Poll 34. Labour charges. - Dynamic Dave
**** Poll now closed. Results here:- **** www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=30413&...e This weeks poll, as suggested by mfarrow:-

Poll 34. How much does your garage charge you per hour for labour come service time?
less than £20
less than £30 but more than £20
less than £40 but more than £30
less than £50 but more than £40
less than £60 but more than £50
less than £70 but more than £60
more than £70
I do servicing myself
Service? What service?

Poll 34. Labour charges. - L'escargot
I imagine that it is £40-50, but I'm only guessing. They give me a bill, and I pay the money.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Poll 34. Labour charges. - blue_haddock
Our dealership charges £73 inc VAT

The place i'm going to shortly to get some stuff done works for the price of a bacon butty - cheers dad!
The place i'm going to shortly to get some stuff done
works for the price of a bacon butty - cheers dad!

Price has suddenly gone up - today dad not only wanted a bacon butty but also requested black pudding too.
Poll 34. Labour charges. - Altea Ego
WHats with the less than £20 pounds option? thats going to get a lot of button presses methinks (NOT)
Poll 34. Labour charges. - mfarrow
What's with the less than £20 pounds option? that's going to
get a lot of button presses methinks (NOT)

Friend or family in the trade? live outside the UK where rates are cheaper?

--------------
Mike Farrow
"live outside the UK where rates are cheaper?"

Then it should say ?20 or 20 rand or 20A$ or .. or... or...

Just trying to prevent the pedants on here from muddying the waters as they do.
Poll 34. Labour charges. - Tomo
How does one know if the bill shows a labour charge but not the number of minutes actually taken by the job?
How does one know if the bill shows a labour charge
but not the number of minutes actually taken by the job?

What they charge you for and what the job actually takes are usually two different things!

Our invoices don't show actual minutes used it's more like units of time with an hour being 1, half hour being 0.5 and so on.
Our invoices don't show actual minutes used it's more like units
of time with an hour being 1, half hour being 0.5
and so on.

You don't have to be a genius to convert tenths of an hour to minutes, should you so desire.
--
Poll 34. Labour charges. - Ex-Moderator
>>Service? What service? = 3 votes

Hah !! Converts to the cause.
Poll 34. Labour charges. - Orson {P}
There was a programme on BBC 4 last night that would have appealed to some on this board. It was called "The Pedants Revolt." I'm not sure whether there was an apostrophe missing by design or default. It was extremely funny - the best bit came when they asked a chap (regimantal blazer, handlebar moustache) from the Queens English Society whether he would describe himself as a pedant.

"Depends upon how you define pedant" came the reply.

O
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Poll 34. Labour charges. - mfarrow
I'm not sure whether there was an apostrophe missing
by design or default.

"Revolt" can be either a noun or a verb so they were talking about "the pedants revolting" rather than "a revolt by the pedants".

RF,

If I was going to be pedantic toward my own poll I could question what "pound" (£) we are talking about? If it's the British pound then surely each line should be edited to read GBP instead?

--------------
Mike Farrow
If I was going to be pedantic toward my own poll I could question what "pound" (£) we are talking about? If it's the British pound then surely each line should be edited to read GBP instead?

Nope. The international symbol for the UK pound is £ not GBP £GP or GP£

They are

UK pound £
Cyprus pound £C
Egypt Pound £E
Lebanon pound (livre) LL
Syria Pound £S

I Ignored the Sudan pound becuase it went out in the 90's and ignored the Falklands Pound (£F) the Gibralter pound (£G) as they are fixed to the GB pound (£)
Poll 34. Labour charges. - Adam {P}
Pedant....no wait - that's not the word I'm looking for.

Show off!

;-)
--
Adam
>>Service? What service? = 3 votes
Hah !! Converts to the cause.

Better make that 2 votes. My vote was the result of an involuntary twitch of the finger, and hence was not intentional.
--
Poll 34. Labour charges. - Estrada
Between 1 and 2 pounds a hour even at a main dealer............but i do live in the Philippines.
I suspect that most people don't know. Certainly I do not.
Poll 34. Labour charges. - martint123
I suspect that most people don't know. Certainly I do not.

It was in groats when you last had a service done ;)
Poll 34. Labour charges. - Truckersunite
I recently had to have a key recoded on a Renault, the dealer quoted £37 for 1/2 hour work, thats £74 per our inc vat. I needed to wait while he did it and from the time he got into to the car, took it to the workshop and then did the job and drove it back outside was less then six minutes!!! needless to say I had a few words and only paid £15 for the job. It was daylight robbery, and they say they can't make any money!!!!!!

I always ask them the book time on a job before they start as well, and then if I have a problem ask to see the job card and have also asked in the past if it was a new guy doing the work. I won't pay for their training if it takes longer then the book time.
I always ask them the book time on a job before
they start as well, and then if I have a problem
ask to see the job card and have also asked in
the past if it was a new guy doing the work.
I won't pay for their training if it takes longer then
the book time.

So let me get this straight - you will only pay for the time it actually takes to do a job, if it takes less time then great but if it takes longer you start accusing them of swinging the lead and trying to rip you off?

Poll 34. Labour charges. - Truckersunite
Yep, You got it spot on. They set book times so that we all get a fair deal. A good tech will get the job done quicker, a bad one will take longer, why should I pay for his incompetence? You don't have to pay like that in any other industry, so why should I when it is costing me £74 an hour? I wish I got paid even half that per hour!! (not suggesting that tech's do get paid anywhere near that) Garages are a licence to print money imho.
What happens if something like a bolt is seized or something similar?

It's no-ones fault but it isn't included in the book time, it's on your car and therefore you have to pay for the time it takes to do the work.
Poll 34. Labour charges. - Civic8
>>It's no-ones fault but it isn't included in the book time,

Fitter loses out on his bonus.Longer job takes less he/she earns in a week..Its rare a fitter wont finish a job under time.But it does happen.But thats his loss not customers
--
Steve
>>I always ask them the book time on a job before they start as well, and then if I have a problem ask to see the job card and have also asked in the past if it was a new guy doing the work. I won't pay for their training if it takes longer then the book time.

You will have been given a price before the work is done. Time the job takes as given them by manufacturer. This includes parts + the VAT..You will only see the invoice. not the jobcard/sheet that the fitter fills in.You have to pay amount specified by the service dep..You wont actualy see the true time it takes to do the job. But you need to realise some jobs can take longer than specified for any number of reasons.But those jobs completed before time Are fitters Bonus.An apprentice may get paid by fitter in charge of him/her for helping his bonus.But certainly only gets normal weekly wage *not bonus* from garage.Very often a trainee will be given a job that may take longer than usual but you are not charged for any extra time
--
Steve
>>It was in groats when you last had a service done ;)

Groats ? Plural !?!? Damn that inflation.
Poll 34. Labour charges. - smokie
I was recently charged £145 + VAT for "preliminary inspection" of a Ford Focus which had failed on the motorway, and was towed to them. I had the car removed from that garage as I wanted the cambelt replacement done under warranty by my friendly mech, who had replaced it about 8 months before - so I suspect they piled it on a bit as they didn't get the work.

My friendly mech said that to do what they had done (remove cambelt cover, remove rocker cover, look at cambelt, see it was OK but adjuster was bust, then put it back together) would have taken him about 20 mins.

So although my rate is a staggering £435 ph I was restricted to vote for over £70.

Needless to say, I have written to the dealer for an explanation of how they arrived at their cost...
smokie. you are basing the rate on an independent.They opperate at lower cost than M/D.In most cases mechanics get a set rate of pay per week/month.Its different at M/D.Prices are set as to manufacturers recommendation..For instance.clutch job man/states 4 hours to change..Fitter does it in 2 hours.You still get charged for 4 hours labour + parts+ vat.Fitter gets bonus at his hourly rate.Rest of profit goes to garage..Right or wrong thats how it works...Or used to.I think it still does but anyone correct me if wrong??

"preliminary inspection" is an inspection to price specified.whether it takes 1/2 hour or 2..untill fault found!
--
Steve
Poll 34. Labour charges. - Dynamic Dave

The results of this weeks poll are:-

Poll 34. How much does your garage charge you per hour for labour come service time?

less than £20 = 3 (3%)
less than £30 but more than £20 = 11 (13%)
less than £40 but more than £30 = 16 (20%)
less than £50 but more than £40 = 5 (6%)
less than £60 but more than £50 = 3 (3%)
less than £70 but more than £60 = 7 (8%)
more than £70 = 16 (20%)
I do servicing myself = 15 (18%)
Service? What service? = 4 (5%)

Total Votes: 80