vw passatt misfire - flogtastic
hello ,i have a passatt 1.8 20v non turbo 1997 adr engine code mileage 72000. full vag history. i foolishly bought the car at auction and since i bought it about 5 months ago the car has been suffering a loss of power/misfire between 2000 and3000 revs. it doesnt always happen but usually by the time its warm ,it starts to play up although it can be rough when cold.
when the car reaches 3000 revs and beyond it runs superb no problem.
ive renewed maf meter,fuel filter, plugs and leads airfilter all to no avail .before replacing maf a friend with vag software plugged into the ecu and the reading was "knock sensor exceeded upper limits" he hadnt seen this before and suggested new maf .no joy ,can anybody throw some light on this as i am going crazy as the car is so lovely otherwise cheers steve
vw passatt misfire - Alec
FWIW: the knock sensor could be bad or have a bad connection or the engine could be pinking. If a high knock-sensor output is detected then the ignition will be retarded and may give you the symptoms you experience.
You can read the knock sensors output (there are two) with the VAG-COM so get your friend back and log the output while you are driving. The sensor itself is bolted on the side of the cylinder block and sometimes responsed to being retorqued.
Rgds
Alec
vw passatt misfire - flogtastic
thanks very much i,ll give it a go!