Mitsubishi Evo 8.Sticking rear brakes. - Quinny
My brother-in-law has got a 53 plate Evo 8,bought from new,and went away for a short holiday last week,but before he went,he washed the car,and then parked it up in his garage,after taking it for a short spin,to dry the car,and the brakes out.

He came home today,and the back brakes had locked on,(ala Vauxhall drum brakes.) and will not come off.he says it's done it before,but not this bad.

Is this a common fault with this car,and is it the usual thing,where a fault develops with a vehicle,and the manufacturer keeps schtum?

I have told him to ring Mitsubishi,because the cars still under warranty,and ask them to come and sort it.

Your thoughts please.
Mitsubishi Evo 8.Sticking rear brakes. - Aprilia
Rear brake siezure seems to be quite common on a lot of cars these days. On some of these cars the rear brakes only do about 10-20% of the braking and so the mechanism doesn't really get used (never gets hot or moves that much - discs often go rusty).
I suspect some water got into the mechanism (either the handbrake cables or the brake sliders) and caused a little rust. The pad could also have rusted to the disc a little. Try releasing the brakes and moving the car - it may let go with a 'bang'.
Personally I always take care to lubricate the handbrake cable; check the condition of the little rubber 'boots' covering the cable ends and also lube the cam and spring on top of the caliper. Also take the pads out and lube the pad eges where they slide in the caliper bracket. Mitsi rear disc brakes are a standard design used by numerous other manufacturers and I wouldn't define this problem as a 'design fault' as such.
Mitsubishi Evo 8.Sticking rear brakes. - Rishab C
A lot of Japanese cars seem to suffer from this problem, and the calipers are always made by Mitsubishi, it would seem Mitsubishi have had problems making rear brakes that don't have handbrake mechanisms that seize, I'm surprised they still haven't got it right.
Mitsubishi Evo 8.Sticking rear brakes. - Aprilia
Nah, its the Lucas/TRW Colette 'C'-type caliper, made under licence by someone (don't think Mitsi make their own brakes). Half the world's cars have this type. They sieze through under-use and lack of lubrication.

If you think these are troublesome then wait until the calipers with built-in electric parking brakes start to get old - then you'll have some expense!
Mitsubishi Evo 8.Sticking rear brakes. - SjB {P}
All recent cars that I have owned, both with parking brakes working on the rear pads, and like my current V70, with separate internal drum parking brake, have suffered with this problem.

In fact, I experienced it only today with the V70 which has been garaged since I washed it on Saturday. Even though I left the handbrake 'off' in the garage - for exactly this reason - both rear brakes were rusted 'on'. One popped off easily when load was applied in reverse gear, the other not so. I had to repeatedly rock the car against the force of the brake - with only about 2" in front to play with! - to get it to release with a loud bang!