MGTF auction values - Blue {P}
OK, I saw the auction report the other day of the MGTF for under £6K and it's left me wondering whether an MGTF would actually be a good buy at the moment or not.

I'm sorely tempted with one, because I've always wanted one, NOT because the company has folded and I think I can get a bargain.

Unfortunately I don't really want to buy one if I think it's value is going to continue to plummet. I'd be interested to hear any informed opinions on what might happen to the used values of these cars, as the only way that I can afford to get one really is if I know it isn't going to depreciate too steeply as I would probably need to change it for a sensible car in a year or two.

I've kept a close eye on their values for a good few months now and it seems that if I bought a 51 or 02 reg they seem to be holding their values very well, but I'm not sure how this will be affected by the collapse of MG?

Blue
Thanks HJ, it was that bit of your report that made me think maybe their values won't bomb out totally.

I'm in a situation where I might be able to get a 3 - 4 year old one and al I will have to fund is the depreciation over however long I keep it, I won't be able to afford that though if I think that the depreiation is gonna be masive.

A quick scan of Autotrader has revealed that I would be paying the best part of £8 - £9K for the car, a bit disconcerting when I know that the one at the auction went for less than £6K!

Blue
MGTF auction values - bartycrouch
I suspect that the TF position in the market-place means that owners and dealers aren't panicking.

The TF is the one to go for, with extra development work carried out to try and avoid the Head Gasket Failure problems and the smoother front nose.

Have you driven one Blue? They are a bit odd as you seem to sit very high for a roadster (MG-F) , although they handle OK. I know of a couple of people who prefer this approach as they feel less vulnerable than in a MX-5.

I've only ever had a very brief drive in an MGF, a nice customer at work saw me admiring it and took me out for a spin in it and let me drive it back.

Got to admit I loved the car, it brought a big childish grin to my face. :-)

Maybe they aren't the most refined two seater in the world, and I'm sure they're not as well built as an MX5, but I love 'em and I want one. But only if I have a reasonable prospect of selling it for a fair price after a year or two. If I'd been at the same auction as HJ I would own one by now. ;-)

Blue