noisy handbrake - audi 1.8T - Dave Andrews
when i get in or out the car the brakes on the back make a squeaking noise. it also makes a noise when i release the handbrake - sounds as if its coming from the back, maybe the brake pads.

any ideas on how i can cure this. i had new pads on the back about 6 weeks ago - it was making this noise before as well.

audi 1.8T 1998
noisy handbrake - audi 1.8T - madf
I had this on an A4 especially when wet. The rear disks rust, the pads stick (or the handbrake cable sticks. When you start off, it all releases with a bang.

Either: use the brakes hard: down a long hill at speed >50mph and get the rear brakes to work and derust them or leave it in gear with the handbrake off (not safe imo) or ensure you don't park it with wet brakes...

madf

noisy handbrake - audi 1.8T - El Dingo
My guess is that this is actually the rear suspension squeaking/creaking. It's a known 'fault' on some VAG cars. I had this very badly on a Seat Leon.
El Dingo.
hi

ive taken the handbrake off and bounced the back of the car as i first thought that it was the suspension and it didnt make the noise.

il try using the brakes hard and see if that cures it.

not a problem really just a bit annoying when it makes the creaking noise!
noisy handbrake - audi 1.8T - Civic8
Could be wrong. But sounds like brake creep..Its when the handbrake adjustment either on cable/caliper allows the brakes to not fully lock the disc/drum..Slight adjustment poss needed..Just a thought?
--
Steve
good point - il try pulling the handbrake up further and if not then il just live with the noise!