Engine Flushing oil...good or bad?? - audi80tdi
Was thinking of servicing my high mileage diesel car and was thinking of using engine flush.
any one got experience of it? is it good or bad?
does it really work?
Engine Flushing oil...good or bad?? - mfarrow
This has been discussed many times on here and IIRC does work but can cause problems on old and high mileage cars by dislodging crud that has previously been keeping oil seals leak free.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Engine Flushing oil...good or bad?? - Roger Jones
I would change the oil & filter and give the car a sustained work-out over, say, 1000 miles, and then change oil & filter again. If the engine has previously been well lubricated (frequent changes), flushing oil isn't needed; if it has been neglected, flushing oil may do as described above.
Engine Flushing oil...good or bad?? - audi80tdi
the engine has been badly neglected.
mechanic took of one pipe (dont know whick one) and he showed me the amount of carbon deposited. it was like a clogged artery. Im assuming rest of the engine will also be pretty bad.

i though if i put in some flushing oil it will clean all that junk out..wat u reckon?
Engine Flushing oil...good or bad?? - mfarrow
I'm no expert on how to get rid of carbon but I'd have thought a flush wouldn't shift much, especially if it's blocking oil ways going to bearing surfaces, carbon won't shift past there in a hurry. In fact you run the risk of these oil-ways being blocked up even more.

Do what has been suggested and do a few regular oil changes.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Engine Flushing oil...good or bad?? - Cliff Pope
If he just pulled off a pipe to show you it's unlikely to have been an oil pipe. I'd guess it was something in the crankcase ventilation system. They do clog up amazingly quickly.
I would give all that system a good clean out, and also round the air intake to the throttle etc.
I used to think flushing oil was a good thing, but agree now that regular ordinary oil changes are the best.
Engine Flushing oil...good or bad?? - nortones2
Its possible this was the intake: they have been known to get clogged up, possibly when engine is run on unsuitable oils, by deposits from the EGR. It'll take more than a flush to get rid: more like a decoke of old! See the references to Freds that I think have been given before, and check what you saw with your mechanic before taking it any further. Don't waste money on "miracle" cures.