Citroen ZX Diesel Injectors - owenP
My Citroen ZX Diesel (1.9D non turbo) has started to lose power, and there is quite a strong smell of diesel fumes when you drive it. I have tried some Millers injector cleaner, but this hasn't sorted the problem out. The car has been recently serviced, and has had all the usual items replaced (fuel filter, oil filter) etc.

I suspect the injectors are due for changing - I have read that they usually need changing between 60,000 and 80,000 miles. My car has done about 93k. Does this sound like an injector problem? Are there any tips or tricks to be aware of when changing the injectors on these engines?

Citroen ZX Diesel Injectors - RichardW
I doubt this is the injectors - symptoms that they need looking at include difficult starting, smoking, extra clattery engine. When you say you can smell diesel fumes do you mean unburnt diesel or exhaust fumes? If the former then you need to have a good look at the leak off pipes (small rubber pipes that join the injectors together) and the injection pump itself - I suspect you will find a leak here somewhere, and that your car a Lucas injection pump, which is not tolerant of air getting in, causing running problems. If you can smell exhaust fumes, then there is an exhaust leak, or hole in the car somewhere that is sucking the fumes back in - I suspect however, you have a diesel leak somewhere.

The injectors will probably go another 90k yet before they need changing...
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....