SORN = Storage + MOT?? - David W
Did anyone else notice the Saturday Telegraph (Motoring) article last weekend about Andrew English laying up his Aston for the Winter?

He comments about putting the car on SORN then mentions it still needs an MOT during that period.

I hope not!

David
Re: SORN = Storage + MOT?? - Dan J
What about the people with kit cars, or those renovating their previously taxed car? You can't take a chassis down to your local garage for an MOT!

Must be an error surely? What do you think?
Re: SORN = Storage + MOT?? - John S
I was a bit confused about that, but came to the conclusion it must be an error. The whole point of SORN is that you are declaring the car to be off the road, although temporarily, and so retain registration. By definition it no longer needs road tax or MOT, and indeed insurance is at your option.

Regards

John
Re: SORN = Storage + MOT?? - Honest John
No. You only need an MOT to re-tax the car. But obviously if you have a fresh one when you put it away for the winter, not having to put it though an MOT when you exhume it next Spring is one less hassle.

HJ
Re: SORN = Storage + MOT?? - ladas are slow
i am glad that you dont have to have an mot even if the cars in a garage, because i would have to take my car to the MOT station bit by bit.
Re: SORN = Storage + MOT?? - markymarkn
But won't you have lost 3 months worth of MOT HJ?
Re: SORN = Storage + MOT?? - richard turpin
SORN seems to have been invented by bureaucrats for bureaucrats. It must cost a lot to administer hence the fixed penalty fines for non compliance. I comply every time. Costs a stamp. Easy. When you want to use the car again, you just behave normally. ie: go to get your MOT then get tax. Remember, the SORN does not state anything other than the PRESENT situation. You do not lie in a SORN if you drive a car on the road in the future.
The forms for EVERYTHING seem to be the fasion at the moment. There is an "up side". This is that provided you fill in the form, then you can do whatever the hell you want.

Just think. If Santa had to fill in the sort of forms now considered normal, there would be NO Christmas. Amen.
Re: SORN = Storage + MOT?? - THe Growler
My Mustang is in professional storage with Carbank Ltd (www.carbank.co.uk) in Sussex and has the SORN done every year. It is only MOT-ed when I decide I want to take it on the road, e.g. vacations. This facility handles large numbers of classics and they would not get the paperwork wrong. I would think the motoring writer was the one who made the error.
Re: SORN = Storage + MOT?? - Alyn Beattie
This is one of those
"did you know" postings

You have declared a SORN only when it is entered on the Swansea computer

Proof of posting is not an acceptable defence against the fixed penalty fine.

Thats bureaucracy for you
Re: SORN = Storage + MOT?? - pugugly
Clue is in the title as (Off Road) no need for an MOT or Insurance in those circumstances, if you keep your motor insured it might be worth keeping an MoT on it. I saw an insurance company weedle out of a stolen vehicle claim when the owner had kept if off road but insured with no MoT....they pointed to the small print about roadworthiness...... T***S !