2.2dCi MPG? - tyre tread
I ahve just booked my Primera (new in Dec 2004) in for its 12K service on 10 May and when I rang up I asked them to take a look at the MPG - guy says "if you're getting over mid 30's you're doing well"!

I told him in no uncertain terms that I would expect mid to high 40's with ease and am getting low 40's on daily 114 mile round trip commute. I used to get over 50 mpg out of my Jazz so I'm hardly heavy footed.

I heard of a throttle sensor problem on these cars - any comments appreciated.

BTW the figures listed are Urban 34.9 Extra Urban 56.5 and Combined 46.3. As most of my commute is A14 out of commuter hours and thefore steady speed 75mph ish I would expect circa 50 MPG.

Before anyone asks, the MPG has been gradually improving but only marginally and last tank driven REALLY gently gave me 45 mpg.

2.2dCi MPG? - Altea Ego
At 12k miles you cant tell. Its a diesel its not run in. At that mileage, at those speeds 45 mpg aint bad. Ignore the listed figures, they are meaningless.
2.2dCi MPG? - El Hacko
at what mileage is a diesel (any) properly run in?
2.2dCi MPG? - Altea Ego
weeeeeeell based on experience with my cars from new, Petrols seem to come in about 10-12k and diesels bout 18-24.

2.2dCi MPG? - JohnM{P}
Hmm - the Nissan is not the most economical diesel (VAGs have that honour).
Look at the road tests on www.dieselcar.com :
their long term test Primera 2.2Di gave 40.7mpg over 6400 miles,
a brief test (not in length of article, from old Diesel Car) of 2.2dCi averaged 44.6mpg
whereas the long term Passat 130TDi gave averaged 46.6mpg over 9800 miles.
2.2dCi MPG? - cheddar
Hmm - the Nissan is not the most economical diesel (VAGs
have that honour).
Look at the road tests on www.dieselcar.com :
their long term test Primera 2.2Di gave 40.7mpg over 6400 miles,
a brief test (not in length of article, from old Diesel
Car) of 2.2dCi averaged 44.6mpg
whereas the long term Passat 130TDi gave averaged 46.6mpg over 9800
miles.

And the Ford and Ford/PSA diesels? Perhaps you should day VAG HAD that honour!
2.2dCi MPG? - daveyjp
Comibined figure is given at 46 mpg and you say you travel at 70+ for most of your journey and get low 40s mpg. I see no real reason for complaint.
2.2dCi MPG? - Truckosaurus
For the record (if any does a forum search later on), my chipped (199bhp) Volvo S60 2.4 D5 gets an average of 47mpg. And, that's with driving it hard, Full Bore acceleration and 90mph cruising speeds. Perhaps it's the better performance that helps the economy? Just a brief squirt of power to get upto to speed, rather than a slog...
2.2dCi MPG? - Morris Ox
So, that's just under 200bhp, 2.4 litres, five cylinders, 'driving it hard'and 47mpg.

I'd check your fuel computer if I was you because there are a few laws of thermodynamics being torn to shreds there.
2.2dCi MPG? - Truckosaurus
So, that's just under 200bhp, 2.4 litres, five cylinders, 'driving it
hard'and 47mpg.
I'd check your fuel computer if I was you because there
are a few laws of thermodynamics being torn to shreds there.

A few quick sums on the miles driven between fill-ups and fuel put in, seem to confirm the computer mileage claims, but then you have the errors in the odometer and fuel pump guage to worry about too. :-)

I'm as surprised as you at the 'real world' figures I'm getting, hat's off to Ricardo for designing such a cracking engine.
2.2dCi MPG? - JohnM{P}
'And the Ford and Ford/PSA diesels?'
The only online long term test is of a Mondeo 2.0 TDci, which averaged 45.7mpg over 10k miles.

Issue 202 has a test (by the respected John Kendall) of the C5 1.6 HDi - this averaged 44.3mpg, not bad for a big barge! The comparison table showed the following:
C5 combined: 51.4 mpg, test 44.3 mpg
Mondeo 2.0TDCi combined: 48.7 mpg, test 48.7 mpg
Passat TDi 130 combined: 49.6 mpg, test 50.4 mpg

In the 'old days', when Diesel Car tests meticulously calculated actual fuel consumption (and I had a subscription), if I remember correctly, most cars got worse mpg than the combined figures, but VAG cars usually had the least difference.

The Laguna 1.9dCI test got 41.8 mpg vs combined figure of 51.3mpg. My Sport Tourer averaged 44.9 mpg over 37k miles (driven very carefully), whereas my Passat 110TDi I believe averaged 50 mpg (log was lost when someone borrowed the car...)over 130k, same type of journeys, usually a bit quicker.

I'd be interested in real world figures of the new Focus Estate - a good looking car, but the one I had a brief test drive in was rather noisy (wind and road) at the rear.
2.2dCi MPG? - wantone
people will not like you saying that the vag diesels have the best returns(anti vw on this forum?).
saying that i can thrash the hell out(but dont)of my golf gttdi(2.0)and still struggle to get less than 47mpg.usually get around 52!!
2.2dCi MPG? - Alan
The cars which I have found which come closest in reality to the brocure figures for performance and fuel consumption are PSA group.(peugeot and citroen). I think some manufacturers specially prepare their cars which are tested to get the best results and these are unlikely to be matched by a normal car from the production line.
2.2dCi MPG? - Altea Ego
"people will not like you saying that the vag diesels have the best returns (anti vw on this forum?)."

Been around here a while now, and I cant seem to recall anyone complaining about VW PDI owners saying they get good consumption, They all say it so the perception must be that in general the VW PDI's do deliver the goods with respect to fuel consumption and power.

Anti VW on this forum? Not really, unless you consider the stories and experiences debunking the myth that VW make 100% trouble free cars as an Anti VW stance.
2.2dCi MPG? - scott1s
I have the same car and generally love it, but also shared your concerns re the fuel economy. I have now covered 8500 miles and have noticed a slow but steady improvement from low 30's indicated on the computer to high 30's. HOWEVER for a more accurate reading do the old brim the tank, measure etc thing and then judge. Town driving kills the economy stone dead, conversely I have achieved 56mpg out of mine on a cross country blat thought, so it can be made to both perform and sip juice. My hint would be to keep the revs below 2750 for changing up and things should improve. There is still ample torque there to get you moving quickly and turbo lag is pretty non existent anyway.
Also keep a careful eye on the oil level too.