MG Rover abandons warranties - teabelly
Or the administrators have decided there are insufficient funds to cover the cost of reimbursing the dealers. They recommend buying a third party warranty. Someone is going to do a roaring trade as there are around 150,000 people affected. I suppose someone like warranty direct could do a rover/mg specific warranty for a special price to win new customers and positive publicity :-)
teabelly
MG Rover abandons warranties - David Horn
Doesn't the Sale of Goods act hold the dealers responsible for looking after the car anyway?
MG Rover abandons warranties - roverman
Indeed the sale of good act does apply. There'll now be a rush of dealers voluntarily winding up and becoming Dealer 2005 Ltd to avoid liabilities. Just watch!.
You'd have to enforce your rights against the dealer under SOGA but that won't protect you if the dealer goes bust too.
teabelly
MG Rover abandons warranties - Rishab C
There was a stupid woman on the news at some car supermarket - they asked her if she was put off from buying a Rover because they would no longer honour the service etc... She looked puzzled and said, "No not really, there's loads of Rover dealers, so there'll always be somewhere to get parts."

With stupid thick people like that attracted to buy them then they should still sell, but how does someone so thick afford a new car?
MG Rover abandons warranties - Aprilia
With stupid thick people like that attracted to buy them then
they should still sell, but how does someone so thick afford
a new car?

There are plenty of rich but thick people and plenty of poor but intelligent people. Lots of examples of the former in public life, but I won't mention names here!
MG Rover abandons warranties - patently
I wouldn't mind betting that the additional depreciation that happened overnight due to this announcement is far, far more than the cost of a third party warranty.

Which would make it a very good time to buy a nearly new Rover!
MG Rover abandons warranties - cheddar
I wouldn't mind betting that the additional depreciation that happened overnight due to this announcement is far, far more than the cost of a third party warranty.

Agreed
Which would make it a very good time to buy a nearly new Rover!

>>

Not quite so sure, longer term residuals are also going to suffer.
MG Rover abandons warranties - Morris Ox
I wonder how big an issue parts/warranty really is.

There must be an awful lot of generic parts/switches/assemblies under the skin of a Rover as you can buy a lot of sub assemblies off the shelf from some suppliers - ABS, airbag, windows, PAS, instrument packs, engine ancillaries etc.

The difficult area is body parts, chassis platform, drivetrain stuff, but if there are hundreds of thousands of people out there with MGs and Rovers with penty of life in then I'd view that as a big potential market. So it's not difficult to see parts makers/suppliers making offers to the administrators for tools/stamps etc. That or someone importing them from a certain Chinese company that owns the rights...

Warranties - well, worst case scenario is that you've got to buy a third party warranty. And since many Rover dealers will be part of dealer groups, won't theses groups want to find ways of hanging on to valuable service/repair revenue?

MG Rover abandons warranties - machika
There are hundreds of thousands of people with MGs and Rovers. Did they sell that many in recent years?
MG Rover abandons warranties - Morris Ox
Use your loaf - how long have the 200/25, 40045, 75, TF been in production and how many countries have they exported to? Then do the maths.
Use your loaf - how long have the 200/25, 40045, 75,
TF been in production and how many countries have they exported
to? Then do the maths.

If your counting exported models, fair enough (I was referring specifically to the home market). However, are exported cars likely to provide many spares for the home market? In the long term, I suspect spare parts will be a difficult problem.
MG Rover abandons warranties - budu
Well, they sold me an MGf. If as many things go wrong as with mine when it was under warranty, it will costs owners a packet. However, mine never failed to start, never leaked and was a lovely ride.
Parts will become a problem quicker than you think. Not service parts, but the smaller and slow moving items like switches and trim.

Rover operates JIT and parts stocks will be minimal. Some suppliers will go out of business altogether and others will 'move on' and not be interested in producing a few hundred of some low value item each year. Expect difficulties....
As a matter of interest, has anyone got figures for total Rover sales, in the UK, in the last ten years?
MG Rover abandons warranties - Quinny100
Press Release
8 April 2005

MG Rover Situation
XPart seeks to reassure MG Rover customers on parts availability

Desford, UK ? 8 April 2005 ? XPart emphasises that it will continue the partnership with its customers, the MG Rover and Tata (UK & Ireland) Dealer Networks, and assures them, and owners of MG Rover vehicles worldwide, that they will continue to receive the world-class parts and support that they have grown to expect from XPart.

XPart will continue the partnerships with its 800-strong supply base, in providing world-class parts and support to the over 3 million MG Rover vehicles worldwide.

XPart will work pro-actively with MG Rover and those acting on its behalf, to develop the future of the existing MG Rover Parts business from the existing supply base through to the Service Network. The XPart 'All-Makes' Program is unaffected and we look forward to further developing this recent offering.

At this time, there are no plans to alter employment levels as a result of MG Rover?s recent announcement.

X-Part is owned by Caterpillar Logistics Ltd, which also distributes aftermarket parts for Land Rover. For over 12 months MGR have effectively had nothing to do with the supply of aftermarket parts for their cars (and hence sold off another decent revenue stream).

As a separate, presumably solvent company, surely X-Part will seek to protect its own interests and work with suppliers to ensure the availability of parts? I was told by an X-Part employee that all MGR suppliers enter into SLA's to supply parts for 10 years after production ceases.
MG Rover abandons warranties - tyro
As a matter of interest, has anyone got figures for total
Rover sales, in the UK, in the last ten years?

Last 5 years:
2000 103,663
2001 97,202
2002 99,108
2003 95,848
2004 76,768

Perhaps some one will be along in a minute with the previous 5 years.
>> As a matter of interest, has anyone got figures for
total
>> Rover sales, in the UK, in the last ten years?
Last 5 years:
2000 103,663
2001 97,202
2002 99,108
2003 95,848
2004 76,768
Perhaps some one will be along in a minute with the
previous 5 years.

>>

Interesting to see that there was no really big fall until 2004.
MG Rover abandons warranties - WhiteTruckMan
Reminds me of not too long ago when Tiny computers went bump. Granville technology group (AKA Time computers) stepped in and cherry picked what they wanted off the recievers. Essentially, they bought a customer database, a warehouse full of semi-obsolete parts and the rights to the name Tiny.

People who paid a significant amount of money for extended warranties were informed that the money had gone into a black hole, never to be seen again. (roughly, if you were on finance, they would pick up the bill for repairs, but customer was paying carriage. CC, then talk to card issuers, cash & debit card, tough luck matey. we will fix your computer, but you have to pay. and we bought up all the parts, etc. would you like to buy one of our warranties instead?)

Anyhow, the point of this meandering drivel is that the company that stepped in and did pick up (some of) the pieces ended up doing very well, thank you, out of the debacle. All at the cost of the long suffering public. It needn't take a genius to draw some parallels here

WTM
The problem is that a number of suppliers are likely to go out of business or move out of automotive component manufacture altogether. If the part is not manufactured then it can't be supplied.
MG Rover abandons warranties - Rishab C
Warranties aside, I wonder how many parts are shared with BMW and Honda models. some Rovers just look like mid-nineties Hondas. The 75 can have a BMW 320d engine can't it?
MG Rover abandons warranties - mare
Anyhow, the point of this meandering drivel is that the company
that stepped in and did pick up (some of) the pieces
ended up doing very well, thank you, out of the debacle.
All at the cost of the long suffering public. It needn't
take a genius to draw some parallels here
WTM

Some people call that restructuring!
MG Rover abandons warranties - WhiteTruckMan
Some people call that restructuring!

Yeah, but the people who foot the bill call it something else!

WTM
Yeah, but the people who foot the bill call it something
else!

Yes, it's not nice hearing that the company you bought the expensive item from has gone bust, the warranty has evaporated, and you're going to have paying for a new one or pay for repairs.

But the alternative is for there to be no-one in a position to repair your product, and no spares. Restructuring is not fun for anyone but it beats the other options.

(I'm excluding situations involving fraud, here)
MG Rover abandons warranties - Bill Payer
As others have mentioned, in the first instance you can go back to the supplying dealer.
I wonder how the car supermarkets, who must have sold quite a lot of nearly new Rovers, are going to handle this?
MG Rover abandons warranties - Blue {P}
I could be wrong, but aren't supplying dealers only liable for a new car for one year after it is purchased, after which the liability falls onto the manufacturer (if there still is one)?

And used cars it's 6 months isn't it?

Blue
MG Rover abandons warranties - THe Growler
I have followed the Rover saga for a long time from afar with bemused astonishment. With so many good cars available why would anyone in their right mind even look at a Rover let alone consider buying one? The whole story is of a downhill slide that could only (and should) end in oblivion. You'd need your bumps feeling, seems to me. It's not even worth a discussion........
MG Rover abandons warranties - carl_a
I have followed the Rover saga for a long time from
afar with bemused astonishment. With so many good cars available why
would anyone in their right mind even look at a Rover
let alone consider buying one? The whole story is of a
downhill slide that could only (and should) end in oblivion. You'd
need your bumps feeling, seems to me. It's not even worth
a discussion........

I 100% agree with you Growler, but the same could be said about French cars, and look at how many of those they sell.
MG Rover abandons warranties - Chris S
RE: Or the administrators have decided there are insufficient funds to cover the cost of reimbursing the dealers.

Nobody seems to have mentioned it's a slap in the face for everybody who's bought a Rover over the last few years.

Also, if Rover aren't honouring warranties they can't be planning to sell many more cars - who'd buy a car without a warranty?
MG Rover abandons warranties - madf
Well I'm sorry for anyone who has lost their Rover warranty, But anyone who read the papers in the last year should have realisd they were in trouble. So they took a risk . It went wrong.

Caveat emptor.

Like buying a Fiat. The car might stop working or Fiat may go bust.

madf

Also, if Rover aren't honouring warranties they can't be planning to
sell many more cars - who'd buy a car without a
warranty?

As the production lines have stopped, no parts are arriving, and the workforce are at home, I guess that the short term plans of MGR don't include a lot of sales!
MG Rover abandons warranties - SjB {P}
I 100% agree with you Growler, but the same could be said about French cars, and look at how many of those they sell.

Could HAVE been said.
Not any more.
MG Rover abandons warranties - Bill Payer
>>I could be wrong, but aren't supplying dealers only liable for a new car for one year after it is purchased, after which the liability falls onto the manufacturer (if there still is one)?

Where the distinction is made, it's usually the other way around - 1 yr manu w'tee, followed by 2 yrs dealer w'tee.

People get hung up on 'one year' warranty's & guarantees - this is meaningless in law - the item has to be fit for purpose and has to last a reasonable length of time.
Of course this can only be enforced if the supplier is still in business - car dealers go bust or change hands pretty frequently anyway, and I imagine there will be many MGR dealers who were already teetering on the edge.
MG Rover abandons warranties - ProtonGuy
You may be interested in this quote from our local paper the Shropshire Star today...

"The MG Rover crisis claimed its first high-profile victim in Shropshire today as component maker Stadco revealed up to 50 jobs were facing the axe.

Workers at the company's Shrewsbury plant, which makes body parts for several Rover and MG models, have been told that redundancies are looming unless a rescue deal for the British car company comes quickly.

But there was brighter news for Shropshire's Rover car owners today, after Telford and Shrewsbury dealership Furrows promised to honour warranty work for the time being on all the Rover cars it has sold, despite MG Rover refusing to pick up the bill.

Bill Cooper, group sales director at Furrows, said: "Clearly this means a financial commitment from us, and means we cannot take on work for Rover customers who we have not supplied - that would expose us to a potentially massive amount of work."

MG Rover abandons warranties - IanJohnson
>>Indeed the sale of good act does apply. There'll now be a rush of dealers voluntarily winding up and becoming Dealer 2005 Ltd to avoid liabilities. Just watch!.

Only practical for the dealer if he doesn't have many assets - e.g. does he own the property!

How much has a third party warranty for a Rover gone up in the last few days?
Perhaps we should encourage a few people to go around denting rover body panels to generate trade as insurance companies will still have to source panels :-)
teabelly
MG Rover abandons warranties - NowWheels
Perhaps we should encourage a few people to go around denting
rover body panels to generate trade as insurance companies will still
have to source panels :-)

Too late. The young lads round my way have been at work on this plan for quite a while.

They take an equal ops approach to it, tho: they'll bash any make of car :(
MG Rover abandons warranties - blue_haddock
I remember somethin last night on central news about this - think 50 are to go in shrewsbury but i've got a feeling there are quite a few more going at another plant somewhere in the UK.
MG Rover abandons warranties - meditek
No wonder they went bust! Sourcing their components in the UK!