M4 J18 Roadworks - a rant - sir_hiss
Having to drive through this twice a day, I'm getting just a little fed up with drivers who seem to think that the 40 limit does not apply to them. I could't care less if they want to speed through at 50 or 60 but to try and force other motorists to break the limit by aggressivly tailgating, flashing lights etc, is just taking the biscuit. Its made worse as its not always easy to switch lanes at rush hour due to volume of traffic. Unfortunately this sort of behaviour will only stop if they start some regular traffic patrols up and down this stretch.
M4 J18 Roadworks - a rant - cockle {P}
Many of you will remember from previous threads my attitudes to speed restrictions in roadworks and why they are there, safety of the workforce, etc. Like you, sir hiss, I strictly adhere to these restrictions having been on the other side of the fence, literally, and would agree 100% that more patrols would help prevent what is quite simply bullying someone into breaking the law.
However I would suggest that the cameras employed to police speed limits in roadworks are the wrong type, by and large, as they only police a small area resulting in the behaviour you describe and hence an increase in danger to all road users.
Personally, I would like to see SPECS cameras used in roadworks, whereby the average speed through the restriction would be policed, therefore no advantage would be gained by breaking the speed limit as an offender would have to slow at another point within the restriction to avoid a ticket. Hopefully this would help reduce the behaviour you describe.

Cockle
M4 J18 Roadworks - a rant - Altea Ego
Dr Mr M. S. Class driver.

I am realy sorry that traffic in the inner lanes of the M25 road works were obeying the speed limit and traveling at 40 MPH.

I am equally sorry that my indicated 50mph in the overtaking lane was not fast enough for you and the 40 MPH travelers prevented you undertaking me. Its good to see your Zenon lights are nice and bright and your two tone horn makes a lovely sound, tho it gets a little repetitive - Not sure it will make the top 10.

Still 6 miles is not far is it, tho I hope you are feeling ok, you seemed a little red in the face as you passed me when I found a gap to pull over.
M4 J18 Roadworks - a rant - thallium81
Calm down sir hiss, don't let the tailgaiters and flashers rile you, if there is space let them past, give yourself plenty of room in front and enjoy your driving. Most bad and selfish behaviour causes the perpetrators more agro than those they are trying to intimidate.
Totally agree with the SPECS idea. The camera setup on this stretch is a single GATSO in each direction, one just before the J18 entry sliproad and the other about 300 yards before the 40 limit and prior to the start of the contraflow. The GATSO's are in the right places but theres nothing for the 2 miles of contraflow inbetween.
M4 J18 Roadworks - a rant - volvoman
Me too - this sort of thing it happens all the time and is quite unacceptable. I really don't know why so many people seem unable to drive within the limit. Yesterday I saw a guy in a small van driving inches from the tailgate of a young lady learner. They were coming up to the part time 20mph speed limit zone outside a nearby junior school and she had started to slow down from 30mph. He was loudly effing and blinding (passers by could hear everything as his windows were open) and banging his fists on his steering wheel as if he was going to explode! What did he expect her to do? All that stress and fuss for having to drive just a bit slower than usual for about 200metres. The mind boggles.
M4 J18 Roadworks - a rant - Happy Blue!
In the five years it took to carry out bridge repairs to the M6 Thelwall Viaduct they had a 40mph limit policed by SPECS. It really worked. The cameras were clearly identified with orange backgrounds and everyone knew what they were and why they were there.

On the M60, they are now doing road widening works over a four mile stretch with about five Gatsos. One is constantly being hounded as described above. I try to keep to about 43mph. If I find a gap to pull into I do so, if not I don't.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
M4 J18 Roadworks - a rant - Truckersunite
Have to say that I went through them yesterday evening west bound at about 7.30pm, saw a car get flashed by a camera, then on the way back at about 9.30pm saw another car get flashed, with all the publicity recently about this stretch yet cars are still speeding. They should do like they do in the USA, double the penalty for speeding in roadworks 6points and £120 fine as a minimum, that should slow em down.
M4 J18 Roadworks - a rant - cockle {P}
They should do like they do
in the USA, double the penalty for speeding in roadworks 6points
and £120 fine as a minimum, that should slow em down.

>>

I like that, speed twice in roadworks and you have to walk for a while. Might concentrate a few minds a to why the limit is there.
Cockle
M4 J18 Roadworks - a rant - greenhey
A lot of the time as you are netering the roadworks, there are signs to get in lane, then to stay in lane .I wonder if these have any force in law?
Which would mean you would be breaking the law trying to get out of the path of the maniac behind you who wants to do 60 in a 40.