replacement engine - Ford Focus - Joe 90
Hi,

My son's ford focus (xreg) has thrown a cambelt while driving, so two questions
1. what sort of damage has it done, and
2. how to fix it on nearly no money?

thanks for your suggestions.

Joe
replacement engine - Ford Focus - RichardW
What engine is in it? I think, however, all Focus engines will be interference, so:

1. Bent valves and / or broken rockers ranging to broken pistons and bent conrods.
2. You can't. Even if you DIY and it's only at the minor end of the scale, the parts (head set, head skim, new valves etc etc) are going to cost £200 or so.

Only way to not spend any money will be to sell the car as is (£1k - £2k maybe?) then spend that on something else, older and cheaper, and with a new cambelt.

Bad luck!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
replacement engine - Ford Focus - Adam {P}
Do you mind if I ask how many miles it had done?
--
Adam
replacement engine - Ford Focus - Galaxy
A known good second hand engine may be the most satisfactory solution here. Must be a few of these around now.

Still probably talking about a few hundred pounds to get it supplied and fitted, though. There's no lo-cost solution to this problem, I'm afraid.

Yes, I'd also be interested to know how many miles it had done when this happened.
If it's much less than 100k I'd be very worried.

If it is much less than 100k though, and it's been serviced, I think you have some recourse in as much that they're guaranteed for 100k/10 years.

Not sure of the specifics though.
--
Adam
replacement engine - Ford Focus - Joe 90
Adski,

1 / 59,000 miles (94,400kms I think)but,poorly serviced so it's his own fault.

2 / 1800cc

Joe 90
replacement engine - Ford Focus - Ford Dagenham
Hi

Oh no no no no no.

Iam now worried.

Is the cambelt fully warrented. for snapping before 10 years/100 thousand miles.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
replacement engine - Ford Focus - Aprilia
The cambelt is not really a 'service' item - so even if it had a full Ford SH it is unlikely that it would have made any difference.

Couple of possibilities - it has been 'clocked' and so actually done much more than 100k miles.
There was some other contributory fault (e.g. oil leak onto the cam belt, siezed belt pulley etc.).

No manufacturer guarantees anything after the relevant warranty period expires - especially not the cambelt.
That is worrying. I was planning on taking mine to around 90,000 ish.

(On around 67k now)
--
Adam
replacement engine - Ford Focus - Grease_monkey
Adski {P}

I'd say you have not got anything to worry about. From the sound of it the car was miss treated and he also says that it was poorly maintained. What do you expect.
I work with quite a few ex car mechanics on the railway in birmingham and some ex ford mechanics and i had the same worries when i had my Fiesta (1.25) and now my Focus (1.8TD) I was told by them that the ford timing belts are bigger and stronger than what they need to be and are very relaible compared to other car manufacturers.