CD player - Darcy Kitchin
My Synergie has a CD player which lives in a cubby-hole by the back lights. Because my music gene is either damaged or missing, and I drive solo much of the time, the unit was last used sometime during the summer. During the Christmas running around, one of the girls asked me to switch it on. It was fully 10 minutes before it started to play anything, even selecting different discs. It now seems to play normally.

Question; why? Do CD players have a rechargeable battery which needs time for a charge to build up. Would it have condensation in it, and if so would the unit be smart enough to detect it. What should I do to keep it in good order. Is it like air con in that it needs playing at regular intervals?
Re: CD player - Mark (Brazil)
Don't know about yours, but mine certainly does detect condensation. Since its cunningly placed right next to an Aircon vent, this is frequently a problem.

When it does find condensation, the behvaiour is exactly the same as yours - it sits there obeying commands, but won't actually play until it decides it can.

If yours is multi-disk, I guess you've got a changer somewhere - is it exposed to dust, moisture or something ?

M.
Re: CD player - Darcy Kitchin
There is a unit that has a magazine of 6 CDs in it, this will be the changer?Can't have made it clear, but that is what lives in the cubby-hole at the back of the car. It may be prone to condensation as it's between the cabin and the outside skin of the car.
Re: CD player - David W
Darcy,

Many of them will sense condensation, at the very least a lot of it on the CD will spook the error correction and it may take some minutes before you'll hear Iron Maiden.

David
Re: CD player - John S
Darcy

Almost certainly a temperature/condensation problem detected by the unit. You did the right thing to switch it on and warm it up.
regards

John
Cold CDs - ian (cape town)
Could also be the problem - if the disc itself has been in sub-zero temps (Like in a cold car boot), it doesn't 'track' properly, until it warms up.
For some reason, older CD's which don't play well can sometimes be revamped by freezing them and letting them warm up again. (Good news for all you Bros fans!)
And for those who wear light-reactive spectacles, a few hours in the deep freeze will get the auto-darkening feature working much faster.
Re: CD player - Darcy Kitchin
Thanks for your replies.

David W "Iron Maiden", a mediaeval instrument of torture, right?
Re: CD player - David W
Darcy,

I think you'd regard them as such.

The day one of your daughters arrives home with a guy in an Iron Maiden t-shirt...........well don't expect a son-in-law who'll join the Caravan Club just yet!

David