Pierburg 2E2 help needed - jamesc
I have a 1990 golf driver (63,000 miles), which has the following problems that I think are stemming from the carburettor.

1. Car fires fine but after a few seconds starts to run like a bag of hammers for anything up to a couple of minutes, this problem is almost unnoticeable on a hot day
2. On longish drives at a constant speed of about 80mph the car will start to misfire, getting worse until I stop and let it magically fix it?s self, if this happens it really eats fuel.
3. engine tends to idle to fast sometimes

I know some people will say bin the pierburg and get a weber but they are very hard to get hold of at the minute due to production problems, so if anyone has a second hand 32/34 DMTL let me know. jcne09950 at blueyonder dot co.uk
Pierburg 2E2 help needed - debugslife
Before binning anything, try the rubber gasket between the inlet manifold and the carburettor. I had an Audi 80 with a similar problem and it was down to this gasket spliting. If you pull the carb in different directions you should be able to see the split. It is very common on this type of engine. The Audi was the 1.8 version but I am sure they are essentially the same.
Pierburg 2E2 help needed - Number_Cruncher
For question 2, I would suspect that either of the air corrector jets at the top of the carb are becoming blocked. I'm not sure if you can actually unscrew these to clean them on a 2E2. Make sure this area of the carb is clean, and that engine fumes aren't clogging the area.

number_cruncher
Pierburg 2E2 help needed - RichardW
1 and 3 sounds like problems with the choke mechanism not doing what it's supposed to. 2 sounds like carb icing - probably only happens on cool damp days? Check that any hoses from the the exhaust manifold to the air intake are intact, and if there is a manual summer / winter control it is set to somewhere in the middle at the moment. If it has an automatic flap you need to make sure it's working, but how depends on what type, and I've no idea what's fitted to your car!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Yes i think the rubber seal on the bottom of the carb is split, also should the carb move quite a bit when the air filter is removed, looks like the carb only has one bolt fixing it down.

RichardW yeah i've onyl had that problem 2 twice and they were cool days and 3 deg C.

is the winter summer flap you refer to the one that modorates the hot/cold air into the carb via a vacume lifting a flap, if it is then i fixed that yesterday.

thanks
guys
Pierburg 2E2 help needed - debugslife
The gasket is flexible but the split is probably letting the carb move more than usual. One bolt is bad news in the same way that the split gasket is bad news. It should be a gas tight seal or it doesn't work correctly (less vaccuum). Air is being sucked into the inlet manifold and not even going through the carb. On my car it would run fine and then suddenly slow down until you had to stop. It pretty much struggled to even idle and usualy stalled.
Pierburg 2E2 help needed - Number_Cruncher
Having re-read the original post, I agree with the carb icing suggestion. I had missed the importance of the fault fixing itself when stopped.

number_cruncher
Pierburg 2E2 help needed - RichardW
"is the winter summer flap you refer to the one that modorates the hot/cold air into the carb via a vacume lifting a flap, if it is then i fixed that yesterday."

That's it. That should be 2 sorted then. 1 and 3 may well be fixed by changing that gasket mentioned by others.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
thanks again guys, you've been realy helpful
Pierburg 2E2 help needed - JSG2
Do a search on the archive bit of the technical section.

There's a thread from some time back detailing exactly how to fix the running problems of the pierberg.
Pierburg 2E2 help needed - TrevL

James,

You may have all the info you need now, but I had a 1990 Jetta
with the carb icing problem (took me a long time to work it out though!). After discussions with my helpful local workshop we tried a few things and sorted the problem. It appeared that a clear plastic hose (perhaps 3mm dia.) from under the air filter housing to the inlet flap was blocked/crimped causing the flap to stay open and cause the icing conditions. 10 pence fix if it's the same problem! Good luck.