Euro iv Emissions on Diesels - Roly93
Can anyone tell me why my car (2004 Audi 1.9TDi) is only Euro iii compliant whereas the new model 1.9 Tdi has exactly the same G/Km figure of 157 but is Euro iv compliant ?
Euro iv Emissions on Diesels - cheddar
The G/Km figure is CO2 where as Euro IV also accounts for particulates the emissions of which must be improved in the Euro IV spec engine. On Some cars/engines that are Euro IV compliant the G/Km figure is actually slightly worse than the Euro III version of the same vehicle accordingly the MPG can be slightly worse too, not to mention Euro IV cars costing more to buy (and, maybe, service due to particulate filters) hence Euro IV really only appeals to co car drivers currently.
Euro iv Emissions on Diesels - Alec
The new model has a particulate filter with associated additive in a container in the spare wheel well.
Rgds
Euro IV Emissions on Diesels - rtj70
EuroIV has nothing to do with CO2 emissions at all. It has everything to do with NOx emissions. To reduce the NOx emissions then I guess some cars have gone for a particulate filter whilst others have gone for tuning engine, hence higher CO2 from tuning. Note a particulate filter can cost £500 for the part alone when it's replaced!!

My Mondeo as a company vehicle saves me a little being EuroIV. I actually hung on with the order until the EuroIV engine was available but it?s only tens of pounds per month saving. If it was a personal vehicle then Euro IV is irrelevant? I get a 3% benefit in kind (BIK) reduction on tax for being Euro IV.

Of course after January 2006, the chancellor will take away the 3% reduction in BIK reduction for new company cars because all diesels (and petrol?) have to be EuroIV compliant by then anyway.

After having a diesel I'd miss the low down torque... And I come from some VAG 1.8T petrols where I enjoyed the torque. So diesel next time anyway... or take money and get own car. Don't need advice because did calculations and company car better this time due to accident and insurance. In a few years... who knows. If I keep getting a 15-20% bonus I could get a Bentley Continental GT!