More law affecting motorists - Dwight Van Driver
Just had a quick scan of new Act that received Royal assent 7th April, 2005, namely The Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005.

The bad news in the motoring field:

Some big changes in that PACE condition of arrest has been extended to include any repeat ANY offence (used to be Arrestable).Sect 110.

Using a vehicle on a road with incorrect details on the Register (DVLA)as Registered Keeper - an offence. Section 150

Driving a motor vehicle not only without Insurance but a Driving Licence then Plod is given power to seize.. Sect 152

Power to Plod to fingerprint you without consent if he catches you committing an offence and doesn't think you have given correct details. Sect 117

Vehicle Registration document added to list that have to be produced on demand but can be delayed for 7 days to Police Station Section 151.

The good news is that , of the above, only the fingerprint comes into force on the date of the Act, the rest awaiting a Commencement Order.

All this and more heavy stuff at:

tinyurl.com/agttc

DVD
More law affecting motorists - NowWheels
Even though it's generally known as SOCA, there's a lot in that Act which doesn't seem to have much to do with "Serious Organised Crime".

The stuff on seizing vehicles seems to reflect the old dilemma: how can something be done about all the unregistered vehicles, and unlicensed/unisured drivers without grantting draconian powers which may be used to the disadvantage of law-abiding folk?

It seems to mean that we will all now have to carry driving licence and vehicle docs at all time or risk the car being seized if we give a constable grounds for "reasonable suspicion" that we are miscreants.

That's been the situation in Ireland for a year or so now, and I guess it hasn't been too bad in practice (keep licence in handbag, not too much of a burden), though something chills me about this whole notion of "reasonable suspicion".

"She wasn't speeding, your honour. Very suspicious -- everyone else does it".

"The driver looked just like David Brent, but claimed he wasn't. So I nicked the car ... and the low-loader too"
More law affecting motorists - martint123
Got the car MOT'd yesterday. Was told to bring the V5 with me.
More law affecting motorists - ihpj
Some of these things we could do anyway, just meant it took longer to do (more paperwork) since we had to go about doing them in a 'round about' manner. This just cuts down the preverbial red tape. But it is only right that a Driver who is uninsured/has no licence MUST and SHOULD be prevented from driving any further. 'Bout time that loop hole was closed and Public protected.
More law affecting motorists - Pugugly {P}
"And soon the Police will have to fill out a form every time they stop a person for ANYTHING, be it in street, car, etc."

Not quite true but it makes good copy. They are having to do it now but only when they want to "Stop and Account" or search. They don't have to do it when they stop cars and a HO/RT is issued.