in line so they adjusted the track rod ends a little on each side to bring the steering wheel back in line (still slightly out). I was not happy with the alignment, although the car ran straight, the tyres seemed noisy, so I searched the internet for a device we used to use years ago called a Trakrite, made by Gunsons, for checking wheel alignment. It's a plate that you run over and it tells you the toe in/toe out of each wheel. I bought one and when I used it I found that the fronts were slightly out one way (toe in at one side, toe out at the other) and the rears were slightly out in the same direction (albeit all within Ford specs), IMO resulting in the car crabbing slightly. I adjusted all 4 wheels to the Ford tolerance end nearest to 0 degrees and the steering wheel was straight, the tyres were now quiet, the mpg went up and now nearly 8,000 miles later all 4 tyres are wearing perfectly even. IMO if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself !.
'IMO if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself '

I quite agree. I shall see what happens next week. It's the old story, that when you want to buy something everyone is so helpful, then it changes. But they are lending me a car over the weekend when they are closed, so I give them credit for that.

I seem to remember a lot of fuss made on TV consumer programmes, years ago, about the first Mondeos steering to the side. Up till now I've never had a problem, and this is my third Mondeo.