Peugeot 205 Gentry 1.9 GTi (Auto) - ihpj
I know that a manual PUG 205 1.9 GTi throws out some 130BHP. A 'genuine' 1.9 GTi with an atuo box (and with A/C) churns out some 120BHP while my own 'Gentry' churns out a mere 105BHP.

Does anyone know what the BHP is for a 1.9 GTi that has a CAT fitted?

You see, from what I can gather, my Gentry and the manual GTi have the same engine and even accounting for a slight drop in BHP due to the CAT to say 120BHP - I'm wondering how I might be able to increase the BHP/torque to my car?

I've spoken to Superchips in Aylesbury and they can only promise a +5BHP increase for an outlay of £235+ - which doesn't make it worthwhile.

I wanted to know if there is some other way I could eek out more power from my car without having to replace the engine or throw money at it since the only limiting factor to my mind might be the ECU. So my question is:

* Can I simply 'swap out' my ECU for one from a manual 1.9 GTi and expect my car to have increase performance?
* Is there a limiter or something in my car that I could remove so that the engine could run to its fuller potential?
* Would removing the CAT give any greater increase? If so any ideas of cost and where I should go?

Thoughts/advice appreciated, as ever.

Many thanks.
Peugeot 205 Gentry 1.9 GTi (Auto) - Andrew-T
I think it unlikely that the Gentry auto uses the GTi engine. I no longer have a 205 handbook, but the Haynes manual lists 3 versions of the XU9J (1.9litre) engine, the main difference being compression ratio. If you can identify the engine code from the model data in a Pug handbook, it is easy.

The XU9JA (D6B) engine had a c/r of 9.6:1 giving 128bhp @ 6000; the XU9JA/Z (DKZ) had a cat, a c/r of 9.2 and 122bhp, while the XU9J1/Z (DFZ) had a c/r of 8.4 giving 102bhp. I would bet that the Gentry had the last of the three, and probably lighter moving parts such as con-rods, so uprating it assuming it is a GTi engine may not be too clever.
.. and you could Google "peugeot 205 gentry" which throws up a few interesting pages, some with Translate function. One says the BHP is 105@6000.
From what I can gather, the Gentry was more of a model for the Continent, rather than the UK. We got some, a total of about 400, but the ones on the Continent are slightly different to their UK counterparts. Kinda like the 'Griffe' (French for 'Claw') edition that was released over there only.

But thanks for the pointer - I'll check the compression ratios etc. and do more poking around to see what engine I have and post my results here.

Thanks so far...
Looks like I have the 'lower' powered 1.9 engine. I didn't twig the fact that mine might have a lower compression ratio :)

I think I'll then leave my ECU and engine as they are - working just fine and without bother ;)

Thanks for the input Chap.
If you want a definite check on your engine type, the 205 used to carry a small (4x3 cm) metal plate riveted to the forward side of the engine block, showing the engine code (e.g.DFZ). Have a look for that.
If you want a definite check on your engine type, the
205 used to carry a small (4x3 cm) metal plate riveted
to the forward side of the engine block, showing the engine
code (e.g.DFZ). Have a look for that.

Spot on man, found the plate easily and it says 'DFZ' with the engine # stamped onto the block. This then gives me a XU9J1 style of engine with the 8.4:1 compression ratio. given all this I'll nae tinker with it and leave it be. Many thanks for your advice.
Glad to be of help, ihpj. I don't know a lot about cars, but I know lots of useless things about 205s ...