Odometer problem - Badger
The display on my odometer has blanked out, and the problem appears to lie with the speedo head. The only solution is a replacement speedometer.

However, it's an 8-year old car which I intend to 'run into the ground', the speed indication and all other instrumentation is fine, so given the cost of a new speedo I propose to ignore it. I can live without an odometer -- it rarely moves much anyway, now that I'm retired, and service intervals are no problem since I never reach the mileage anyway and service by the calendar.

I wonder, though -- is the odometer an MOT item? The speedometer obviously is, but that's working normally. True, the MOT certificate carries the vehicle's indicated mileage at the time of the test, but can a vehicle be failed for lack of such indication? Since the instrument is not tested at MOT, and anyway the testing station has no idea as to whether the indicated mileage is even true, then I don't see how it can be.
Odometer problem - mfarrow
Neither is part of the MoT, though I know for a fact that the speedo is a legal requirement.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=14061

--------------
Mike Farrow
Thanks for the link, mfarrow but the speedo is not in question, just the odometer.
Odometer problem - Dynamic Dave
Are you sure it's not just the bulb that illuminates it that's gone? What car is it?
Odometer problem - Dwight Van Driver
An odometer on a motor car is not a legal requirement. A speedometer (under certain circs) is and required to maintained in good working order.

Neither item is one which the MOT requires to be inspected.

Stop worrying.

DVD
THanks, DVD. it will be interesting to see what they do with the Mileage entry on the certificate.