Replacement windscreen/insurance - arnold2
Question - how good does a replacement windscreen done under insurance have to be ?

I ask because I recently had the screen on my New Beetle replaced after a nasty crack, and I have just noticed, not having driven it since the replacement, and large optical distortion about half-way down, which was not there before. Although you can see out of it, anything mid-way goes all big/small. Presumably the replacement has to be of the same quality ?
Replacement windscreen/insurance - Chris M
There's been discussion here recently over whether an OEM or patent part is acceptable. If you're not happy call the windscreen company back and point out what's wrong. If they are one of the national outfits, you shouldn't have any problems. If they don't play ball then a call to your insurance company, assuming you have used the company they recommend, should get things resolved. If the glass is causing distortions,there are safety issues and that can't be right.

Chris M
Replacement windscreen/insurance - RoadDevil
You're entitled to insist on the manufacturers part being ordered through the dealer. Replacement glass comes in three different types.

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer - The manufacturers sourced part.

OES - Original Equpment Supplier - Made by the the OEM manufacturer but not supplied via the car manufacturer, should be the same as OEM except no car manufacturers logo in the info within the glass.

Pattern - Who knows? Could have come from anywhere.

Stick to OEM or OES. If you insist on OEM no one will be able to tell it's not the original screen as it will have the manufacturere logo.

It sounds like you've got pattern.