Megane Tyres - Peter
A lady friend of mine, bought, last August a 53reg Megane with 12K on the clock from an independent dealer. Last week she took it into the Renault main dealer for a service at 14K. They failed the tyres stating they were illegal, I checked them and at best they are only 2.00mm, so they are well worn. The tyres are Continental 205/50/17.

She feels she was conned, as the car has only done town work and with low mileage, the thought that there should be more tread on such low mileage tyres. She being suspicious thinks after she amde the decision to buy the car the tyres were swapped from an older car, as she and her husband feel the tyres they saw had more tread but after eight months she cannot be certain.

However, do the BR's think she has a complaint, do Megane tyres wear that quick and what should she do. Write to the Dealer and or Trading Standards?

Thank you.
Megane Tyres - SjB {P}
No idea of legal standing, but town work tends to be the fastest way to wear tyres out.

Left, right, stop, start (repeat).
Megane Tyres - DavidHM
Lots of discussion on some sites about excessive tyre wear on the Mégane, and a friend had a complete set of Contis (I think) on a 53 plate Clio replaced with P6000s under warranty at around 13k miles because of excessive, premature wear.
Megane Tyres - ihpj
There are some VERY WELL KNOWN issues surrounding excessive tyre wear on the Ren-no Meganne and Scenic models. There is another Car Website which has reams and reams of their Forum dedicated not only to this but the other problems and issues surrounding these cars - you should take a look at it as what they have to say there will be of immensse benefit to your friend, both in terms of time and money.

I'm not sure if I can mention other companies here, but the name is exactly the same as Lady Penelope's Chauffer in Thunderbirds.

Do take the time to read through those forums!
Megane Tyres - cheddar
14k would not be considered unusually early for the front tyres to wear on a front drive car however they can last 30k plus. Wife's 1.6 Clio has nearly done for it's 2nd set of fronts (Firestones) in 12k, the first set (Michelins) lasted 18k, neighbours Megane 1.6 has lots of tread left after 18k.

Wheel alignment (tracking) could be a factor.

Reckon no chance of come back on the dealer. Also can't believe a dealer selling nearly new £10k plus cars would swop wheels around between car after a deal had been done, too easy to be caught out.