I want to be alarmed!! - Wee Willie Winkie
Evening all,

My 1997 doesn't have an alarm, or remote central locking. My driver's door lock gave up the ghost over the weekend - it still locks and unlocks when using the passenger door - but I think the barrel inside the lock has collapsed.

So, rather than paying a VW dealer mega £££'s to sort out the lock, I've been toying with the idea of getting an alarm with a remote locking interface. I know it'll only leave me with one point of entry in the event of failure - but I can't help thinking my hard earned cash is better off being spent on an alarm rather than lining a dealership's pockets!

Any recommendations for aftermarkets alarms would be gratefully received!

Cheers,

DB
typo corrected
I want to be alarmed!! - Altea Ego
NO you dont want to do that, you really dont want a nasty cheap aftermarket car alarm that is going to cause you agro for years.

Spend the money on a new lock
I want to be alarmed!! - teabelly
Why not swap the two locks over? Alternatively get a pair of replacement ones from a scrappie.

Is there a VW independent or other independent that would replace the lock for a better price?

teabelly
It wouldn't be a "cheap and nasty" aftermarket alarm - I'm looking at the likes of a Cat 1, probably Toad or Clifford.

Thanks for your thoughts so far...
I want to be alarmed!! - frostbite
Trouble is, if it transpired after an 'incident' that your locking was faulty, your insurance co. would probably deny all responsibility regardless of any alarm or even armed guard.
I want to be alarmed!! - martint123
No sure about your's but a Renault lock barrel was only 6 quid a couple of years ago when I last changed one. If you have patience you can also tweak them to accept the old key.

It probably only wants cleaning anyway.
I want to be alarmed!! - Altea Ego
Sorry? you want to pay for a cat 1 alarm, yet dont want to pay probably less for keys and locks that work?
I want to be alarmed!! - Badger
Why not swap the two locks over? Alternatively get a pair of replacement ones from a scrappie.

Scrappers never seem to have the key.
I want to be alarmed!! - Blue {P}
We did exactly this after our BMW got broken into a year ago, they smashed up the passenger side lock barrel.

Instead of replacing it properly we used a new rear door handle to replace the front door handle (fortunately they were almost identical) and now the car only has the driver's side lock.

We decided to do this because we have had an alarm on the car for years with remote activationa dn it's never caused us any bother.

I would say get the alarm and just leave or remove the lock by getting a rear door handle from a scrappy (if that trick will work with a VW that is)

Unless the faulty barell makes it easier to break in (highly unlikely I would think) then I don't see there been any liability issue.

Blue
I want to be alarmed!! - Dynamic Dave
Scrappers never seem to have the key.

A few years ago a mate needed a replacement lock for his Cavalier. Found one easily enough in the scrappers, but looking through 4 plastic containers (which were once ice cream tubs) full of keys to find the right one that fitted was a nightmare.
I want to be alarmed!! - AK76
Diesel - on a serious note rather than a lecturing 'why dont you do this instead' i can see your point. No alarm. want an alarm. bad lock. kill two birds with one stone.

I would go Clifford but really only need circa £300 one as the others have so many options that most dont need them.

Also the question on insurers - the insurers will never have a theft claim reported as i doubt 99% of thiefs can nick a car with a Clifford Cat 1.
I want to be alarmed!! - MW
I actually disarmed the good aftermarket alarm on my car as it kept going off and the neighbours (and us) were fed up.
I would advise fitting a dummy flashing light to the dash, fixing the lock, maybe £50, and fitting a Thatcham steering lock. My brother had his Mondeo stolen with an alarm and immobilser fitted. Now he does what I do, puts his faith in 3 feet of special steel, that is the best visible deterant, especially to chancers who might be interested in your aging car. You must fit it every time though.
I want to be alarmed!! - artful dodger {P}
Why not try a good locksmith? If you remove the lock barrel they should be able to sort the internal problem for you - it is their job.
I want to be alarmed!! - sierraman
When I had lock trouble I fitted a remote locking unit from Maplins.This works on its own,but they do alarms that can have an interface added.I have used their alarms for years with no trouble,even the 'inexpensive' ones.Very simple to install but I doubt an autoelectician would charge a lot.
Thanks for all your (mostly) useful suggestions.

My local backstreet garage is going to take a look at it and see what he can do. VW have quoted >£100 for fitting a new barrel so I may as well kill two birds with one stone if it can?t be repaired cheaper.

As for the insurance point ? there is no fault with the locking of the car ? it?s just you can?t operate it using the driver?s door lock. Also, RF, thanks for your particularly useful comments.