The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 34 - Dynamic Dave

**** THREAD CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN

"The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 35" ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33050

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 34.

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846

DD.
A Present For Me - Points!! - Adam {P}
Well, it had to happen sooner or later and it has. I've gone through a speed trap at (probably) a speed over the limit.

I was driving Mum to town going up a farily wide road with a relatively steep gradient. Doing about 45ish, get to the top of the hill where it bends so I slip it into 3rd for the hazard and see two flourescent jackets. Naturally I slam the brakes on and go past where I see two young girls who I'm guessing are CSO's. They had a blue band around their hats. One was looking into the tripod with the laser gun on and the other had a clipboard. Definitely weren't Police. Incidently, on the way back, they were at the bottom of the hill on the other side of the road behind a tree.

Now I think it's fair to say, I've been done. I can see the funny side so I'm willing to bet NW is feeling pretty smug ;-)

I don't have any questions but a few things concern me (deja vu from my last meeting with a speed trap);

* They were both CSO's and so, civillians

* I'm not that happy that a failed cop has the power to put points on my licence just by a clipboard. It's hardly as concrete as a video or photograph is it?

* I won't even go into whether the laser was calibrated

Before anyone says it, Merseyside are a pretty no-nonsense force as in - speeding? You're nicked. None of this namby pamby Warning Letter business so I don't see it's that. In a funny way, I'd feel a whole lot better if it had been a cop rather than a civillian.

Whilst I did kill a load of speed, if they had the laser trained on the brow of the hill, I won't have a chance.

Anyway - just thought I'd tell you this amusing tale. I must admit, after punching the dashboard a few times, I feel a whole load better.
--
Adam
A Present For Me - Points!! - dieselnut
If they didn't have a camera I think you will be ok.
With no camera evidence they should stop you at the time & read you riot act (caution you).
Thats my understanding anyway.
A Present For Me - Points!! - NowWheels
I must admit, after punching the dashboard a few times, I feel
a whole load better.

A bit more punching the dashboard rather than the gas pedal, and you can keep on feeling better in the future, even if you get a NIP :)
NW, if that's your lecture, then I'm happy. I was expecting a lot worse!

With regards to the camer, I'm pretty sure it never had one on. It was quite a big blac thing with a small silver viewfinder on top of it.

The whole setup was on a tripod and I couldn't see any printers or anything like that.

I'll just have to wait and see but I'm pretty certain they've got me.
--
Adam
A Present For Me - Points!! - NowWheels
NW, if that's your lecture, then I'm happy. I was expecting a lot worse!

I reckjn I'll have more fun with a needle than a sledgehammer :)
A Present For Me - Points!! - Marc4Six
In my experience it takes a couple of seconds for lasers to take the first reading after coming into sight and 1-2 seconds for the second reading.

If you're lucky you may have braked in time. Remember 45mph on the speedo maybe 41mph true speed, with perhaps 3-4 seconds to lose another 7.

However, I know the feeling having recently come over the crest of a hill, spot laser van on bridge immediately, look at speedo reading 80mph (70mph limit) ease off, detector beeps once and then again speedo now reads 77-78 spend two weeks doubting my speedo readings thinking why didn't I just slam the brakes on to remove all doubt.

Next time its the brakes, to avoid the worry.
A Present For Me - Points!! - frostbite
Since you're only guessing they were CSO's, you could still hope they were theodolite bods.
Thanks for the encouragement Marc Four and Frostbite but I'm pretty sure they have got me in as much that I was speeding. My only hope is that for some reason, they were chatting and not looking.

Frostbite, that's what my Dad said but since when have survery people worn hats?
--
Adam
What is it with me and the word "SURVEY".

I'm probably thinking of carvery which reminds me. I'm hungry. Off for some food!
--
Adam
A Present For Me - Points!! - Citroënian {P}
Unless you're driving a blue car (not gold) with Everton flags in the windows and singing "I love David Moyes" at the top of your voice, I don't see how anyone could get nicked tonight in Liverpool.

If they do send you a NIP, send it back claiming Benitez, Carragher or Dudek was driving. Should get you off.

-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
A Present For Me - Points!! - ihpj
If what you say is correct, and these two were PCSOs, then I don't think what you went through was a speed trap because PCSOs don't the relevant authority to man mobile speed traps.

Now granted each Force can vary in what they use PCSOs for - but their actual powers are fixed by Law. ..and I see no mention of Speed Enforcement - although by the same token, they could be trained to use such devices, but then they would usually be accompanied by a 'Police Officer'. I'd be more inclined to call the local Station and ask them about what you had seen etc. and sound them out.

I personally think you didn't go through a trap myself. Time will tell I guess.

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
A Present For Me - Points!! - volvoman
Well Adski - commiserations on your situation. I've been having discussions with our local police and it appears that they are keen to extend the use of mobile speed traps to non-traffic officers and others, possibly CSO's in order to make up for the fact that the traffic section are seriously overworked and under-resourced. If this is the case you may well have been nabbed by them.

In any event see it as a learning experience and be philosphical. Failing that, become a premier leagure footballer, earn £££££'s pw and then fight the case on legal aid. :)

Best wishes.
A Present For Me - Points!! - Bromptonaut
Round my way speed detection devices are loaned to the parish council. Locals in day glo jackets man the "trap" but the worst offenders get is a warning letter. Pretty effective in slowing down speeders nonetheless!!
A Present For Me - Points!! - PoloGirl
Adam... behave... PCSOs are not failed police officers, they are employed to do a different role to that of an officer.

That aside though, PCSOs don't have the powers to man speed guns in Hampshire, and I didn't think it was one of their powers at all but could be wrong. Were there police officers anywhere nearby and did they have a laptop? (Am thinking it might have been mobile ANPR?)

Hate to break it to you, but most people who get points from guns and cameras get them from civillians as the people who man cameras tend to be from the safety camera partnerships and not police officers.

Hopefully yours wont come to anything.

Thanks for the words of encouragement people.

I'd just taken the Liverpool flag off as well Lee ;-)

ihpj - They were absolutely, positively without doubt PSCO's unless the Police have changed their uniform. I got another glance on the way back doing 25mph on purpose. (To the 6 cars who tailgated me from the top of the road, don't mention it)

VM - it's entirely likley it was a bone fide speed check and they have the power although I hope not.

Bromptonaught - I hope a warning's all I get. I really do.

PG. We'll agree to disagree. I can't think of why anyone would willingly be a PCSO but that's me. Obviously there's an attraction somewhere.....there's got to be.

>>Hate to break it to you, but most people who get points from guns and cameras get them from civillians as the people who man cameras tend to be from the safety camera partnerships and not police officers.<<

Thanks for making me feel better! ;-) The only difference here is that there is no evidence except a clipboard. What's to stop them seeing me parked up, realising it was me that bullied them at school and then writing my numberplate down for the hell of it?

and finally...

..DVD. I am the registered keeper. I followed the road to the end and there were no cops. (Although it was a 10 minute walk from the cop shop.) I'll hold my hands up - I was speeding. And if a proper copper had pulled me or was by the laser gun then fine. But what "training" do you go through as a PCSO?

We'll wait and see. Got to thank you all again for your help though. As always, it's very much appreciated.
--
Adam
A Present For Me - Points!! - No Do$h
Adam... behave... PCSOs are not failed police officers, they are employed
to do a different role to that of an officer.

Ahem. Not failed police officers, failed wannabe police officers, if we're going to be picky about it.
A Present For Me - Points!! - PoloGirl
>> Adam... behave... PCSOs are not failed police officers, they are
employed
>> to do a different role to that of an officer.
Ahem. Not failed police officers, failed wannabe police officers, if
we're going to be picky about it.

They're not, and in fact if you actually speak to them, you'll find that most applied because of the community aspect of their role, and have no desire to have the enhanced powers and take the flack and paperwork that officers have. As it's not motoring we'll have to agree to disagree. ;)
A Present For Me - Points!! - ihpj
Ahem. Not failed police officers, failed wannabe police officers, if
we're going to be picky about it.

>>
Well I cna't say that I disagree :P

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
A Present For Me - Points!! - Dwight Van Driver
Agree with ihpj Adski.

As far as I am aware the powers of CSO"s have not as yet been extended to the prosecution of speed offences. However they are being used for the collection of data. In my old Force area they, in company with Fire Brigade, tout the automatic speed warning Matrix boards about the County.

Known that some Forces do what Bromptonaut mentions and if the problem is confirmed they call in the heavies and prosecute.

Generally where hand held is used there is a stopping agent further down the road which you do not mention.

Could well be that they were carrying out a speed survey to see if a complaint is justified. A function not that they were intended for IMHO.

If you are the Reg Keeper of the vehicle you were driving count 15 days from time and date and nothing in the post breathe easy.

DVD

DVD
A Present For Me - Points!! - smokie
Could have been ANPR but usually mobile patrols further along the road to catch the suspects.

Yesterday I went past an unusual one. In a concealed entrance on my offside, facing me, there was a HUGE brown box on a tripod, pointing my way. Behind it there was a contractors van complete with bloke in fluorescent jacket milling round outside. maybe it was doing something automatically, or maybe he was bored...I hope I never find out!
They're the new military tracking systems for the war games smokie.

Expect to see a company of Chieftan tanks in a staggered wedge outside your house very soon.

;-)
--
Adam
A Present For Me - Points!! - Altea Ego
Adam, that car of yours is so damn ugly it would shatter any camera lens - you are safe.
A Present For Me - Points!! - frostbite
Besides, hearing aid beige doesn't register on digital cameras.....
A Present For Me - Points!! - jbyron
Can I assume you didn't get anything in the post?

Merseyside is getting worse, remember may 19th?!
Nope - I still haven't received anything.

I've been talking to a few people and apparently, I should have got a warning letter so obviously Merseyside are doing that now. I can only presume that upon seeing the day-glo jackets, I slowed down fast enough before they could get a reading.

Lucky escape eh?

Thanks to everyone for all of your help.
--
Adam
A Present For Me - Points!! - v8man
Well Adski - commiserations on your situation. I've been having
discussions with our local police and it appears that they are
keen to extend the use of mobile speed traps to non-traffic
officers and others, possibly CSO's in order to make up for
the fact that the traffic section are seriously overworked and under-resourced.
If this is the case you may well have been
nabbed by them.
In any event see it as a learning experience and be
philosphical. Failing that, become a premier leagure footballer, earn £££££'s
pw and then fight the case on legal aid. :)
Best wishes.

Or become a police officer and say you were familiarising your self with your car.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
M6 Toll Speed Cameras - volvos60T5SE
i have heard a rumour that the police cannot put up speed cameras on the M6 toll road. Isthis just an urban myth or is there some truth in it? anyone know about this stuff? thanks
M6 Toll Speed Cameras - Armitage Shanks {p}
Well it is public road, you have to be licenced, taxed and insured to use it so I guess the police have juristiction over it and can do what they like including operating cameras - even driving at 140 mph+!
M6 Toll Speed Cameras - Dynamic Dave
Already been explained by DVD in at least one of the previous speeding related threads.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=25...3

ps, this hardly warrants being asked in Technical matters, so kick ---> , over to the current speed camera thread you go.
Behind You!! - tobyn
last week i was driving north on the M1 at 9pm. fairly quiet and last car in a group of 4 (having being overtaken by 2 of them going a fair bit faster than me)

on a downhill stretch looked in my mirror to see a traffic car 150-200m behind. he hadn't been there 5 seconds before and was gaining pretty quickly. i looked at speedo and was doing 90 slowed down thinking he would do me but he sailed on by me and the others. he then pulled off next junction 5 mins later.

i know i was over the limit and if i'm done i'm done and wont complain.

however to help the next 2 weeks go by a little more easily i would be interested to hear of anyone who has been in a similar position.

is not being stopped a good indicator or does it mean nothing?
Behind You!! - smokie
Hope I'm right in saying there is ZERO chance of you getting a ticket. Other than fixed or movable speed camera set ups, I'm pretty sure that *all* speeding tickets have to be issued on the spot.
Behind You!! - Dwight Van Driver
If he was clocking you or Vascar then he would have pulled and done the business. No need for NOIP or 172 name and shame. Much easier.

I doubt very much you will be getting a letter withgin 14 days.

Looks as if he had another job on.

DVD
Servicing a Gatso - WhiteTruckMan
Last week on my way to work I passed a gatso camera that appeared to be having some work done. maybe refilling with film, maybe something else. truly dont know. what caught my attention was that the guy doing it was in civvies with a hi-viz jacket, but no markings on. furthermore, he was in a local council van-yellow, clearly marked as such, and having yellow flashing lamps on top. this got me thinking that when changing film (assuming thats what he was doing) shouldnt it be done by a police officer? something about preserving the chain of evidence? or have things changed?

WTM
Servicing a Gatso - Hugo {P}
I've seen this in Plymouth.

It seems that this may be delegated to police employed civilians to keep bobbies on the beat. Personally I'm with the principle of freeing up police officers to patrol the beat, so if we have to keep these cameras let's not involve more police time than we have to.

This is going to the speed camera thread in a jiffy.

H
Servicing a Gatso - VTiredeyes
saw a job doing this on my email

Our client is at the forefront of integrated electronics and engineering and has a wealth of experience to offer within the Speed Enforcement Systems sector. The companies fundamental objective is to become the world's leading provider of traffic enforcement equipment. The company's core business consists of the development, research / production and installation of digital light camera systems, for registration of speed and red light offences.
They are currently looking to recruit an ambitious Installation Engineer. You will have Electronic experience or be technically minded, to join the Installation Team.
You must be the type of person who can think on their feet, as there can be problems on the street that you will have to diagnose and fix. You will be smart and presentable with good communication skills and able to interact with all levels of personnel. The position requires someone with a clean driving licence and who is able to travel, as it is hoped that in the future you will be suitable to run training courses overseas and overseeing projects both UK and abroad.
Someone with relevant experience in traffic management would be viewed advantageously but this is not essential. Your remuneration will consist of a very competitive salary with company benefits.
For more information please apply with your CV on line
Servicing a Gatso - Orson {P}
Judging by Lincolnshire standards, servicing a GATSO seems to involve putting a tyre filled with 4 star over the top...

O
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Digital Speed Cameras - Peter D
Far to smart

www.redspeed-int.com/en/products_redspeed.htm

Regards

Peter
Time to be a spoilsport - Welliesorter
The posts on youths stealing a speed van's number plate in order to cause it to issue itself with a speeding ticket turn out to be a hoax.

See www.snopes.com/autos/law/snaptrap.asp
SPECS M6 J15/16 - Bromptonaut
Anyone else noticed SPECS cameras going in on the M6, both sides, between junctions 15 and 16. Seem to be connected with major works and associated 40 limit. Will catch them like flies!
Speed Camera Dynamics - Dave E
Trundled to work on the M60 near Sale this morning with the cruise set to 40mph. Just as I passed the first camera, a Scenic whistled past at I estimate 60mph, naturally triggering the camera. Now, I will obviously be in the same shot. How do the powers that be split me, driving within the limits, from the other driver?
Speed Camera Dynamics - cheddar
Simple, you will not have travelled so far in the time between the two images that the camera captures.
Speed Camera Dynamics - rtj70
Gatso or Truvello safety cameras, as on the M60, will take two pictures of a speeding vehicle. The distance travelled between the two pictures will allow the police to calculate the vehicle's speed. They white lines on the road assist with this.

In your case, the Scenic will have moved a lot further between the two photos being taken than your vehicle. So if you were doing 40mph or less, there's nothing to worry about.

See those idiots on the M60 all the time. They must think/assume there's no camera or film in the units.
Speed Camera Dynamics - Badger
Or the car has false plates or is stolen.
Speed Camera Dynamics - daveyjp
Happened to a driver who was overtaking me in the roadworks near Birch services - obviously blind to all the signs. I was in the picture when it went off and I've received nothing (not that I expected to) - this was 3 weeks ago.
Speed Camera Dynamics - cheddar
Thanks to rtj70 for clearing explaining the point I made in my initial reply to Dave E.
Speed Camera Dynamics - rtj70
Think we wrote our replies at the same time. But I got distracted at work before hitting the post button.
Speed Camera Dynamics - Dynamic Dave
The white lines on the road assist with this.

Each of those lines represents 5 mph. So, for example, if there are 8 lines between the first and second photo, that would indicate a speed of 40 mph.
Speed Camera Dynamics - BrianW
I've had this several times in london and have never heard anything.
Speed Camera Dynamics - Mattster
If you play it carefully, you can be the Scenic whistling through - you time it so that your rear numberplate is hidden by the slower vehicle as the camera goes off!
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
Speed Camera Dynamics - sir_hiss
If you play it carefully, you can be the Scenic whistling
through - you time it so that your rear numberplate is
hidden by the slower vehicle as the camera goes off!
--
Mattster

My favourite is "speed camera tag", works best with tourists, light traffice flow and fixed sites at night on a motorway. Rules are simple, you know where the camera and you hope they don't :)
Burned out Cameras - helicopter
I was travelling home last week down the A217 in Surrey. I remembered that there was a speed camera site nearby and slowed down accordingly only to see that said camera was a blackened burnt out box.

I have only ever seen one other vandalised Gatso and that was not too far away ( around 2 miles ) from this one.It had been chopped off its post with bolt croppers or the like.

Now I consider myself a law abiding character and so I got to wondering whether I would report to the police if I saw anyone that was vandalising a speed camera .I came to the conclusion that I would probably not...

What is the situation like in your part of the UK for these sort of revenge attacks on Cameras?.What would you do if you saw one being damaged?

Honestly now.

Burned out Cameras - local yokel
Do you ring the taxman after you've paid the window cleaner in cash "just to make sure" he declares all his takings?

No, neither do I, so why should I worry when another taxation scheme is stopped, albeit temporarily. That's all they are, after all. Close by here there have been five killed on one short stretch of road. The speed camera nearest to it is 4 miles away, on a far busier, but much safer (no fatals) stretch.
Burned out Cameras - BrianW
I think I'd stop and ask them if they'd got everything they needed.
Burned out Cameras - daveyjp
Last time I travelled between Wakefield and Barnsley there were a couple of burnt cameras. They have just erected some new ones in Bradford and all have had their lenses sprayed with black paint.
Burned out Cameras - somebody
That all sounds like good news to me. So not everybody in the UK likes to just take whatever the Govt. dishes out. Best of luck to them!
Burned out Cameras - v0n
Speed camera is a sniper outpost of your enemy. Reporting shut down outpost for replacement equals treason and colaboration with enemy...
Burned out Cameras - turbo11
I assume the camera had flashed somebody who didn't want more? points on their licence.Last year a gatso camera near me,was cut down at night with an angle grinder.
I certainly would not report it.In fact i would watch,whilst laughing my nuts off!.
Burned out Cameras - BrianW
Anyone know what a replacement camera costs?

The damaged ones I've seen are:
One that had simply had it's head rotated so it was clocking the birds in someone's garden.
One that had chewing gum applied to the lock, so it couldn't be opened to get the film out.
One that had been pulled over completely so it was looking at the sky.
Burned out Cameras - frostbite
"One that had been pulled over completely so it was looking at the sky."

I find that inspiring - there's one on the flight path near my local airport!
Burned out Cameras - Cliff Pope
I suppose the kindest thing would just be to put a black hood over it.
Burned out Cameras - vwdriver
I think they cost about £30k inluding installation and road markings. All highway things seem to cost loads, I noticed the council marking slow across the road and red strips at the entrance to my local town and then later read in the local newspaper that £60k had been spent!
Burned out Cameras - volvoman
I'd report any criminal damage being done, including speed cameras. I have little sympathy when it comes to serious speeding and I'm sorry but it's a very slippery slope when people decide to pick and choose the laws they obey/disobey. If it's OK for a serial speeder to destroy a camera in the middle of the night is it OK for me to destroy his/her car in the small hours?
Burned out Cameras - reevsie
I would definately turn a blind eye, every time i see one burned out I always snigger a little.
Burned out Cameras - Mapmaker
I am with Volvoman.

What do you think happens after a speed camera is burned down? Well, the Highways Agency (or whoever) have to replace it. So it costs the taxpayer.

So we all pay.

Great.

That's why I'd call the police. Remember, people who are prepared to take the law into their own hands on that sort of scale are not nice people! They deserve to rot in gaol.
Burned out Cameras - barchettaman
There is no need to burn them out/pull them over with a tractor etc etc. Loctite in the keyhole and spraypaint on all the lenses renders them impotent at reduced cost to the council (and, therefore, the British motorist). All the ones I´ve seen out here in Frankfurt have been spraypainted over the lenses, but thankfully they are few and far between and you need to be going ridiculously fast to get anything more than a ?40 fine. As SWMBO is proving on a monthly basis...
Burned out Cameras - Mattster
Yes, but most forms of protest, legitimate or otherwise, cost the taxpayer money. Fathers for justice costs us money in police time. Even legal organised demonstrations cost money in needing to be policed.

We need to retain our right to protest. And besides, £30,000 for a new scamera is a drop in the ocean when a few road markings cost the same, and total public expenditure is around £400bn = £400,000,000,000.
--
Mattster
Burned out Cameras - madf
Speed cameras will sooon be outdated by satnav recording your location for road pricing.. ostensibly. Actually it's a case of Big Brother controlling everything..

I'm not joking. Once satnav road pricing is installed, easy to set it up to detect speeding...

madf

Burned out Cameras - IanJohnson
The billion in general use is 1 thousand million (US) rather than the older literal english version of 1 million million so three too many noughts!
Burned out Cameras - reevsie
When the gov stop using cameras as a cash cow, i'll change my mind!!!
New SPECS on A14 - frostbite
For the benefit of anyone using the A14:-

There is a new SPECS setup in the area of the roadworks Orwell Bridge.
New SPECS on A14 - IanJohnson
Not seen one before but may be old hat.

White van sat well off the A5 near Weeford Island, gent in hi-viz jacket sat on verge away from van with VDU, camera a few feet away on 15ft pole! You don't see the van until it is too late.

Anything that makes them less visible is fine with me.
M4 (wiltshire) speed camera update - Roly93
I just wanted to post an observatuion of mine now we are a couple of months into the deployment of the revenue generating speed cameras on the M4 Wilts stretch.

As I stated in a previous thread, I have been using this road on average at least once a week for the last 7 years, and as I also stated previously, it is also (contrary to what the Wilts speed camera people say) the safest piece of motorway I know.

However, I have noticed a different and worrying trend in the style of driving since the cameras/signs were announced and deployed. Namely all of the traffic now seems 'bunched-up' almost all travelling at exactly 80 mph, probably cruise control assisted, but worst of all I would say that tailgating is WORSE than it ever was before, as is lane discipline. Basically what you now seem to have is a LUMP of traffic all very close together and all travelling at the same-ish speed.

I now find that driving safely at lower speeds than I did before is actually more intensive than in the past, and I find that my 92 mile journey is now much more tiring than before. Given what I have said so far, I would have a bet with someone that there will be more tailgating-related accidents on this stretch now, so all that remains to be said is WELL DONE WILTS SPEED CAMERA PARNERSHIP, and I hope you are reading.
M4 (wiltshire) speed camera update - JohnM{P}
My observation also; I travel through there probably 4 times a week. Contrary to the Camera Partnership's comments in the local press, I have also noticed far more tailgating (though (by my speedo) at 75mph). I didn't use to belt along before this, so I am not travelling at slower speeds than before, but it is more difficult to drive with good gaps in front and behind you, as it is more difficult to adjust your speed to slot into (fewer)gaps.

I have only seen speed monitoring (by a 'battenberg' on an observation hump) once since the first day - the blanket publicity certainly has worked...
M4 (wiltshire) speed camera update - smokie
"I have only seen speed monitoring (by a 'battenberg' on an observation hump) once since the first day - the blanket publicity certainly has worked..."

Or maybe you could say the public protest worked...

Somehow I doubt that!
M4 (wiltshire) speed camera update - JohnM{P}
And I also suspect (not so certain on this) that more people in this section are obeying the law that you have to drive whilst holding a mobile to your ear (I must have been out of the country when this law was changed...)
M4 (wiltshire) speed camera update - Obsolete
Roly93: The way to deal with tailgaters is to increase the distance between you and the car in front. Yes people do sometimes move into the gap, but you just drop back a bit. But yes tailgaters is the one thing that does give me the willies, esp. when its a lorry (they usually tailgate) or a large 4x4 (ditto).

When the regime started, I found driving much more relaxing due to the reduced speed differentials and no speedy types harassing me from behind while I overtake. So there was less tail gating.

But I agree with your main argument that motorways are the safest roads and hence attention should be focussed elsewhere. I have never seen a portable speed camera in our local roads. Not enough revenue? But I have seen loads on roads away from houses with wide pavements.

Leif
Cameras On The M42 - DSLRed
Last Night I was travelleing up the M42 at about 9pm, through the Solihull - M6 Link area where they have been working on the road for about 6 years (or so it seems).

As far as I am aware the new cameras above the gantries are variable speed limit cameras, as on the Heathrow stretch of the M25.

Now at 9pm last night the road was quite clear as you'd expect, but still was far from empty. The new gantry signs were showing that lane 1 was closed and lanes 2 and 3 were speed restricted to 50mph, dropping to 40mph. The reason was that workmen were in lane 1, about 2 miles further up the road putting down yet more cones.

But, at the point the signs first started flashing there were no obvious obstructions or hazards and people, as they seem to always do in these circumstances, simply ignored the warnings.

I meanwhile was very conscious of the cameras and was trying to slow down as far as I thought I could in lane 2. The problem was that, with most other traffic bombing along regardless I reckon I was actually the biggest hazard on the road and I was very aware of it. I was stuck between the desire to stay alive and the desire not to pick up a NIP.

God how I hate these situations where you just don't know what the camera situation is - the joys of modern motoring.

Do, can anyone elighten me:-

a. Am I right - are the cameras Variable speed limit enforcers.

b. Are they in operation yet?

c. Here's one to test the highway code anoraks - The matrix signs on the gantries were using standard flashing lights - do these represent enforceable speed limits (in law) or are they advice signs. (tut tut - I know that I should know that). On the M25 the signs show the limits in red circles as they would be displayed on a speed limit road sign.

As usual - thanks in advance.
Cameras On The M42 - David Horn
c) Only valid speed limit sign is one in a red circle. Ie, M25 ones are legal, the matrix signs are advisory.
Cameras On The M42 - jlo
I travel that stretch of road regularly as well.

When there was roadwords there used to be the old Gasto cameras on the side of the motorway. I have noticed the stipes on the road under the new motorway signage but have seen no evidence that I can see that cameras have been fitted yet.

If anyone knows for sure I would like to know.

Many Thanks

Jlo
Cameras On The M42 - DSLRed
What used to amaze me is the number of people that actually got caught by the Gatso's.

I travel through the area on business quite regularly and the whole area was very well signposted - there was absolutely no doubt that cameras were very much in operation along the whole stretch.

Even so, it was a rare occurance that I would go through the whole stretch without seeing one of the cameras take a nice snap. Sometimes people deserve what they get.
Cameras On The M42 - Thommo
Thought the same in the M25 roadworks at night. Signs everywhere, you can see the cameras but flash flash flash as people blast past me. They can't all be foreigners or running unregistered cars.
Cameras On The M42 and M4 - hcm
I had an identical experience to you on that stretch 3 weeks ago. I chose to keep my speed up to stop the nissan carrying a family of 23, (or so it seemed), from ramming me from behind, while dad chatted to his wife in the back. I went past a 40 sign doing 65ish and didn't receive anything in the post.

On the m4 tonight I spotted a traffic cop knelt by his car with a hand held speed detector pointing at cars heading towards him. I presume that it was that, i.e. just a detector and not some clever digital camera? No tripod and the size of a video camera..
Cameras On The M42 and M4 - Adam {P}
I suspect he'd have pulled you over if you'd have been speeding.
--
Adam
Cameras On The M42 and M4 - daveyjp
That's why the new speed cameras in Bradford were lying on their sies this morning!

Wreckers in a stolen 4x4 launched an all-out attack on a group of speed cameras early today.

The stolen Toyota 4x4 was rammed into the posts carrying the cameras in an attempt to knock them over.

In more than one case the attempt succeeded!
Cameras On The M42 and M4 - Obsolete
That's why the new speed cameras in Bradford were lying on
their sies this morning!
Wreckers in a stolen 4x4 launched an all-out attack on a
group of speed cameras early today.
The stolen Toyota 4x4 was rammed into the posts carrying the
cameras in an attempt to knock them over.
In more than one case the attempt succeeded!

Do people who oppose speed cameras really want to be associated with such criminals?

Leif
Cameras On The M42 and M4 - Thommo
I DO!

By any means necessary.

Virtually every single member of the current government has been involved in illegal activities in support of causes they believed in including trying to bring down a democratically elected governmnet, so why not us?
Good heavens. And if your relatives/friends were involved in a collision with a stolen and hence uninsured 4x4 and injured and the 4x4 drove off at speed rather than wait around and get nicked for theft etc. Sorry but that is disgraceful. If that's what you think then you are at the level of joy riders etc.

Leif
Cameras On The M42 and M4 - Ex-Moderator
Do you suppose that criminals who steal somebody's 4x4 and destroy these cameras are going to have any affect other than confirm in the mind of the "speed is bad" people that all anti-camera campaigners are rabid, criminal nutters ?
Cameras On The M42 and M4 - nortones2
Thommo: do you have proof for that extraordinary, sweeping statement about the sedition and criminal tendency of MPs? For example convictions. Or is it wishful thinking, to allow you to excuse real criminality?
Nortones,

I feel Mark will stop us going too far on this and rightly so as this is a motoring forum but if you examine the records of the current Labour MP's you will find that in previous times they took part in illegal actions including violent protests and secondary picketing and recieved conviction for the same including playing a part in the Miners Strike of 1984/5 which was a blatent attempt by the Labour movement to take down the Thatcher government, as they had taken down the Heath government.

Pulling down tax cameras is to me an equally valid form of protest. I find it hard to believe that joyriders would steal a 4X4 (not fast enough) to pull down cameras (not joyriding hard work). I suspect some protestors borrowed a friends car who reported in stolen just in case it was spotted and went to work.

Keep off the miners strike and continue to discuss the pulling down of speed cameras and you'll get no issue from me.
Cameras On The M42 and M4 - Altea Ego
The UK population has a very poor record of civil disobedience by the majority.

Now the French population on the other hand are quite happy with the skill.
Given that, how have the French taken to speed cameras? Tales of vandalism there?
Mark,

Was only proving up my point.

Renault,

The French are a wonder sometimes. I understand that in Paris you park anywhere, collect tickets like confetti and then EVERY prededential candidate includes in his manifesto a promise to cancel all tickets issued to date. Which then happened. I understand they once had a car pound in Paris and towed cars to it and within a few days of opening the car owners gathered en mass and burned it to the ground.

Leif,

So the 4X4 drivers have now mown down pedestrians have they? How about, leaving the site of criminal damage they come upon a car crashed into a bush, inside is a pregenant woman, cut badly and bleeding out, she can not be removed from the car as both sides are stuck fast. They use the 4X4 to pull the car back 10 feet and the ambulance crew get her out and save her life. My point? We can all invent scenarios of what might have happened but could we stick to the facts? We are talking about criminal damage no more.

Got 10 hours work to do, must get off the internet...
Cameras On The M42 and M4 - BrianW
Which of us has not had a "cash job" done or taken cash for a job and "forgotten" to declare it on their tax return?

Government is a contract between the goverors and the governed, based on reasonable behaviour on both sides.

Fixed speed cameras have a sphere of influence of less than 100 yards each; death statistics are static, despite the erection of around 4,000 cameras and the conviction of two million people a year; the best the government can come up with is an estimate that cameras are saving 100 lives a year, a rabbit pulled out of the hat, if ever I saw one.

Many feel that the government has broken its side of the bargain: to install cameras at proven accident blackspots only.

I pass around 14 cameras on the way to and from work and at best 3 could be described as protecting a vulnerable area, the others are merely a distraction which can have no other purpose than raising revenue.
Sorry Thommo but there is no comparison between secondary picketing, or demonstrating in front of an embassy, and the committing of crimes such as car theft. Those that steal cars, consequently drive them without insurance, and then destroy speed cameras are IMO no more than common criminals and should be locked up.

Those people who whilst picketing/protesting also intimidate and/or threaten and/or injure others, as happened with the picketing of UK petrol depots during the fuel protests, are also common criminals IMO.

Anyway, IMO these violent criminals are doing the government a favour as it allows the authorities and speed camera partnerships to portray their opponents as no more low life. Hence they can ignore the fact that many decent people also oppose speed cameras. The way to get rid of speed cameras is by peaceful methods such as lobbying MPs, organising demos, and via the ballot box.

Leif
>>these violent criminals are doing the government a favour as it allows the authorities and speed camera partnerships to portray their opponents as no more low life. Hence they can ignore the fact that many decent people also oppose speed cameras.

Exactly. Because they don't have the brains to work out that its a PR and political battle - not a physical beat up the cameras battle.
And people who throw concrete blocks off motorway bridges on to taxis?

There is no political process as all three main parties are for or rather not declaredly against tax cameras.

The PR battle will never be won by reason as the shroud waivers in the anti-car lobby have the predominantly Left wing media and hysterical (in all sense of the word) BBC firmly on side.

Sometimes direct action is all that is left.
Cameras On The M42 and M4 - nortones2
I don't accept Thommo's premise re a significant number of MPs having criminal records as a result of illegal actions in the miners strike, never mind members of the Government, but will leave it there. As for the political process, the need for speed control is beyond argument. Left to a laissez faire arrangement, many drivers do not respect the residents of areas through which they travel, hence the need to reduce speeds, especially on urban and rural roads. The Partnerships are able to show a considerable demand for control measures from the grass-roots residents of their operational areas, and they are unable to meet these demands. If you don't want speed control lobby in the political arena: the Partnership are part of the political process. Merely demonisng them and casting aspersions on their motives and abilities makes you guilty of underestimating your opponent. As for lack of alternatives to direct action: hysterical nonsense.
I'm far from convinced that the current emphasis on speed cameras is the solution to a very real problem. However, coming back from the 'offy' this evening, I was gob smacked by a car doing at least 50mph on the local road (residential area) where the 30mph limit is excessive. Quite simply this driver is a maniac with no respect for human life and I am sure that he will kill or seriously injure some innocent person(s). This is not a rare example either, and several colleagues at work are almost as bad. I would welcome speed cameras where I live. Unfortunately they would not earn enough revenue, and so we will get speed humps which I loathe.

As an aside, someone who used to work in the same company as me set up a well known anti-speed camera website. On his web site he describes himself as an expert driver. Today I heard an illuminating story. Colleagues were off to a customer site and several people including this person were driving. All the cars were full except his which had no passengers: in fact there was a rush to get a lift in a car other than his. I've heard his driving described by numerous people as a 'white knuckle ride'. Numerous people have told me this which makes me think that his driving really is frightening.

Leif
dodgy driver? - teabelly
I'm intrigued. Which anti camera site owner is it? If it's captain gatso I could well understand as he strikes me as a bit of a chump. If whoever he is a white knuckle ride then how many accidents has he had?

Part of the problem is that cameras are often placed on big wide roads to catch lots of the unwary. If people assume that cameras are in blackspots where they need to slow down then anywhere without a camera that isn't a big wide road gets raced along. If you're going to use fixed cameras then they must be places where it is dangerous to exceed the limit ie narrow residential streets. The speed activated signs to a better job though as the feedback to the driver is instant rather than delayed by up to 2 weeks.

Drivers must slow down when necessary but current speed kills simplicity is failing to say that and people are just sticking to the limit more but failing to slow down when they actually need to.
teabelly
dodgy driver? - Thommo
Leif,

Please advise alternates to direct action.

Their effectiveness to date.

Your HONEST assessment of how effective they will be in the future.
dodgy driver? - Obsolete
Teabelly: I'd rather not mention who it is for various reasons.

I can't tell you how many accidents he has had. He habitually drives on the edge, not allowing for mistakes by others or himself.

One problem I have with the current speed camera policy is that it is based on funding by fines and hence speed cameras will only go where traffic is high and speeding is common. Speeding is not common and traffic is light on our local roads and yet IMO the danger is high, as far as pedstrians and cyclists are concerned. I believe that local roads are statistically dangerous compared to e.g. A roads. I would love the local police to from time to time set up mobile speed traps and catch dangerous idiots like the one I referred to. The fact that they don't might be due to lack of resources, or a good reason, though I suspect that it would be worthwhile.

Hope you don't mind but I won't comment on the other points, as I'd just be repeating what has already been discussed so many times.

Leif
dodgy driver? - teabelly
I think we've all discussed the same points quite a few times in these speeding related threads :-)

We have the same problem around here. The roads are often double parked but people still drive down them at 30 oblivious of the fact that when you're on a single track you have to be able to stop in half the distance you know to be clear as you have to allow for someone coming from the other way doing the same speed as you.

Traps can only be set in places where speeding is common, ditto fixed cameras so yet again you end up in places where it is safer to exceed the limit than in other places.

The locals are the worst. There are a few that seem to belt down the road and are making a noise in 3rd or 4th gear by the time the road opens out which is a fair old whack. If even the road were nsl it still wouldn't be sensible to go as quickly as they do unless they have the stopping distance of wasp.

teabelly
dodgy driver? - Brad
With 9 points on my licence (12 mad days in may - 58 in a 50 limit, 38 in a 30 limit and OK 87 in a 70 limit) My habits have changed dramatically.

a) I drive in 3rd gear in town at less than 30 mph. Virtually everything on the road overtakes me. My inforad is always on. It's so easy to lose concentration but another 3 points would kill me.

b) I do 70 or now and again 75 on a motorway. Many cars overtake me. Now and again like on the M69 on monday last I sail past a mobile camera at 70 and feel really smug.

c) I do phenomenal miles per gallon. Its a 130 BHP Passat but I can do 60 mpg without trying.

d) I take trains wherever I can. I could travel from Leeds to cardiff in 3 hours on a sunday night with no traffic but going a little faster than the law says but now I take a train, read a book, do a sudoku and have a snooze and it takes 6 hours.

Life still goes on. It's a harsh lesson but I think I've learned it.