CARS OF THE YEAR - Honest John
Come on, guys and girls, I'm not getting enough response here. Please go to the top news item and use the link to make your nominations in the six categories.

HJ
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - Moosh
Is it one man/woman one vote, or can you vote twice?
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - ian (cape town)
HJ,
Much as I'd like to get involved, we still deal in Mark 1 golfs and Fiat uno's here!
New cars (as you would know them) are few and far between! (and out-of-reach to the average bloke)
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - ladas are slow
quite a few new cars in newcastle area, but mostly nissans.
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - Randolph Lee
If some way had been worked out to parse backroom threads then setting a thread topic for each of six categories And letting it run you would get a better response and perhaps a consenses from us all...

Perhaps a posting with the top 5 nominations for all six categories (again one of the categories to a topic) would let us vote in public and defend our picks...

Just a thought and I bet you could find a back Roomer with time on his hands to do the colation of results (LAS springs to mind for some reason (G))

~R
PS I did Vote by email
I agree with you Randolph.

Perhaps you should start the ball rolling on 5th Jan when HJ gives us the results of his poll ?
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - Tomo
I do not see how a real answer can be given to these points. Let us look at my possible entries.

Toad (Supra twin turbo, automatic) can go like stink, yet on the other hand can trundle through traffic like an old pussy cat. He is very comfortable, except when I had a well over six footer in the back (being not too old, he enjoyed it anyway), but how often does a car have more than two in it? Admittedly, a hobby, so -

Not likely to be quoted!

Prudence (Proton GTi) is as good to drive as front drive can be, fits in the miniscule Tesco parking spaces, is found most comfortable by my somewhat handicapped wife and is by no means out of order for four inhabitants. Very functional, and nothing at all against him - except not boring enough, I think.

So, not likely to be quoted either.

Is it all not more than anything a function of current fashion, and even prejudice?

Cheers, Tomo
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - Honest John
Many thanks for a much improved response. Yes, Moosh, both halves of the partnership can vote. Ian in Cape Town please also vote. So far the MINI is leading as CAR OF THE YEAR, but also has the second most votes as WORST CAR OF THE YEAR. How about that, then? It's what happens when you have an honest, open competition. Randolph, sorry, not time to set up your suggestion. It has to be by e-mail via the news link.

HJ
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - Bob H
HJ,

I have voted. However the problem most of us face is that we don't drive that many cars and any vote we cast is inevitabably based on the opinions of motoring journalists like yourself.

The 'Dream Car' category is fine - its rather like the 'who would you most like to spend the night with?' survey run by some tabloid a while ago. On that basis Category 5 might be embarrassing!

Bob H
Agree with you about the 'dream car' category.

But a lot of contributors on this site are invoved in the car trade/servicing. They seem to have experience of many different types of less exotic machinery.

So all the categories except for No 3 would be revelent.
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - alvin booth
Sorry HJ but I think that many of us don't have the experience of driving many cars other than our own so would be difficult to make a fair representation.
Also I'm afraid other prejudices would creep in. For instance I don't like Citroens because the couple of psuedo middle class snobs across the road from me both drive them. (Their brand new one broke down last week)
Sorry about that...... but my opinion would be pretty worthless.
Alvin
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - Marco
The tabloid survey would be a lot more fun
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - Bob H
Moosh,
I agree those in the trade have far more to contribute than those of us who, as Alvin states, only drive our own car.The difficulty is what criteria should we use to judge the best or worst car on the road.

My personal prejudice is against all the 4x4s that are rarely driven off road. They tend to be slow or have huge thirsty engines to make up for their bulk. Their roadholding is poor(ish) and without crumple zones are not as safe as saloons IMHO. So my choice of the worse car would come from these ranks. However I see that Quentin Wilson, who knows far more about cars than I, thinks the £35K-£55K BMW X5 is the 'Car of the Year'. One man's meat is -----

Bob H
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - Randolph Lee
Bob that is why I thought we all should hash out our thoughts for each category In a forum thread...

I try to hire 'interesting' cars for my UK trips... so in the last 3 years I have put more than 2000 miles on each of the cars below (except fo the Smart) as a result i feel I can chat about their point with some justification (And the Range Rover that I drive at home)

For example I drove a Smart car last trip for about 20 miles and thought just about the perfect City car or even the ideal comuter car for breadwinner to drive to the station each day... I allso found no fault inthe M-Benz A-170 I had for over a month FOR WHAT IT IS DESIGNED TO BE Just the same way the Rover 45 I had last year and the MG-F I had last spring were good cars as well... everything was working nothing fell off... good handeling and performance within the limits of each ones design brief... in 1999 I had a M-Benz E-320 and a New Saab 95 turbo while the Benz was a delight in every way so was the Saab at it's price point

That is why an overall best (or worse) winner is hard to come up with...
Should the best be limited to cars who's design is new in the last 18 months?
Should we debate winners in diferent price points and then come to a back room vote for an overall best of show based on how convincing whe have been to each other?

Perhaps by this time next year we can come up with a bit more structured way og voting for this

Happy New Year
~R
Re: CARS OF THE YEAR - G
Cars of the year.

Car of the year - Civic type R - most performance for 16k ever. Mini close second but not enough grunt.

Sensible Car - 330D beemer - fast - good residuals & econ.

Dream Car - RUF 911 would do.

Used car - a good 98 Impreza for 10k or an A8 if you're a bit portly.

Used banger - a citroen of some sort

Worst car - dunno, hope I don't find out.